Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:14 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,812 times

Advertisements

I am really tired of all the juvenile and just plain ridiculous comments people are stooping to on this forum. It's one thing to intelligently debate the pros and cons of candidates but it's another thing entirely to insinuate that anyone who supports a particular candidate is "dumb". How old are we anyway? I am personally to old to engage in that type of behavior. I like coming out to the forum and reading the posts. It has been most enlightening to read the different viewpoints. But in the last week or so, it's deteriorating to nothing more than Obama supporters bashing Hillary supporters.

And on that note, I'm worried b/c while our country is in need of change and strong leadership, we are headed down the path to who knows what. If Obama gets the nomination (which I pray to all that is holy that he DOESN'T), we have no idea who he really is or what he will do. He's not even served one full term as a senator and all that I've read about doesn't show he's done very much during the time he has been there. The American people are blinded by history (a horrible trait we seem to have) and have determined that b/c her husband has been President, Hillary has had her chance. What??? Obama gives a few good preacher speeches and says all the right words and he gains a 'cult-like' following. From everything I've researched, he's not that far off from Hillary on the issues but I really wonder about his lack of experience. I don't think we are going to get change. We are going to get more of the same. The Democrats are split. It doesn't seem to matter which side your on, if your candidate doesn't get the nomination, then you'll vote Republican. Doesn't bode well for change in our country at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 12:22 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
You think that there's anyone in the running today who could possibly be worse than what we've had the last several elections?

Old 02-14-2008, 12:30 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
You think that there's anyone in the running today who could possibly be worse than what we've had the last several elections?

McCain b/c he'll be a puppet if he gets elected and Obama b/c he has no experience and will be a puppet too. I just really think Hillary is the only one running with the balls to stand her ground on issues. The other two will flop in the wind.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:43 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
austinsmom -

In all fairness, the bashing has been going on from BOTH sides.

Ken

Old 02-14-2008, 12:52 PM

438 posts, read 1,509,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I am really tired of all the juvenile and just plain ridiculous comments people are stooping to on this forum. It's one thing to intelligently debate the pros and cons of candidates but it's another thing entirely to insinuate that anyone who supports a particular candidate is "dumb". How old are we anyway? I am personally to old to engage in that type of behavior. I like coming out to the forum and reading the posts. It has been most enlightening to read the different viewpoints. But in the last week or so, it's deteriorating to nothing more than Obama supporters bashing Hillary supporters.

And on that note, I'm worried b/c while our country is in need of change and strong leadership, we are headed down the path to who knows what. If Obama gets the nomination (which I pray to all that is holy that he DOESN'T), we have no idea who he really is or what he will do. He's not even served one full term as a senator and all that I've read about doesn't show he's done very much during the time he has been there. The American people are blinded by history (a horrible trait we seem to have) and have determined that b/c her husband has been President, Hillary has had her chance. What??? Obama gives a few good preacher speeches and says all the right words and he gains a 'cult-like' following. From everything I've researched, he's not that far off from Hillary on the issues but I really wonder about his lack of experience. I don't think we are going to get change. We are going to get more of the same. The Democrats are split. It doesn't seem to matter which side your on, if your candidate doesn't get the nomination, then you'll vote Republican. Doesn't bode well for change in our country at all.
I totally agree with your first paragraph. Debate the merits of your candidate vs. the "horrors" of another, but leave personal attacks out.

I do disagree with your second paragraph. Yes, people are attacking Hillary supporters, but they aren't just Obama supporters. Also, I think you've ignored the accusations by your fellow Hillary supporters that Obama is a Muslim terrorist, the outlandish accusation that he is a commie and supporter of Che Guevara, and the assumption that his wife should just keep her mouth shut. So, while you are entitled to support whomever you wish, you should be able to see that Hillary supporters are just as guilty as Obama supporters.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:59 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,947 times
First I am not a huge fan of Obama. Second the comment about not having completed his first term as a senator so that somehow should disqualify him from the presidency is ridiculous. There have been many instances where people have run for the high office without having a shred of political experience (Eisenhower comes to mind, a great president). I am not comparing Obama to Ike so don;'t get me wrong, it's just an observation to keep in mind when they raise the experience factor. Hillbilly's political resume is hardly something to shout about. In fact it's nothing.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:37 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
McCain b/c he'll be a puppet if he gets elected and Obama b/c he has no experience and will be a puppet too. I just really think Hillary is the only one running with the balls to stand her ground on issues. The other two will flop in the wind.
So you prefer a woman [Mod Cut] because she will stand her ground instead of flopping.

I just hope you realize how absurd that sounds.

Last edited by ontheroad; 02-15-2008 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate comment.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:06 AM

607 posts, read 923,011 times
I think it's silly to assume Obama supporters will vote Republican if Hillary gets the nomination. They are nearly identical on the issues and their complete political ideology, while McCain is a jumbled mess of liberal sympathies and 72 year old conservative values.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:03 AM
BVH

944 posts, read 605,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
So you prefer a woman [Mod Cut] because she will stand her ground instead of flopping.

I just hope you realize how absurd that sounds.
I think you just proved her point. If you go through all the threads, I think you will see that the direct personal attacks against the Hillary supporters FAR outweigh those against Obama supporters.

Also, take a look at the Reps of Hillary supporters vs. those of the Obama supporters. Obama supporters hand out negative reps like candy. I am averaging 4-5 a week that the moderators REMOVE from my rep because they were unduly given.

Last edited by ontheroad; 02-15-2008 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate comment deleted.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:13 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Because we have a history with Hillery, I don't trust her. I think she is an abuser and a user. I think she is stayed married not out of love or forgiveness, but because of what Bill may do for her in the future. Funny how she was happy as the little house wife, and then made a mad move to New York and became senator. Then she waited a bit and made her move to be President. She is scheming and making lies all the way to the top. No She can not be trusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections