Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:36 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Ok. I will explain this. Firstly, Trump is the nominee. Other candidates dropped out.
Without getting into that dead conversation, understand that the Presidential nominee
of the party is the choice of the majority of the people in the party who also choose
their Congressmen.
Paul Ryan barely got the Speakership, he was resisted by a large segment of
the Republican Party, ironically, "conservatives". Boehner made it happen,
and now Boehner is a big Trump supporter. Ryan will easily be removed as
Chairman of the Convention, that is nothing to do at all, a simple matter with
no voting required, then you gather up all the Congressmen who DO support
the candidacy of the GOP nominee, and begin measures to have a new vote
for Speaker. I admit it's unlikely he would be removed now, an election and lame
duck session, but if an issue arises in Congress that requires participation of
the GOP as a unit, then it could be expedited.
If Ryan refused to support Trump, and Trump wins, then he would be easily
replaced next year, by the successful Trump wing, assuming a Republican majority
carries over.
First, Ryan didn't want to be speaker, remember? Boehner helped talk him into doing it, not helped him convince others to let him do it. Second, who do you think is sitting in the House with those (R)s behind their names right now? Oh, right, the hated establishment. Third, the Chairman of the GOP Convention is automatically either the Speaker of the House or the Minority Leader of the House if there isn't a Republican Speaker. There is not some "Trump wing" running for the House right now, just some people willing to capitulate to him, but the numbers are not great.

The president is not the boss of congress, they are equal, separate branches.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:41 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
First, Ryan didn't want to be speaker, remember? Boehner helped talk him into doing it, not helped him convince others to let him do it. Second, who do you think is sitting in the House with those (R)s behind their names right now? Oh, right, the hated establishment. Third, the Chairman of the GOP Convention is automatically either the Speaker of the House or the Minority Leader of the House if there isn't a Republican Speaker. There is not some "Trump wing" running for the House right now, just some people willing to capitulate to him, but the numbers are not great.

I agree. He didn't want it. There is a reason why Boehner left. Lots of "Lucifer" type who did nothing but obstruct.
But I think Ryan and GOP should be like McCain. While I dont think McCain likes Trump but he should respect people's choice. Stop butting in. Trump may lose to Hilary, they can vote for Hilary in private. But let's not go on TV any more.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 05-09-2016 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 09:46 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:
I explained. No Speakership of the same party can stay speaker without support of the Presidency
when the Presidency is held by that party, because the party would not function, so
a new Speaker would be chosen.
To the other poster, if the Democrats get a majority, Ryan is gone, and if Ryan doesn't
support Trump, he is gone, so Ryan has no options other than to support Trump.

I actually think Ryan could be gunning for the VP slot here, trying to force Trump's
hand for a quick fix with a Trump/Ryan ticket.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:47 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Quote:

I expect Paul Ryan to be ousted anyway, once Trump assumes the Presidency.
For once I agree with you.

There will be no Trump president/ Ryan speaker of the House combination

You are right Ryan will be ousted. If Trump becomes president the republicans will lose the majority and we will have a democrat as the speaker of the house.

Ryan doesn't need to endorse Trump. Endorsing Trump is political suicide because he won't win in November. People like Trump, John McCain are old enough to retire. Younger politicians like Ryan and Rubio need to think twice before they endorse a candidate only known for his sexism, bigotry and lack of coherence.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
For once I agree with you.

There will be no Trump president/ Ryan speaker of the House combination

You are right Ryan will be ousted. If Trump becomes president the republicans will lose the majority and we will have a democrat as the speaker of the house.
If Trump wins the Presidency this year, Democrats will not gain a majority this year.
You aren't going to see two diametrically opposed results from the electorate, especially
considering that they need to unseat 30 Republicans. It's just not going to happen on
the same day Trump is elected President.
If the Democrats win the House in Mid-Term, then they can choose a speaker.
That's fine, because enough Democrats support Trump's agenda on trade and
foreign policy already. Trump would be an effective President even with a Democratic
majority. I'm ok with that, as long as Trump is Executive, the nation will be in good shape.
He will enforce current immigration law, protect the border, deport illegals, close
sanctuary cities, advance American jobs and promote a healthy foreign policy.
We would have a protected second amendment, and good Constitutional judges.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:58 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
If Trump wins the Presidency this year, Democrats will not gain a majority this year.
You aren't going to see two diametrically opposed results from the electorate, especially
considering that they need to unseat 30 Republicans. It's just not going to happen on
the same day Trump is elected President.
If the Democrats win the House in Mid-Term, then they can choose a speaker.
That's fine, because enough Democrats support Trump's agenda on trade and
foreign policy already. Trump would be an effective President even with a Democratic
majority. I'm ok with that, as long as Trump is Executive, the nation will be in good shape.
He will enforce current immigration law, protect the border, deport illegals, close
sanctuary cities, advance American jobs and promote a healthy foreign policy.
We would have a protected second amendment, and good Constitutional judges.
Out of curiosity, who do you think would be the Speaker instead? Remember he/she has to be voted in by the Republican members of the House.

Oh, and you might want to study Carter's presidency, along with a couple of earlier ones, before stating the Speaker must support the president's agenda if they are the same party.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:02 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, who do you think would be the Speaker instead? Remember he/she has to be voted in by the Republican members of the House.
Sounds like Nancy Pelosi would be good enough for him/her

Old 05-09-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I explained. No Speakership of the same party can stay speaker without support of the Presidency
when the Presidency is held by that party, because the party would not function, so
a new Speaker would be chosen.
To the other poster, if the Democrats get a majority, Ryan is gone, and if Ryan doesn't
support Trump, he is gone, so Ryan has no options other than to support Trump.

I actually think Ryan could be gunning for the VP slot here, trying to force Trump's
hand for a quick fix with a Trump/Ryan ticket.
I don't think so. VP is not a powerful position. Speaker of the house is better.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Sounds like Nancy Pelosi would be good enough for him/her
She maybe in a memory unit soon. She looks crazy enough to me. Same with Reid.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
There are many possibilities. Much would change if Trump is elected without Ryan's
endorsement, so it's not worth discussing, Ryan will endorse Trump or commit political
suicide. I still think he may be pressuring for a VP slot, either for himself or a surrogate
such as Rubio.

Quote:
Oh, and you might want to study Carter's presidency, along with a couple of earlier ones, before stating the Speaker must support the president's agenda if they are the same party.
I didn't say the Speaker must embrace all the Presiden't agenda, I said the Speaker
cannot fail to endorse the chosen leader of the party against Democratic opposition.
Tip O'Neill moved forward with enough of President Carter's agenda. To compare Tip
O'Neill to Paul Ryan is flat out ridiculous. O'Neill worked with Republicans and Democrats.
He was also a corrupt greasemonkey. Paul Ryan is nobody. Tip O'Neill never endorsed
Ted Kennedy. He only stayed neutral in the Democratic Primary between Carter and
Kennedy. Today's equivalent would be O'Neill publicly stating that he does not support
Carter against Reagan. That never happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections