Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 10:32 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
......statistically speaking he is either average or slightly above average.
I would not take issue with people calling Trump an average businessman. That's probably pretty accurate.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:39 PM

3,838 posts, read 1,787,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
To be frank, yes that is exactly what I mean. Trump and Obama have identical campaigns: Hope and Change / Make America Great Again, "insurgent" candidates who play up their rock star personas to rally huge crowds, grand promises without specific details of how they'll get things done.

I want to alert you to something very important about Trump. You are absolutely correct, he is an egomaniac. (And that's an understatement.) You basically make the case that Trump's ego is too big to fail, that Trump won't let you down because his ego couldn't take such embarrassment. Here is what will really happen. President Trump will do whatever the hell he wants, and no matter the outcome he will tell you everything is Great because he made it Great. Right now he is on his "trash America" tour. "We don't win anymore, we have no military, we suck at trade, we suck at life, blah blah blah." When he takes over, he will launch the propaganda: "Everything is Great Again! The economy is Great! The military is Great! Everyone is happy! And it is all because of me!" His ego is not based on you getting what you want, his ego is based on him getting what he wants. The rest is just propaganda. And if anyone dares to challenge the propaganda (uh... actually Mr. Trump, things have gotten a lot worse since you took office..) he will use his strongman tactics to silence dissenters.

Thank of it this way, you are saying that Trump's ego is too big to fail, that his huge ego will make him keep his promises to you. Trump's companies have failed and gone bankrupt multiple times, which by definition means he did not follow through on his promises. His ego was not big enough to prevent him from failing, nor was it big enough to prevent him from making promises he couldn't keep. But to this day, he will insist that his business record is flawless and he will argue that bankrupting businesses is the Greatest, smartest, best thing you can do. He says bankrupting his businesses proves he is the Greatest, best businessman that ever lived!
well said.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:40 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
I would not take issue with people calling Trump an average businessman. That's probably pretty accurate.
Well then you should probably go back and edit what I quoted, because using his business failures as an excuse holds no water. Average or slightly above, but you are using it as a way to point out how bad he is.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:48 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
To be frank, yes that is exactly what I mean. Trump and Obama have identical campaigns: Hope and Change / Make America Great Again, "insurgent" candidates who play up their rock star personas to rally huge crowds, grand promises without specific details of how they'll get things done.

I want to alert you to something very important about Trump. You are absolutely correct, he is an egomaniac. (And that's an understatement.) You basically make the case that Trump's ego is too big to fail, that Trump won't let you down because his ego couldn't take such embarrassment. Here is what will really happen. President Trump will do whatever the hell he wants, and no matter the outcome he will tell you everything is Great because he made it Great. Right now he is on his "trash America" tour. "We don't win anymore, we have no military, we suck at trade, we suck at life, blah blah blah." When he takes over, he will launch the propaganda: "Everything is Great Again! The economy is Great! The military is Great! Everyone is happy! And it is all because of me!" His ego is not based on you getting what you want, his ego is based on him getting what he wants. The rest is just propaganda. And if anyone dares to challenge the propaganda (uh... actually Mr. Trump, things have gotten a lot worse since you took office..) he will use his strongman tactics to silence dissenters.

Thank of it this way, you are saying that Trump's ego is too big to fail, that his huge ego will make him keep his promises to you. Trump's companies have failed and gone bankrupt multiple times, which by definition means he did not follow through on his promises. His ego was not big enough to prevent him from failing, nor was it big enough to prevent him from making promises he couldn't keep. But to this day, he will insist that his business record is flawless and he will argue that bankrupting businesses is the Greatest, smartest, best thing you can do. He says bankrupting his businesses proves he is the Greatest, best businessman that ever lived!
Do you have a crystal ball?

You have no idea as to how a Trump presidency will turn out---neither do I. However, I am more than willing to give him a chance. We can't go on with the status quo anymore. Too much is at stake and I want better for my descendants.

Nothing you said will make me or millions of other people change our minds.

As for the bankruptcies---this has been hashed over and over again and explained over and over again. You are beating a dead horse with this. Many companies have gone into bankruptcy over the years and emerged stronger for it.

We haven't had a perfect candidate...ever. I noticed how you failed to say whom you are going to vote for and if you think that s/he is perfect. Whomever it is you support, I could come up with lots of reasons to not vote for him/her. All politicians are narcissists. That's nothing new.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:57 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times
Quote:
Well then you should probably go back and edit what I quoted, because using his business failures as an excuse holds no water. Average or slightly above, but you are using it as a way to point out how bad he is.
No, I wasn't using the bankruptcies as a way to "point out how bad he is." I brought up his bankruptcies as a way to illustrate that Trump's ego is not 'too big to fail'. Another poster had suggested that Trump's ego is so big that there is no way he won't follow through on his promises. The bankruptcies show that in fact his ego did not prevent him from going back on promises and that furthermore when he does break promises he uses propaganda techniques to twist his failures into pronouncements of Greatness and success.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:00 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
No, I wasn't using the bankruptcies as a way to "point out how bad he is." I brought up his bankruptcies as a way to illustrate that Trump's ego is not 'too big to fail'. Another poster had suggested that Trump's ego is so big that there is no way he won't follow through on his promises. The bankruptcies show that in fact his ego did not prevent him from going back on promises and that furthermore when he does break promises he uses propaganda techniques to twist his failures into pronouncements of Greatness and success.
Bankruptcy is a legal protection that both borrowers and lenders are completely (or should be) aware of when they get into business ventures. They are legally presided over with legal consequences if not properly done, so its still a faulty argument.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:43 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Honestly if he wins nothing much will change. He'll probably make better deals for the country internationally and factory workers here will have a lot more jobs, but day to day life for most people will just go on as usual
I think it is a fantasy to think that Trump, who has no experience in international relations, will get better "deals" than career diplomats.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:55 AM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I think it is a fantasy to think that Trump, who has no experience in international relations, will get better "deals" than career diplomats.
I can hardly beieve those words came from you!

Old 05-08-2016, 05:06 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Do you have a crystal ball?

You have no idea as to how a Trump presidency will turn out---neither do I. However, I am more than willing to give him a chance. We can't go on with the status quo anymore. Too much is at stake and I want better for my descendants.

Actually, there is literally decades of evidence regarding how Trump run things. And k9coach nailed it. Trump has consistently made big promises and failed to live up to it... but it's never his fault.

You can take a chance on Trump, it's a free country. But it's nitwit to say he won't fail when he had consistently done so. In fact, outside of real estate and TV, he hasn't shown he can run anything.

Quote:
Nothing you said will make me or millions of other people change our minds.
If you insist on voting for a buffoon, that's your right.

Quote:
As for the bankruptcies---this has been hashed over and over again and explained over and over again. You are beating a dead horse with this. Many companies have gone into bankruptcy over the years and emerged stronger for it.
The point isn't that many companies filed for bankruptcy, the point is that Trump had a history of failure (and also success). Successful business don't file for bankruptcies. You can't say he is a guy who has always achieved what he promised when he had shown multiple times he failed to live up to his promises.

Quote:
We haven't had a perfect candidate...ever. I noticed how you failed to say whom you are going to vote for and if you think that s/he is perfect. Whomever it is you support, I could come up with lots of reasons to not vote for him/her. All politicians are narcissists. That's nothing new.
No, many past presidents are egotists but narcissists are in a whole different league. You don't really want a narcissists running your country.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:08 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Bankruptcy is a legal protection that both borrowers and lenders are completely (or should be) aware of when they get into business ventures. They are legally presided over with legal consequences if not properly done, so its still a faulty argument.
That's irrelevant.

The point is that Trump promised success and failed to deliver. Whether or not bankruptcies are legal is not the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections