U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:42 AM

14,641 posts, read 10,545,711 times

Advertisements

If Trump manages to win I can take comfort in the fact the while Americans may have lost their collective minds, at least we will not have jumped off the biggest clift. That honor belongs to the Philippines. A couple of days ago they elected to president a kook that makes Trump look like a diplomat. At least Trump hasn't off handedly admitted to ordering people killed by death squads. The guy makes me feel a little warm and fuzzy towards Trump since no one currently has died as a result of his insulting tweets

Trump of the East set to become next president of Philippines - Chicago Tribune

Germany recently elected candidates that were proudly vocal nationalists who were strong anti-immigrant hardliners. Seriously, we are not the only ones where a large part of the electorate are scratching their head because candidates openly expressing veiws that are currently considered taboo in the culture are easily getting into office. So, why in this day and age of easy and widespread access of information that is proof a candidate has serious flaws would the electorate ignore or dismiss it and vote for them anyway? Is this presidential election just part of a widespread trend?

Old 05-12-2016, 11:54 AM

11,758 posts, read 5,521,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
A couple of days ago they elected to president a kook that makes Trump look like a diplomat. At least Trump hasn't off handedly admitted to ordering people killed by death squads.
He's just waiting for the inauguration . . . . I believe Chief Justice John Roberts will be the first victim after he swears in Mr. Trump. Payback for protecting Obamacare twice is going to be a pitch. Then he can fill two seats on the bench with his sister and Ivanka, in line with his family's tradition of nepotism.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 11:59 AM

4,597 posts, read 3,379,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
He's just waiting for the inauguration . . . . I believe Chief Justice John Roberts will be the first victim after he swears in Mr. Trump. Payback for protecting Obamacare twice is going to be a pitch. Then he can fill two seats on the bench with his sister and Ivanka, in line with his family's tradition of nepotism.

Mick
Why don't you tell us how many Trump employees are actually related to the family ? I'm sure you have those numbers at your fingertips ...

Last time, I checked coattail rider Hlll-Billy is married to a former POTUS. Or was ? Or was and is ? Do you think she got to where she is today on her own ?

Old 05-12-2016, 12:06 PM

12,697 posts, read 4,586,544 times
Quote:
If Trump manages to win I can take comfort in the fact the while Americans may have lost their collective minds, at least we will not have jumped off the biggest clift. That honor belongs to the Philippines. A couple of days ago they elected to president a kook that makes Trump look like a diplomat. At least Trump hasn't off handedly admitted to ordering people killed by death squads. The guy makes me feel a little warm and fuzzy towards Trump since no one currently has died as a result of his insulting tweets

Germany recently elected candidates that were proudly vocal nationalists who were strong anti-immigrant hardliners. Seriously, we are not the only ones where a large part of the electorate are scratching their head because candidates openly expressing veiws that are currently considered taboo in the culture are easily getting into office. So, why in this day and age of easy and widespread access of information that is proof a candidate has serious flaws would the electorate ignore or dismiss it and vote for them anyway? Is this presidential election just part of a widespread trend?
The reason is simple. More than 40 years of oligarchy and increasing inequality while the majority is ditched by the wayside as the rich get richer, and everyone else gets poorer. Result? Congress has 10% approval rating and the majority of the population believe the elections are rigged. They have lost trust in basic democratic institutions as these institutions have been hijacked by the economic royalists. Both the Democrats and the Republicans are to blame and their smugness and ignorance of the result of their disastrous economic policies over the past 40 years could be their downfall in November.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:22 PM

14,641 posts, read 10,545,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The reason is simple. More than 40 years of oligarchy and increasing inequality while the majority is ditched by the wayside as the rich get richer, and everyone else gets poorer. Result? Congress has 10% approval rating and the majority of the population believe the elections are rigged. They have lost trust in basic democratic institutions as these institutions have been hijacked by the economic royalists. Both the Democrats and the Republicans are to blame and their smugness and ignorance of the result of their disastrous economic policies over the past 40 years could be their downfall in November.
That explains us, but we aren't the only ones.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:29 PM

12,697 posts, read 4,586,544 times
Quote:
That explains us, but we aren't the only ones.
The OP mentions the Phillippines which has also seen massive income and wealth inequality. People feel financially insecure, they see astounding wealth around them and they want answers. Financially insecure people are naturally attracted towards religion or a strongman to find answers. And religious leaders know their power is tied to continued economic hardships and insecurity so they work in cahoots with the business elites. The agenda of the economic elites is to create as many financially insecure people as possible around the world because desperate people are the easiest to exploit for profits.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:35 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,852,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post

Mick
How can Roberts be the first victim? Trump can not remove/replace him. No president has that power.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:37 PM

26,158 posts, read 8,887,328 times
Quote:

I was in the Philippines in Davao City when Rodrigo Duterte, was the mayor of southern Davao city. I could go out late at night on the street and feel completely safe because of what he did to reduce crime and make it a safe place. We couldn't get away with what he did here in the USA but to read about what he did and to experience the results might lead some to a different conclusion.
I don't find it surprising that he was elected and received millions more votes. If he does what he did in Davao City with the same surgical skill the good people of the Philippines will be happy with him overall.

"GO TRUMP" or live in a 3rd world dump. Rodrigo Duterte will likely reduce the crime rate while ours is going up.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:38 PM

13,439 posts, read 8,461,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Well, not really.

The Democratic controlled congress enjoyed a 48% approval rating back in '09.
But they blew it.
Then they blamed it on the Republicans.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:44 PM

1,684 posts, read 401,679 times
This explains it well.

The title is:
Trump Is Manifestly Unqualified To Be President
Trump Is Manifestly Unqualified To Be President | RealClearPolitics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or