Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 12:36 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,550,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
A couple of corrections to an otherwise pretty good post.

Cruz supporters will not be voting for Hillary.

Also, they will not support Trump.

They might come back to the Republican party if they thought it was going to respect and promote their values and principles. But truth be told, I think what we learned here from the DC establishment crowd this cycle is that all their campaign lies notwithstanding, that is just really not going to happen.

So while I doubt if this leads to the literal "end" of the Republican party, you would be hard pressed to find very many Cruz supporters who would mourn its passing if it did. I certainly wouldn't.

Whatever continues on out of this mess is going to be a fractured and bloody husk if what this cycle started with. If that can be reconstituted at all, it will not happen quickly or easily.
This is certainly not the first time a political party has fractured in the USA and probably won't be the last. The party fractured during the Civil war and took many years to regain ascendancy. The party was again dominant in the run up to the Great depression then broken (and ridiculed) again.

As a former supporter, I have enjoyed the last year. The party created their own mess - i.e. Cruz vs Trump. The party has moved to the right for the last 10 year or more and away from Centrism (away from fiscal and economic health as well as just plain getting things done). The establishment as it exists now, seems to be the party of sore losers - whether to the Democrats or to each other (ala Trump); We know better than you so just keep voting for the candidates we put up; if the top 20% does well then the country is doing well, etc.

This is a healthy cycle and hopefully something better emerges, for the sake of the country it needs to.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:46 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,424,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
The GOP is split and done. If nothing else, Trump has helped put an end to this decaying husk of a party, just by his nomination.
The Elite Establishment can't get over it. They won't. They barely did in 1980. But they ain't "getting over it" this time. They are not going to support the nominee, and the loathe the 13 million people who nominated him.
But it's not just that. The Cruz fans who are NOT part of the Establishment.......well they are just too hurt. They ain't coming back. They are sitting it out, voting Hillary, or somebody else. And most of them loathe the GOP now that their Special Guy did not get picked.

So, it's done. Over. Finished. Trump will win only by a miracle (namely, tons of independents and Dems voting for him).
Either way, this is a good thing
RIP, Republican Party. You were useless towards the end.
It will exist, will just be different. Personally I'd love to see both parties fold up and just have people running as independents, no D or R's after their name. I think this will help break up part of the "we vs them" nonsense the herd is playing these days/people are playing in droves on this forum.

A few observations:

1,) It's not YOUR(ie my) party as the title of this thread states. Never was. The party has told you in clear words it's THEIR party. Warning sign number one.

2.) The GOP to me was done decades ago/I think we are on the same page on that one. To me they long ago abandoned serving the people. They have had a majority in congress for a while now and they've basically done nothing to serve the people/what the party stands for so to me there's nothing to get nostalgic over.

3.) We can all thank the voters for electing in the current batch of people in. Trump is not a surprise....I'm frankly surprised it took this long for a trump to appear. The GOP's actions created him and now many whine about him in the party. Talk about irony. The creators, the voters and those in office, now whine...think about that.

Ditto for the democrat party on their actions not serving the people and the rise of sander's.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:17 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,860,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
if he chooses John Kasich for VP as predicted, I think the party will unify against their common foe
He could pick Jesus Christ himself as running mate, and a huge number of Establishment-types, Cruz-fans, and those who fall into BOTH categories are livid. "#NeverTrump", and all that jazz.

An astounding thing to see for this old-timer. We never saw #NeverRomney, or #NeverMcCain, or #NeverBush (of either variety), or #NeverDole (no Twitter back then but you get when I mean); or NeverANYBODY who got the nomination. Only this time.

It's done.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:25 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,169,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
You speak for more of us then the GOP establishment can imagine. Even Mary Matalin has stated that she has left the GOP for the Libertarian Party!

It's not a phase Donald.

#NeverTrump
But here's what Mary had to say about Trump ...

Of Mr. Trump, Ms. Matalin said she liked his attitude and what she knew of his economic policies, adding: “I just don’t know enough. I think not only could he win, I think he could win in a landslide if he would stop his high school boy antics with women; otherwise he’s going to force suburban women to Hillary.”

And then this which has NOTHING to do with Trump ...

She said conservatives were angry after two successive presidential elections in which they lost and with what appeared to be no response from Washington as the party was “falling apart.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/06/us...l-parties.html

Old 05-06-2016, 01:28 PM

19,055 posts, read 16,856,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
The GOP is split and done. If nothing else, Trump has helped put an end to this decaying husk of a party, just by his nomination.
The Elite Establishment can't get over it. They won't. They barely did in 1980. But they ain't "getting over it" this time. They are not going to support the nominee, and they loathe the 13 million people who nominated him.
But it's not just that. The Cruz fans who are NOT part of the Establishment.......well they are just too hurt. They ain't coming back. They are sitting it out, voting Hillary, or somebody else. And most of them loathe the GOP now that their Special Guy did not get picked.

So, it's done. Over. Finished. Trump will win only by a miracle (namely, tons of independents and Dems voting for him).
Either way, this is a good thing
RIP, Republican Party. You were useless towards the end.
Maybe its just that Trump provided the voice for what I believe is the bulk of the party membership. I think most party members are more moderate and capable of working with others, even during Reagan years there was the ability to work across the aisle. Somewhere the extreme right decided they would be the voice and they would control the party and if you don't agree your just a RINO. Well tough luck I am able to think for myself and I am casting a vote for the President, not a religious leader and not for anyone who adheres to the T Parties manifesto. Those seeking a spiritual president should perhaps revisit their house of worship and pray as appropriate.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:49 PM

18,755 posts, read 17,989,563 times
Religion in America is on the decline: U.S. Public Becoming Less Religious | Pew Research Center. Most voters support Planned Parenthood: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/fi...PP_Support.pdf. Most of the Country is now in favor of gay and lesbian rights: Changing Attitudes on Gay Marriage | Pew Research Center.

What I am saying is that our Country is changing. Many, in the Republican Party, refuse to recognize that change. They try to make these election issues and it all comes around to bite them in this ever changing society. It is long overdue for them to acknowledge reality and move on.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:52 PM

192 posts, read 240,574 times
This Libertarian might consider voting for a Republican again if the coming destruction leads to the party killing off and burying the bible thumping, "moral majority" bloc once and for all. They've been responsible for a slow and irreversible decline of the GOP since the rise of Jerry Falwell and his preachy social conservative minions. Their scion, their chosen one, Ted Cruz, was so unpopular and so soundly defeated that he couldn't even challenge a man like Donald effing Trump.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:53 PM

192 posts, read 240,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Religion in America is on the decline: U.S. Public Becoming Less Religious | Pew Research Center. Most voters support Planned Parenthood: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/fi...PP_Support.pdf. Most of the Country is now in favor of gay and lesbian rights: Changing Attitudes on Gay Marriage | Pew Research Center.

What I am saying is that our Country is changing. Many, in the Republican Party, refuse to recognize that change. They try to make these election issues and it all comes around to bite them in this ever changing society. It is long overdue for them to acknowledge reality and move on.
That's the truth. The sooner the Moral Majority and it's demon spawn are turned to ashes, the better off the GOP will be.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

It's funny to see people ascribe this split to pure ideology and issues. That's not the real world of flesh and blood humans.
In reality, the GOP Establishment hates Trump because he attacked them, and isn't one of them. He went right over their heads to try to get the nomination, and used tactics that the GOP Establishment doesn't "approve of". It's just the "good old boys (and girls) club" being really ticked at the outsider who beat them soundly (first time ever).
The Cruz folks? Well sure there is some ideology involved. But mostly it's because they truly see him as The One, in fact America's last chance. And he got beat. By a guy who hammered Cruz verbally. (I donated to Cruz, so I definitely get the attraction to him. But the idea that he is some Conservative Messiah....wow, it is an INTENSE feeling by his fans! And they ain't getting over their anger).

Old 05-06-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCarmel View Post
This Libertarian might consider voting for a Republican again if the coming destruction leads to the party killing off and burying the bible thumping, "moral majority" bloc once and for all. They've been responsible for a slow and irreversible decline of the GOP since the rise of Jerry Falwell and his preachy social conservative minions. Their scion, their chosen one, Ted Cruz, was so unpopular and so soundly defeated that he couldn't even challenge a man like Donald effing Trump.
Cruz polled 5% last summer. His campaign was actually darned amazing. (He's not even all that likeable personally but he ran a good campaign and did well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.