Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 07:01 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times

Advertisements

For the not so small GOP anti-Trump crowd such as myself, if Trump ends up being the GOP nominee, his VP choice may make the difference between holding their nose and voting for him or refusing to vote for him in whatever form it takes. So who should he not consider and why?

For instance, I will start with someone who stands behind him at speeches, Chris Christie. He is temperamentally too much like Trump, comes from the same region of the country, and isn't popular with the establishment crowd either. He would be more of a hindrance than a help.

Another I would put on the list is Kasich, but for a different reason. He has no qualms about stabbing someone in the back. Regardless of what you think about candidates working together to prevent another candidate from winning, Kasich did come to that agreement. Supposedly he did it right before Florida, but he definitely just made that deal with Cruz. The deal was he would walk away from Indiana and Cruz would from New Mexico and Oregon because the only chance either of them have is to prevent Trump from winning. Yet, a mere couple of hours later he said his supporters in Indiana should still vote for him. That says some nasty things about his character and scruples, plus indicates a VP that would be willing to not support what a president he served under was trying to achieve if it meant getting a leg up for himself.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:10 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
For the not so small GOP anti-Trump crowd such as myself, if Trump ends up being the GOP nominee, his VP choice may make the difference between holding their nose and voting for him or refusing to vote for him in whatever form it takes. So who should he not consider and why?

For instance, I will start with someone who stands behind him at speeches, Chris Christie. He is temperamentally too much like Trump, comes from the same region of the country, and isn't popular with the establishment crowd either. He would be more of a hindrance than a help.

Another I would put on the list is Kasich, but for a different reason. He has no qualms about stabbing someone in the back. Regardless of what you think about candidates working together to prevent another candidate from winning, Kasich did come to that agreement. Supposedly he did it right before Florida, but he definitely just made that deal with Cruz. The deal was he would walk away from Indiana and Cruz would from New Mexico and Oregon because the only chance either of them have is to prevent Trump from winning. Yet, a mere couple of hours later he said his supporters in Indiana should still vote for him. That says some nasty things about his character and scruples, plus indicates a VP that would be willing to not support what a president he served under was trying to achieve if it meant getting a leg up for himself.
Via the process of elimination, you may end up with Rubio as Trump's VP choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 07:11 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Trump should not consider any VP candidate who holds establishment views especially pertaining to immigration and trade policy. If the only thing stopping the party elite from getting their agenda back on track is a single heartbeat, it would be far too tempting for them to find a way to get that heartbeat to stop beating prematurely. This is Big Stakes Poker, remember. Some say Obama picked Biden as his running mate for similar reasons.

Last edited by Fifty Seven; 04-27-2016 at 07:20 AM..

Old 04-27-2016, 07:15 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
I would eliminate any of the previous contenders from this race and Romney.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:19 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Who shouldn't be considered by Trump for VP ?
Low energy Jeb, Little Marco, Lyin Ted, Hop scotch Walker, Mittens, one for 38 Kasich.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:19 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I doubt it as I foresee him running for Governor instead.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:20 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Nice inflammatory start to a thread that you admit you don't give a hoot about.

You don't want to discuss. You want to strew discord.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:20 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
I agree that Kasich is becoming poison and more and more so with each primary. Still it would give him Ohio, not much else since Kasich isn't even very popular in his neighboring states. I think Rubio would be a good choice. He's young, knows foreign policy and is a great campaigner and public speaker. Too bad Rubio made a fool of himself in the primaries but maybe he can be redeemed. At least he won't be seen as a sore loser and spoiler like Kasich and Cruz. He got out of the race when he should have as has pretty much kept his mouth shut since.
There are 3-4 well liked female senators that Trump should be considering.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:22 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
BTW, for those who say Trump shouldn't have an establishment VP or a VP that already has a political history, Trump has already stated he IS going to pick someone in politics. So get used to that idea.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:23 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
I doubt it as I foresee him running for Governor instead.
He has said he won't run for Governor in 2018, though I remain skeptical of that.

At any rate, it's hard to see how putting the Trump millstone around his neck would enhance in any way his political future. It's true that almost everyone who eventually becomes a running mate has previously disavowed such a role for themselves, but I think a lot of relatively younger Republicans who see themselves as having a political future will pass on jumping off the electoral cliff hand-in-hand with Trump - getting crushed in a general election isn't going to burnish anyone's political resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections