U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:37 PM

3,144 posts, read 3,068,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Just how small a government are libertarians talking about? Which departments get chopped and how many people lose their jobs as a result.. Imagine you are in charge,start chopping=
https://www.usa.gov/federal-agencies/a
I suppose it wouldn't be easy, but where does it end? It seems we've had an increase in government workers as well as people dependent on government workers. We're now used to it, and can't imagine what all those people would do if they weren't employed by the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 01:39 PM

3,144 posts, read 3,068,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Help me, obi-wan Kenobi!
You're my only hope!

Too bad he's not on the ballot!

Old 05-13-2016, 11:44 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,828,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Waste of a vote. We have a two party system whether you like it or not.

If less people had voted for Nader in 2000 in FL, we wouldn't have been stuck with Bush for 8 years.
That's because most Americans are used to political corruption and big government.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:21 AM

1,100 posts, read 476,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I suppose it wouldn't be easy, but where does it end? It seems we've had an increase in government workers as well as people dependent on government workers. We're now used to it, and can't imagine what all those people would do if they weren't employed by the government.

Just like everything else with the establishment - Americans are becoming ok with government overreach and the branches of government overstepping one another for political gain.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:17 AM

32,978 posts, read 19,952,237 times
Johnson has the pro-weed part of the Libertarian thing down. He is also a self-made successful man.
He is also an extraordinarily strong gun-rights advocate.

This said, he favors free trade, but he’s far too committed to relatively open borders — advocating a “simpler and more efficient” process for entering the country.

I supported him once, but this time, I don't think I want to waste my vote.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:12 AM

8,006 posts, read 4,177,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Okay, hubby and I are taking a serious look at the Libertarian party, so would love to hear from Gary Johnson supporters.

So. About his ideas of making it easier for people south of the border to immigrate here. As someone who has dealt with the INS 16 years ago we experienced first hand the horrific dysfunction of that particular bureaucracy.

IF the claim is true that there are Americans who resist working in certain industries such as dog food factories, sanitation etc. I suppose a guest worker program would be useful. Can anyone provide some clarification on this?

Another issue concerning low income, low education immigrants is the social programs. Isn't the Libertarian party against AFDC, WIC, etc?

This could be very interesting if this is so, because social programs would no longer be an incentive. Also, while I do believe in a safety net in dire circumstances, I do know there are too many Americans who also take advantage, and make it a way of life. The old "you don't work, you don't eat" incentive might apply here to get those Americans to take the "unwanted" jobs?

As far as drug dealers wanting to keep their day jobs, would decriminalization take them away to a certain extent?

Please forgive my "newbie" questions.

Thanks for any feedback!
Libertarianism is quite simple to understand: Simply everything. Have the government do less of absolutely everything. Spend less money wherever possible. Stop interfering with how people people live their lives as much as possible. Stop interfering with businesses, churches, marriages, families, schools -- pretty much everything. Stop playing world policeman, shutdown our overseas bases and bring the whole war machine home to the USA. Social programs are hard to unmake and our entire culture is built around the things, but we do want to see less of them. A good starting point is to cut down on fraud and push things down to local and state governments where blatant fraud can be caught and dealt with, rather than trying to run "one size fits all" program from the distant Ivory Tower of Washington DC. Electing Gary Johnson does not mean unmaking any current social program. It means making all of them leaner, smaller, cheaper, more efficient and less wasteful.

One of the biggest wastes of time, money and human lives today is the War on Drugs. Some people advocate for legalizing Marijuana. We advocate for legalizing everything. Sure, do whatever you can to mitigate damage done by illicit drug use, but stop filling up our prison system with non-violent drug offenders. I anticipate that gangs and cartels that are built around the illegal drug trade would have to branch out much like the bootlegging mafia did. I suppose you can't stop that. They won't just go away by legalizing drugs. Still, they owe their very existence to the laws against drugs. Their primary source of income will be taken away from them and much like the mafia they will gradually diminish over time.

My ancestors came to America in the 1700's and 1800's. They gained legal status within a week of stepping off of the boat. You just needed a job and to swear allegiance to the USA. Nowadays, we have a very poorly thought out quota system that created the illegal immigrant problem in the first place. Immigration needs to get back to being very simple. You get here, get a job and keep a job, then welcome to America. If you can't get a job, you either starve or go back to wherever you came from.

Back in the 1800's, the "less desirables" such at the blacks and Irish took the jobs nobody else wanted. The same is true today. We just need to get to a point where these folks are part of the system. That means paying taxes to fund schools for their kids and that sort of thing. They can't do that as illegal aliens.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:26 AM

8,006 posts, read 4,177,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Waste of a vote. We have a two party system whether you like it or not.

If less people had voted for Nader in 2000 in FL, we wouldn't have been stuck with Bush for 8 years.
And if people hadn't voted for Perot, then we wouldn't have been stuck with Bill Clinton. Yes, yes, we've all heard the "don't throw your vote away" propaganda. But the reality is that we do not have a two-party system. It is nowhere to be found in the Constitution of the United States. We have a long-standing tradition of a two-party system because no other opinions are allowed to participate.

The most recent Gallup Poll on Party Affiliation offers a great deal of insight:
  • An underwhelming 25% of Americans self-identify as Republicans.
  • A nearly equally underwhelming 31% of Americans self-identify as Democrats.
  • A staggering 44% self-identify as neither or other.

Many decades ago this wasn't true and Americans quite happily aligned themselves with one of the two. Now they don't. So who speaks for the remaining 44%? The Libertarian Party may not fit all of them but we do fit a lot more of them than people realize.

Voting for Donald Trump is immoral. Voting for Hillary Clinton is immoral. So what on earth is wrong with voting for Gary Johnson instead???

#NeverTrump
#NeverHillary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or