U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2008, 08:51 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,435 posts, read 16,427,618 times
Reputation: 5224

Advertisements

I went to the hillary rally tonight in san antonio, texas. i liked what she had to say about taking american military out in iraq in 60 days. I liked what she had to say about creating "green" jobs, affordable higher education. she lost me with her support of the dream act which pays for higher education for illegal aliens. why on earth is she putting their needs on top of citizens who were born and raised here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2008, 09:00 PM
 
17,535 posts, read 19,702,562 times
Reputation: 7290
Because all democrats want it... why would she be any different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 09:13 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,920,597 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I went to the hillary rally tonight in san antonio, texas. i liked what she had to say about taking american military out in iraq in 60 days. I liked what she had to say about creating "green" jobs, affordable higher education. she lost me with her support of the dream act which pays for higher education for illegal aliens. why on earth is she putting their needs on top of citizens who were born and raised here?
The bill does not pay for higher education for illegal immigrants. It gives legal status to illegal immigrants who were brought here as children, graduated from high school and finish 2 years of college or 2 years of military service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 09:16 PM
 
17,535 posts, read 19,702,562 times
Reputation: 7290
Oh, its even worse, its seems to be Amnesty...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 09:18 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,920,597 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Oh, its even worse, its seems to be Amnesty...
I don't see any harm in passing something like that.


Quote:
To qualify, a DREAM Act beneficiary would have to meet certain requirements such as:
  • Proof of having arrived in the United States at age 15 or younger.
  • Proof of residence in the United States for a least five (5) consecutive years since their date of arrival.
  • Must be between the ages of 12 and 30 at time of bill enactment.
  • Having graduated from an American high school, or obtained a GED.
  • "Good moral character," essentially defined as the absence of a significant criminal record (or any major drug charges), compliance with Selective Service laws and an absence of fraudulent information in documents
DREAM Act (http://www.nilc.org/immlawpolicy/DREAM/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 09:21 PM
 
17,535 posts, read 19,702,562 times
Reputation: 7290
No fine? Sounds like they are getting the better end of the deal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 09:32 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,435 posts, read 16,427,618 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I don't see any harm in passing something like that.

No problem with amnesty? you have to consider the safety net costs of providing benefits to these ppl when they retire. because the great majority or poor and poorly educated, they will qualify for social security, medicare & medicaid benefits, etc. there was another post which estimated the NET cost at $2.6 trillion. just who do you think will pay for that?



DREAM Act (http://www.nilc.org/immlawpolicy/DREAM/ - broken link)
the dream act takes away from native born citizens by giving illegal's children in-state tuition when most colleges and universities will not even give that benefit to citizens from other states that attend those colleges. that will also leave those kids to compete with native born kids who are competing for scholarships. if you ask me who to pick, i will always side with american kids, not opportunists from mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 09:35 PM
 
32 posts, read 21,437 times
Reputation: 12
Yes, but it is not like those children got to decide whether they could stay in Mexico or not. (Sorry for stereotype thinking that all illegal immigrants are from Mexico, but most of them are)

Basically think about it coming here from another country as a child adapting to American Culture then having to be treated so bad by the government? It is not fair to the youth in most regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
the dream act takes away from native born citizens by giving illegal's children in-state tuition when most colleges and universities will not even give that benefit to citizens from other states that attend those colleges. that will also leave those kids to compete with native born kids who are competing for scholarships. if you ask me who to pick, i will always side with american kids, not opportunists from mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 09:38 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,346,365 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty123 View Post
Yes, but it is not like those children got to decide whether they could stay in Mexico or not. (Sorry for stereotype thinking that all illegal immigrants are from Mexico, but most of them are)

Basically think about it coming here from another country as a child adapting to American Culture then having to be treated so bad by the government? It is not fair to the youth in most regards.
And its not like American kids got to decide to stay here in America, or go to Mexico. So tell me why our kids should have to pay for college while those from Mexico get to go for free?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 09:39 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,346,365 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I went to the hillary rally tonight in san antonio, texas. i liked what she had to say about taking american military out in iraq in 60 days. I liked what she had to say about creating "green" jobs, affordable higher education. she lost me with her support of the dream act which pays for higher education for illegal aliens. why on earth is she putting their needs on top of citizens who were born and raised here?
Funny, last debate I watched, she wouldnt even commit to troops outside of Iraq by the end of her first year in office, now its 60 days. She floats with the polls depending on where she is campaigning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:49 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top