Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 06:48 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
But.....

Unlike the others, Trump put his money where his mouth is.

He spent $50,000,000 out of his own pocket to run the campaign. If the goal was to inflate ego and increase brand, there were certainly much better ways to do it.
No, Trump did not spend any close to $50,000,000 of his own money. Most of that was loans that Trump can repay himself before the convention. I will bet anything that Trump will repay himself using other people's campaign donations.

According to Politifact:
Quote:
It’s worth noting a couple more caveats. First, Trump’s self-financing only really picked up in the last three months of 2015. From the start of his campaign in April through October last year, individual contributions made up about 67 percent of total money raised for his campaign.

Other media outlets who looked at this claim before the most recent FEC filings concluded that Trump’s claim was inaccurate because, at the time, most of his funding was coming from individual contributions.

But in the last quarter, Trump gave his campaign a $10.8 million loan, turning that balance around.

That brings us to the second caveat: The vast majority of Trump’s contributions to his own campaign — about $12.6 million — are loans rather than donations. This means he could expect to eventually recoup these funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 06:53 AM

4,513 posts, read 4,039,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Hypocrite Trump doesn't agree with you and you fell for the political rhetoric. You've been had. He portrayed the guy as vile to get your vote. Trump, the hypocrite, is singing a different tune this morning......
"Ted Cruz...is one hell of a competitor. He is a tough, smart guy, and he has got an amazing future."
-Donald J. Trump has kind words for his GOP presidential rivals
More: Candidates address supporters on primary night | MSNBC
https://youtu.be/5oO4YqOGClY?t=7m53s

Trump isn't a sorry winner. He's trying to give him the best send off as a former competitor. People didn't vote for Cruz mainly because he would have been an unelected candidate for proudly being apart of rigged elections. This isn't china, the guy shouldn't be in any american office anywhere ever. Maybe he should instead try business and earning stuff with intelligence instead of it being handed to him.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:23 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
It's called trying to unite the party which is what most Republicans want to see. It does not go unnoticed you're a Hellary supporter and have been all along while bashing Trump.

"GO TRUMP" or live in a 3rd world dump under Hellary.
So much for being 'undecided'. The anti-Trumps have had an agenda from Day One....because they knew in their heart of hearts he would be the nominee. Now they are running scared because they know their candidate is not a slam dunk, as much as they pretend it will be.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:28 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
No, Trump did not spend any close to $50,000,000 of his own money. Most of that was loans that Trump can repay himself before the convention. I will bet anything that Trump will repay himself using other people's campaign donations.

According to Politifact:
So? He used his OWN money and is not beholden to donors because of it. That's admirable. And exactly what he has been saying all along. He's self funding his campaign. He was frugal with his money and didn't blow through it like a drunken sailor, unlike his competitors who spent millions with very little results.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:32 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
So much for being 'undecided'. The anti-Trumps have had an agenda from Day One....because they knew in their heart of hearts he would be the nominee. Now they are running scared because they know their candidate is not a slam dunk, as much as they pretend it will be.
My candidate left the race months ago - but now that Trump is the GOP nominee, I'll definitely be looking at other options come November 8, 2016. Don't think for a minute that just because Trump won the GOP nomination he'll automatically inherit all GOP voters or Independents who have been against him.

He's a despicable human-being. So bad that Clinton is becoming a viable option. She might be the best of two evils.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:33 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,294 times
Were gonna make great deals folks...great deals. Carl Icahn, one of the many greats, has endorsed me. Great deals folks, great deals.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:59 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Enter Tyrant | The American Conservative

Old 05-04-2016, 10:03 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,512,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
My candidate left the race months ago - but now that Trump is the GOP nominee, I'll definitely be looking at other options come November 8, 2016. Don't think for a minute that just because Trump won the GOP nomination he'll automatically inherit all GOP voters or Independents who have been against him.

He's a despicable human-being. So bad that Clinton is becoming a viable option. She might be the best of two evils.
Exactly right. It is not about who has a "R" or a "D" next to their name for me and apparently you, and many others. The candidate has to be trustworthy to at least some reasonable degree, they have to represent my beliefs and values to an acceptable extent and also what is best for this country.

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton satisfy literally none of these minimal requirements. How anyone can in good conscience vote for either of these two despicable human beings, as you say, is really beyond me. But I can't, that is for certain.

As far as the Republican party, let it die. It has failed its constituents so badly that it needs to die and Trump's ability to hijack the party for his own purposes is a clear demonstration of that. Something else will replace it soon enough and I do not identify myself by that label in any case. So good riddance.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:10 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,246,982 times
2008: Community Organizer with very little actual experience wins Dem nomination.

2016: Reality TV star wins GOP nomination.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:14 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,512,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
2008: Community Organizer with very little actual experience wins Dem nomination.

2016: Reality TV star wins GOP nomination.
The last three elections in a row with this crap, and Hillary is not any better. It is a pretty clear trend that is showing our country pointing downwards at a very steep angle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections