Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 10:15 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Not true since the US Government finances most deficits short term, i.e. less than a year..

Some bonds are already being issued with negative rates, meaning they give you $100, but then cash out at $99

The Economist explains: Why investors buy bonds with negative yields | The Economist
Hmmm, I'm talking about the debt, not the deficit. I thought Trump was too.

1% of $20 trillion is not a very large reduction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 10:17 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
After all, they are the only creditors that the US has any power over. But I don't think that, so I don't advocate any such thing.
You're wrong. The American people are/should be the only creditors the US
does NOT have any power over. Of the people, BY the people, and FOR the people.
Please, go read my first post in this thread.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:24 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Hmmm, I'm talking about the debt, not the deficit. I thought Trump was too.

1% of $20 trillion is not a very large reduction.
If you are buying back $10K bonds at $9900 you did lower the debt, by $100.. and also the deficit, since you're using new debt to pay back the $9900 and not paying interest on the $100 you just saved..

Old 05-06-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
You're wrong. The American people are/should be the only creditors the US
does NOT have any power over. Of the people, BY the people, and FOR the people.
Please, go read my first post in this thread.

????? I'm talking about legal jurisdiction. Please explain how we could, legally, force Chinese citizens, for instance, to sell their debt back to us at a large discount, without creating an international financial crisis.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
If you are buying back $10K bonds at $9900 you did lower the debt, by $100.. and also the deficit, since you're using new debt to pay back the $9900 and not paying interest on the $100 you just saved..
But it still leaves a huge pile of money in the red column.

Again, I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, of course it should. Just that it's not, in itself, the solution. As Trump's comments seem to be implying. (Trump's comments also seem to imply that he doesn't know it's already being done.)

Old 05-06-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
But it still leaves a huge pile of money in the red column.

Again, I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, of course it should. Just that it's not, in itself, the solution. As Trump's comments seem to be implying. (Trump's comments also seem to imply that he doesn't know it's already being done.)
If he thought that was the only solution, then he wouldnt be proposing building a wall, kicking out illegals which would save $100 billion a year, while at the same time, raising salaries, (due to a lack of low skilled labor), which would also cut welfare, and increase tax revenues due to higher wages..

Again, Clinton cut welfare, which raised tax revenues, and contributed to almost balancing the budget..

its a complete picture and every bit helps.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:26 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So in other words, just default. Refuse to pay and then pitch one of his selfish little fits, call names and make blatantly dishonest accusations against anyone who dares to defy him.

Have you ever wondered what it would look like having a spoiled, petulant child as the President of the United States? Well, here you go.

He stiffed his creditors in the private sector, many of who were retirees, who owned his company's bonds as a vehicle to fund their retirement. What a great guy, don't you think?

In fact, Drumpf is a world-class slimeball, selfish to the core and as dishonest as they come. His conduct in his handling of financial obligations to others are of course just one example from a very long list.
The thing is and what no one is mentioning is that a President who refused to pay the national debt would have committed a crime under the constitution and would be open to be impeached. I know that few take it seriously that if drumpf becomes POTUS he very well could be the last one. He is likely to order the military to do something they will refuse and there you have it!! The end of the Republic as we know it.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:07 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
Quote:
????? I'm talking about legal jurisdiction. Please explain how we could, legally, force Chinese citizens, for instance, to sell their debt back to us at a large discount, without creating an international financial crisis.
China is free to accept any form of repayment that is negotiated upon
for their debt securities. Chinese citizens don't own the debt, their
government does.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The thing is and what no one is mentioning is that a President who refused to pay the national debt would have committed a crime under the constitution and would be open to be impeached. I know that few take it seriously that if drumpf becomes POTUS he very well could be the last one. He is likely to order the military to do something they will refuse and there you have it!! The end of the Republic as we know it.
A) negotating debt, is NOT defaulting
B) it would be voluntary based upon the creditors turning in their bonds early
C) its been done before NUMEROUS times..

Old 05-06-2016, 02:17 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,915,577 times
Quote:

A) negotiating debt, is NOT defaulting
B) it would be voluntary based upon the creditors turning in their bonds early
C) its been done before NUMEROUS times..

You are correct on the NUMEROUS TIMES- I've worked for a National Loss Mitigation Law Firm for eight years. Between short sales and loan modifications, every case is looked at the likely hood of washing arrears or reducing principle. Many cases result with a lower balance.

TRUMP is a master negotiator, he can renegotiating for better terms. One suggestion is paying off faster at an accelerated rate. Similar to a Bi-weekly program, knocking off term and saving on the interest.

Trump 2016

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections