Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 08:01 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times

Advertisements

I don't see this as a flip-flop. What Trump is saying is that his plan will end up getting watered down through compromise in the legislature. While compromise is something that goes completely against what Republicans have stood for for the past 8 years, it is simply reality and a good sign that maybe Pubs will come back to the table and be willing to work cooperatively again. This "my way or no way attitude" that they have had is much of the reason that Trump is finding purchase with his campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 08:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Not hardly. Hillary has already proposed tax hikes on the wealthy.

The Donald is just pandering and flip flopping. His tax plan says the exact opposite.

Which Donald is going to show up at the white house?

Absolutely.

I think they figured they had backed the wrong horse with the total obstructionism. They realized it before the party did.

Absolutely. He is going to flip flop on everything. He's already started.
Neither Hillary or Trump can change the tax structure unless / until a majority of Congress goes along with it.

Number one job of any national politician is fund raising for themselves and their party. Trump intends to do so and has hired a Campaign Finance Chief to manage the global fund raising effort.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:12 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't see this as a flip-flop. What Trump is saying is that his plan will end up getting watered down through compromise in the legislature. While compromise is something that goes completely against what Republicans have stood for for the past 8 years, it is simply reality and a good sign that maybe Pubs will come back to the table and be willing to work cooperatively again. This "my way or no way attitude" that they have had is much of the reason that Trump is finding purchase with his campaign.
That's the way I read it, watered down, but apparently with Middle Class protection.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:21 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,112,566 times
No doubt, a true conservative like Reagan. How many times did he raise taxes? Like 16?

Mick

Old 05-09-2016, 08:42 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,943,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Donald Trump Says Wealthy May See Tax Increase - WSJ

Quote:
“I’ll tell you what the real concept is,” the presumptive Republican presidential nominee said in an ABC interview that aired Sunday. “Lower taxes for business, lower taxes for the middle class, lower taxes for everybody and then we’re going to start negotiating.” On tax rates for the wealthy, Mr. Trump said, “In my plan they’re going down, but by the time it’s negotiated, they’ll go up,” due to pressure from Democratic congress members.

Asked about the impact on high-income individuals such as himself, he said: “I have a feeling we may pay some more…. We’ve got to do something. I mean I wouldn’t mind paying more.”

Our GOP Candidate is more liberal than the DNC Candidate, what a strange election cycle.
Trump is a flim-flam man and the above quote is a stellar example. If one wants to raise taxes on the rich, you float a proposal that raises taxes on the rich. You don't issue a proposal that lowers the average millionaire's tax bill by $1.3 million and say that others will negotiate it away -- and then call it a plan to raise taxes on the rich.

I am sure Trump doesn't sell a building like that. 'I want $100 million, so I'll start by offering to sell it for $80 million.'

We can see how Trump is talking out of both sides of his mouth with double-double talk.

Just to say, his plan also adds $10 trillion to the debt.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:46 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,943,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Neither Hillary or Trump can change the tax structure unless / until a majority of Congress goes along with it.

Number one job of any national politician is fund raising for themselves and their party. Trump intends to do so and has hired a Campaign Finance Chief to manage the global fund raising effort.
While true, that's not the point. He issued a plan that lowers taxes on the rich while saying he wants to raise taxes on the rich.

Voters wouldn't accept that from anyone else. Why does Trump get a pass for a deceptive proposal?

This is no different from Bush and the "Clear Skies" bill, that makes the air dirtier.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:29 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Why does Trump get a pass when he claims he will force companies who offshore manufacturing to bring it back to the U.S. when he himself does that?

Why does Trump get a pass when he claims that he is an outsider when it comes to crony capitalism when he himself is one of the "cronies" who has been buying favors from politicians for years?
Trump doesn't want a pass - he admits that he outsources some of the family business and would be subject to either paying the tariffs or moving the manufacturing back to the States.

As for your 2nd point, please provide evidence that Trump has received any political favors from DC.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
LOL. Yeah, I know, Trump has given hundreds of thousands of dollars to politicians over the years because he's such a generous man. The sad part is that I have no doubt the personality cult who worships the great orange one believes that.
What is a $50K campaign contribution to a guy worth 4 billion ? About the same as the average Joe's $20 ...

How much have the pharmaceutical companies given the establishment in exchange for favors ? Trump's campaign $ would pale in comparison.

So now it's the great orange one ? Awesome, I'll go with Muumuu for the fat-bottomed one ...

Old 05-09-2016, 11:04 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,966,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
What is a $50K campaign contribution to a guy worth 4 billion ? About the same as the average Joe's $20 ...

How much have the pharmaceutical companies given the establishment in exchange for favors ? Trump's campaign $ would pale in comparison.

So now it's the great orange one ? Awesome, I'll go with Muumuu for the fat-bottomed one ...
Why don't you explain to us how Trump is gonna increase taxes on the wealthy like the title of this thread says?

Trump is nothing more than a snake oil salesman. He tells people he will do one thing but his written contract (his website) says he will decrease taxes for the wealthy which will add 10 trillion to our national debt.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/tax-reform

Old 05-09-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Why don't you explain to us how Trump is gonna increase taxes on the wealthy like the title of this thread says?

Trump is nothing more than a snake oil salesman. He tells people he will do one thing but his written contract (his website) says he will decrease taxes for the wealthy which will add 10 trillion to our national debt.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/tax-reform
Why don't you explain to us your comment about how Trump's tax plan will add $10 trillion to the national debt ?

$10 trillion when ? One year ? 50 years ?

In order for you to make a statement like that, you must have some numbers in mind. You know, money coming in and money going out.

Let's hear it ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections