Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 07:16 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
While current polling leads us to believe Trump will be crushed in November's presidential election, it's important for those who oppose him to stay vigilant. We need to be legitimately afraid that he could win in order to fight him with all of our energy.

Here are some factors that make me worry that Trump could prevail:

1) Trump and his followers are the comments section. Have you ever made the mistake of scrolling down to the comments section to find one after another of the most vile remarks imaginable? And you think, who are these people and how are there possibly so many of them?! Well they are now filling stadiums and cheering for Trump. I think we've tried to console ourselves by theorizing that the comments section can't possibly be representative of the majority of Americans. But maybe we really have fallen that far. Maybe our populace really has become so amoral and frankly stupid that Trump could win.
In what alternate universe are Trump supporters making "the most vile remarks imaginable"? If anything, it's the anti-Trumps who are hurling around insults. You have a vivid imagination.

So, what you're saying that you are perfectly fine with the status quo. You know, the status quo where politicians on both sides of the aisle are in the pockets of their mega-rich donors and thus are beholden to said donors. Due to that, they put those donors ahead of their constituents. Sure, every now and then they make some noise and pretend to care and lie about getting something of substance done. When nothing happens, they point fingers at one another.

If the GOPe gets their way, they would be glad to see Hillary in office. That way both sides can continue to feed at the trough.

How anyone can be happy with the status quo is beyond me.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:18 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
I agree that we shouldn't reward those who have skirted the legal process, but the problem is not just illegals. We have too many legal immigrants coming to America as well. This is something that Trump has addressed in his immigration plan. His plan calls for a reduction in legal immigration and an overhaul of our entire immigration system. He also wants to reduce H1B visas and stop automatic citizenship for children of foreign nationals born on US soil. I agree with all of this.
Amen - I'm with ya and Trump 100%

Old 05-07-2016, 07:20 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Here's my feeling about it, as an old-ish lady, and political conservative. I am intrigued by what will happen, and I'm dying to see. I know, because I am old, that we will be fine, regardless.
As I have said in other posts, there are many Presidents in the past who I have thought would ruin the country, and yet they have not. Our founding fathers expected regular citizens who were eager to do a good job, to seek office, serve, and then go back to public life. Trump is one of those people who is not a professional politician..
I like hearing him say politically incorrect things. I say them all the time, and so does everyone I know. If we didn't have TV telling us what to think, we'd be less worried about him.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:22 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
In what alternate universe are Trump supporters making "the most vile remarks imaginable"? If anything, it's the anti-Trumps who are hurling around insults. You have a vivid imagination.

So, what you're saying that you are perfectly fine with the status quo. You know, the status quo where politicians on both sides of the aisle are in the pockets of their mega-rich donors and thus are beholden to said donors. Due to that, they put those donors ahead of their constituents. Sure, every now and then they make some noise and pretend to care and lie about getting something of substance done. When nothing happens, they point fingers at one another.

If the GOPe gets their way, they would be glad to see Hillary in office. That way both sides can continue to feed at the trough.

How anyone can be happy with the status quo is beyond me.
Again, this is what saddens and frustrates me most. I completely agree with the premise that the status quo has got to go. But I see Trump as the ultimate symbol of the status quo that I want abolished. He is the problem, not the solution.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:27 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
Quote:
Again, this is what saddens and frustrates me most. I completely agree with the premise that the status quo has got to go. But I see Trump as the ultimate symbol of the status quo that I want abolished. He is the problem, not the solution.
Why is Trump the problem? Because he's a billionaire? That's a positive, not a negative. He isn't beholden to special interests the way politicians are. He's able to go against the grain and no one has been able to stop him.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
How is Trump "the problem"? Yes, in the past, he has admitted to donating to politicians on both sides of the aisle. He was honest about working the system so he is in a good position to expose the whole rotten corrupt system. That's why he is refusing to take money from any of those mega-rich donors. He knows that if he took their money, he would be beholden to them.

If not Trump, then who else could have exposed the whole rotten corrupt system and gained the kind of traction he has gotten? John Doe, ordinary man on the street, could be saying the same things and never would have gotten traction.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Why is Trump the problem? Because he's a billionaire? That's a positive, not a negative. He isn't beholden to special interests the way politicians are. He's able to go against the grain and no one has been able to stop him.
Quote:
How is Trump "the problem"? Yes, in the past, he has admitted to donating to politicians on both sides of the aisle. He was honest about working the system so he is in a good position to expose the whole rotten corrupt system. That's why he is refusing to take money from any of those mega-rich donors. He knows that if he took their money, he would be beholden to them.

If not Trump, then who else could have exposed the whole rotten corrupt system and gained the kind of traction he has gotten? John Doe, ordinary man on the street, could be saying the same things and never would have gotten traction.
Thank you for these questions. I am sincerely happy to discuss why I believe Trump is the perfect symbol of the status quo that I wish to abolish, and why he is part of the problem and definitely not the solution.

He lies and panders like a typical politician. He is at his core, a propagandist. He relies on voter stupidity, that they will fall for his crap and not look into things themselves. He views voters as a herd he can easily manipulate and unfortunately the voters have been proving him right. There is nothing more status quo than a politician flip flopping, talking out both sides of his mouth, and taking advantage of voters.

I have no idea how much money Donald Trump has, and neither does anyone else. Everyone who has ever actually gotten their hands on his tax records in the past (his biographers) have said he is worth nothing, in fact he is deeply in debt. Trump on the other hand says he is worth $10 billion (and he says most of that net worth is based on his personal opinion of the value of his name.) But how much money Trump does or does not have is not an issue for me. What is an issue is people buying political power, and Trump brags that he has done this routinely. Also, the very next day after becoming the presumptive nominee, Trump announced he is going to take money from 'big donors' and he hired a Goldman Sachs executive to raise money for him. Trump people will make excuses for why this is ok. Everyone else who does it is 'beholden' but not Trump. It's absurd.

My biggest issue is that he is culturally status quo. He has a very status quo view of women. And men for that matter. He has a very status quo view of societal classes. (notice how fancy muslims will be allowed in the country despite his "muslim ban" but regular folks who are muslim will not be allowed.) He has a very status quo way of separating people by race and ethnicity. "I love the blacks" "I love the hispanics". He is obsessed with the tools of the status quo - media, polls, etc.

Trump has proven that if given 24/7 media attention, any candidate can have the opportunity for success. I believe that if Dr Ron Paul had received even a fraction of the coverage Trump has gotten, he would have won. I am all for someone coming in and shaking up the status quo. I just can't imagine a worse pick than Trump for that job.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:23 PM

Voter stupidity? You mean like the voters who voted for Obama based on "hope and change"?

Trump is giving voice to all that is wrong with this country while other politicians worry about not being PC or upsetting their mega-rich donors. It's long past time that someone gave voice to the issues that Trump brings up.

Trump has a huge ego. He is not going to promise to do something unless he can accomplish it or at least try very hard to do so.

Who are you supporting? And is s/he perfect? Does s/he never flip-flop? Has s/he been courageous enough to talk about our wide open borders? Has s/he been courageous enough to say enough! when it comes to illegal immigration?

I'm a woman of Hispanic descent who is college educated and has been around long enough to know that the status quo is not working. I'm willing to give Trump 4 years to see what he can accomplish. If he turns out to be as bad as GW Bush and Obama (which will be very hard to do, unless we get Hillary), then I won't vote to give him a second term.

I'm not a stupid voter by any means. I voted for him on Super Tuesday and will vote for him come November, and I'm not alone. People from all walks of life have been supporting him and for good reason.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Voter stupidity? You mean like the voters who voted for Obama based on "hope and change"?
Trump has a huge ego. He is not going to promise to do something unless he can accomplish it or at least try very hard to do so.
To be frank, yes that is exactly what I mean. Trump and Obama have identical campaigns: Hope and Change / Make America Great Again, "insurgent" candidates who play up their rock star personas to rally huge crowds, grand promises without specific details of how they'll get things done.

I want to alert you to something very important about Trump. You are absolutely correct, he is an egomaniac. (And that's an understatement.) You basically make the case that Trump's ego is too big to fail, that Trump won't let you down because his ego couldn't take such embarrassment. Here is what will really happen. President Trump will do whatever the hell he wants, and no matter the outcome he will tell you everything is Great because he made it Great. Right now he is on his "trash America" tour. "We don't win anymore, we have no military, we suck at trade, we suck at life, blah blah blah." When he takes over, he will launch the propaganda: "Everything is Great Again! The economy is Great! The military is Great! Everyone is happy! And it is all because of me!" His ego is not based on you getting what you want, his ego is based on him getting what he wants. The rest is just propaganda. And if anyone dares to challenge the propaganda (uh... actually Mr. Trump, things have gotten a lot worse since you took office..) he will use his strongman tactics to silence dissenters.

Thank of it this way, you are saying that Trump's ego is too big to fail, that his huge ego will make him keep his promises to you. Trump's companies have failed and gone bankrupt multiple times, which by definition means he did not follow through on his promises. His ego was not big enough to prevent him from failing, nor was it big enough to prevent him from making promises he couldn't keep. But to this day, he will insist that his business record is flawless and he will argue that bankrupting businesses is the Greatest, smartest, best thing you can do. He says bankrupting his businesses proves he is the Greatest, best businessman that ever lived!

Old 05-07-2016, 10:28 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
To be frank, yes that is exactly what I mean. Trump and Obama have identical campaigns: Hope and Change / Make America Great Again, "insurgent" candidates who play up their rock star personas to rally huge crowds, grand promises without specific details of how they'll get things done.

I want to alert you to something very important about Trump. You are absolutely correct, he is an egomaniac. (And that's an understatement.) You basically make the case that Trump's ego is too big to fail, that Trump won't let you down because his ego couldn't take such embarrassment. Here is what will really happen. President Trump will do whatever the hell he wants, and no matter the outcome he will tell you everything is Great because he made it Great. Right now he is on his "trash America" tour. "We don't win anymore, we have no military, we suck at trade, we suck at life, blah blah blah." As soon as he takes over, he will launch the propaganda: "Everything is Great Again! The economy is Great! The military is Great! Everyone is happy! And it is all because of me!" His ego is not based on you getting what you want, his ego is based on him getting what he wants. The rest is just propaganda.

Thank of it this way, you are saying that Trump's ego is too big to fail, that his huge ego will make him keep his promises to you. Trump's companies have failed and gone bankrupt multiple times, which by definition means he did not follow through on his promises. His ego was not big enough to prevent him from failing, nor was it big enough to prevent him from making promises he couldn't keep. But to this day, he will insist that his business record is flawless and he will argue that bankrupting businesses is the Greatest, smartest, best thing you can do. He says bankrupting his businesses proves he is the Greatest, best businessman that ever lived!

I honestly don't think many people that argue against Trump's business ventures on the whole made in China thing or the failures understand much about business. He still has successful businesses that are well run and profitable, and on average most entrepreneurial ventures fail, statistically speaking he is either average or slightly above average.

Forbes Welcome

Quote:
According to Bloomberg, 8 out of 10 entrepreneurs who start businesses fail within the first 18 months. A whopping 80% crash and burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections