Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 01:41 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm very happy with the way this election is going, Rob. Way back in July, shortly after Trump announced, I dreamed the impossible dream that the Republicans would be stupid enough to put up Trump as their nominee. I thought, surely they won't be this retarded ... but wait, they did put Palin on their ticket ... they were taking hard looks at luminaries like Herman Cain in 2012 (LOL!), I think Trump just might win.

Long-term though, I don't think what is happening to the Republicantwin Party is good for democracy. After their historic defeat this year, I hope they regroup and find a way to become a viable national party. One-party rule isn't good. They're going to have to do two things .... one, acknowledge that the working class is long overdue for a raise in their standard of living. Somehow, the Grand Old Plutocracy is going to have throw the dogs a few bones .. two, they're going to have realize that minorities now outvote racists, so it's time to put away the dog whistles and start to become a truly multicultural party.

Can the GOP do this? Hmmm..... I wouldn't bet on it.
I think you nailed it. They need to quit catering to the fringes.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:42 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Dems wouldn't be obsessed with imaginary election results if they weren't worried.
Worried? Uh no, I'm far from worried. The only worry that I have is that the Republican Party isn't going to learn its lessons from this election and is going to further devolve into an untenable national party. I think for the sake of democracy we need two viable parties.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:51 AM

736 posts, read 353,555 times
Quote:
This is the prediction by the Center for Politics, a nonpartisan organization, which did everything it could do to give Trump a state. If there was even a remote possibility Trump would win a state, they gave it to him. Trump fans, come on now ... join you're friends who were feeling the Bern and face up to facts. Trump is a non starter.

Can Donald Trump really win the White House?

I don't care what those charts say. I would rather lose with Trump and lose the senate/house before I will give those career politicians their choice of candidate. Everyone seen those charts already. If those charts or data didn't convince people to vote for Jeb, Rubio, or Cruz several months ago, what makes you think we will suddenly change our mind? Let the GOP burn. Perhaps next time a career politicians will think twice before they associate or try to pass another open trade deal, illegal immigration friendly legislation, or more political correct pandering.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:54 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
I don't care what those charts say. I would rather lose with Trump and lose the senate/house before I will give those career politicians their choice of candidate. Everyone seen those charts already. If those charts or data didn't convince people to vote for Jeb, Rubio, or Cruz several months ago, what makes you think we will suddenly change our mind? Let the GOP burn.
Why do you want the GOP to burn? You'd like to see one-party Democratic rule for the duration of your lifetime? I'm a Democrat, and I don't want to see that.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:04 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
I don't care what those charts say. I would rather lose with Trump and lose the senate/house before I will give those career politicians their choice of candidate. Everyone seen those charts already. If those charts or data didn't convince people to vote for Jeb, Rubio, or Cruz several months ago, what makes you think we will suddenly change our mind? Let the GOP burn. Perhaps next time a career politicians will think twice before they associate or try to pass another open trade deal, illegal immigration friendly legislation, or more political correct pandering.
Well, from living in California -- I used to feel like you do. But I changed my mind once I saw how totally ineffective nonpolitical people were once they got elected. I think I'd much rather have a career politician who has to EARN my vote before every election.

This is the problem with term limits too. When a politician thinks a job is only going to last X number of years, they have no incentive to work. They work to get elected, then they kick back until they are kicked out. The ways the laws are written, they get a full pension just by getting elected so we are paying for these people FOREVER once they get elected once.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:06 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Cruz may do slightly better, but I agree that he can't win either. I'm curious, didn't you know months ago that Trump would lose in the general? Was there a candidate you could have backed who could have actually had a chance? The psychology of the Republican primary voter baffles me. As a Democrat, I vote to win. Bernie is a better match for my views, but I know he can't win in a general election so I went with Clinton who is more conservative than I'd like, but she's far better than any one the other side is going to put up. Why would you support Trump with the full knowledge that the end result would be another Clinton administration?
The Republican Party hasn't just pandered to the fringes, it has fostered ideological litmus tests as well. Well, emphasizing ideology over pragmatism attracts ideologues, who are believers blinded by the "truth" of their beliefs. That's why they'd rather lose elections than compromise, and in 2016, the ideological crows came home to roost in spades in the persons of Donald Trump and Ted Cruz.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:55 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
If this is true, get ready for 4 more years of no economic growth and income equality. Isis will run Europe. But no more complaint. Meanwhile, Hilary will become billionaire.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:06 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
This is the prediction by the Center for Politics, a nonpartisan organization, which did everything it could do to give Trump a state. If there was even a remote possibility Trump would win a state, they gave it to him. Trump fans, come on now ... join you're friends who were feeling the Bern and face up to facts. Trump is a non starter.

Can Donald Trump really win the White House?

And she does it with less votes ? The real question seems to be how does one live in a fantasy and dream of one too ?

Exclusive - CLINTON CRASH: Hillary Has Received Hundreds of Thousands Fewer Votes in 2016 vs. 2008 - Breitbart

Old 05-01-2016, 08:10 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,931 times
Quote:
Why do you want the GOP to burn? You'd like to see one-party Democratic rule for the duration of your lifetime? I'm a Democrat, and I don't want to see that.
Agree it would be even worse news for our country if we had only one party winning election. I would love to see a third party come about in this country.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:19 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
The Republican Party hasn't just pandered to the fringes, it has fostered ideological litmus tests as well. Well, emphasizing ideology over pragmatism attracts ideologues, who are believers blinded by the "truth" of their beliefs. That's why they'd rather lose elections than compromise, and in 2016, the ideological crows came home to roost in spades in the persons of Donald Trump and Ted Cruz.
Open borders with amnesty for millions of parasitic lawbreakers is no compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections