Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:05 PM

549 posts, read 290,219 times

Advertisements

My thesis: there's a slim chance that hillary might be a great president, though a lot of the left continue to dismiss her as being in the pocket of the oligarchy.

Here's my reasoning:

1. She'll want to leave a positive legacy as the first female president. You don't do that by continuing with the policies already in place.

2. Bernie is pulling her to the left in some of her positions, like TPP, affordable college, etc. Maybe even single-payer (eg. "tweaking" obamacare)...

3. She's shown a willingness to evolve in her positions -- the gay marriage issue for example.

4. Unless she's totally out of touch, she has to know that further neglect of the middle class will result in political if not social turmoil. (All the political class has to know that by now.)

... So all in all, I'm thinking that with all her experience... plus a spouse who's been president... plus Bernie and the base tugging her to the left... plus a historic legacy to fulfill, she'd have to preeeetty wed to center-right politics to not at least throw us all a few bones.

I still think that california (and all the remaining primary states) should vote bernie, but I'm warming up to the hope that hillary might not be so bad.

With all the pressure and scrutiny she's gonna be under (and all the pressure that congress is gonna be under) there's a chance that clinton and the congress might work together to actually make some progress (at least domestically... With foreign policy, I think the agenda has already been set: proxy war with russia in syria and ukraine, maybe elsewhere).

What do you think? Am I too optimistic?

... Is she so out of touch that she would simply forge ahead with the corporatist oligarch "trickle down" agenda we've seen for the past few decades?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 09:43 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,201,242 times
Who knows what she would do? She has no ideas. She is a follower, not a leader. All she wants to do is be elected. She has no desire for the actual job. She will probably just hold a bunch of press conferences berating Republicans because that is all she does. Throw in some executive orders since nobody will work with her and that will be her presidency. She will spend a lot of time trying to say she had a great legacy, though. All talk, no action.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:49 PM

37,941 posts, read 17,744,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture View Post
My thesis: there's a slim chance that hillary might be a great president, though a lot of the left continue to dismiss her as being in the pocket of the oligarchy.

Here's my reasoning:

1. She'll want to leave a positive legacy as the first female president. You don't do that by continuing with the policies already in place.
Like the first black president did?

Quote:
2. Bernie is pulling her to the left in some of her positions, like TPP, affordable college, etc. Maybe even single-payer (eg. "tweaking" obamacare)...
Run one way do the opposite once in office.

Quote:
3. She's shown a willingness to evolve in her positions -- the gay marriage issue for example.
Flip flop. Still the same positions she's always had. You need governments permission to marry someone you love.

Quote:
4. Unless she's totally out of touch, she has to know that further neglect of the middle class will result in political if not social turmoil. (All the political class has to know that by now.)
So now she'll care?

Quote:
... So all in all, I'm thinking that with all her experience... plus a spouse who's been president... plus Bernie and the base tugging her to the left... plus a historic legacy to fulfill, she'd have to preeeetty wed to center-right politics to not at least throw us all a few bones.
keep reaching. The pig has been picked clean.

Quote:
I still think that california (and all the remaining primary states) should vote bernie, but I'm warming up to the hope that hillary might not be so bad.
Booze warms me up too and makes me think just like you did.

Quote:
With all the pressure and scrutiny she's gonna be under (and all the pressure that congress is gonna be under) there's a chance that clinton and the congress might work together to actually make some progress (at least domestically...
Riiight that's what tyrants do, they give up power. They change.

Quote:
With foreign policy, I think the agenda has already been set: proxy war with russia in syria and ukraine, maybe elsewhere).
Agreed War Mongering will continue.

Quote:
What do you think? Am I too optimistic?
Hope over reason

Quote:
... Is she so out of touch that she would simply forge ahead with the corporatist oligarch "trickle down" agenda we've seen for the past few decades?
A leopard doesn't change her spots.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:30 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,904,778 times
The only way that is possible is to organize mass movements across the country to shame and ridicule her at every turn if she doesnt do what is right for the people instead of her big money donors. She must know that if she does not push forward with a progressive agenda for the good of the people, it will decimate her support. We have to ignore the loyal Hillary base who will support her and defend her no matter what she does. They see themselves in Hillary and cant be brought to reason.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:36 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,901,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The only way that is possible is to organize mass movements across the country to shame and ridicule her at every turn if she doesnt do what is right for the people instead of her big money donors. She must know that if she does not push forward with a progressive agenda for the good of the people, it will decimate her support. We have to ignore the loyal Hillary base who will support her and defend her no matter what she does. They see themselves in Hillary and cant be brought to reason.
Other fanbases are also irrational, thus it's fine!

Old 05-11-2016, 12:37 AM

24,330 posts, read 26,743,412 times
She has proved she will say or do anything to get in power and stay in power and that means being the puppeteer's puppet pre and post election.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:13 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,537,572 times
The idea is that she won't govern at all. Time to turn the insiders out. Dynasty - Status Quo has to go.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:19 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Who knows what she would do? She has no ideas. She is a follower, not a leader. All she wants to do is be elected. She has no desire for the actual job. She will probably just hold a bunch of press conferences berating Republicans because that is all she does. Throw in some executive orders since nobody will work with her and that will be her presidency. She will spend a lot of time trying to say she had a great legacy, though. All talk, no action.
Be honest--you took a post written about Trump and changed "he" for "she", didn't you? Be honest.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:20 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,119,822 times
She'll be great. Read up on her work on "Hillarycare" and you'll see what a lefty she is.

Last edited by UB50; 05-11-2016 at 01:36 AM..

Old 05-11-2016, 04:59 AM

953 posts, read 837,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

A leopard doesn't change her spots.
I agree with all of your brief comments. Regardless of who is elected in November, no inroads will be made in controlling the staggering debt, America's involvement in wars continues with no end in sight and gridlock and dissension will continue to rule the day.

On that happy note, I wish you all a wonderful Wednesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections