U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 04:30 PM

3,035 posts, read 2,467,343 times

Advertisements

It's not so much about changing my political views or anything, but it's about seeing what people are thinking. In my "real" world, so many people are fawning over Sanders, a few were backing Clinton, and the Republicans I knew were backing Rubio. An isolated few supported Cruz. Everybody hated Trump, and keeping him from doing well seemed to be the biggest priority of most people I know.

On CDP&OC, however, I was actually able to see what was going on within the Republican electorate. In between the typical message board bravado, there were discussions about what's important. Questions about how much social issues matter, economic policy, thoughts about foreign policy, and more, were discussed and debated within a conservative framework. You'd see posters you thought were united in Obama-bashing be split on their feelings about Trump and why.

So, with enough liberals and moderates to keep the CDP&OC board from being exclusively conservative, it was interesting and informative to read the different thought processes within the Republican Party that you couldn't really get anywhere else.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:51 PM

617 posts, read 271,258 times
Uh, this site is about as far left as you can get. But carry on.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:08 PM

18,175 posts, read 11,153,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobtHansen View Post
Uh, this site is about as far left as you can get. But carry on.
The OP is correct, right leaning, my theory being older people tend to be more conservative and older people tend to have more time to post on POC. There are some posters here that I can't tell when they actually sleep.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:12 PM

17,028 posts, read 9,564,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The OP is correct, right leaning, my theory being older people tend to be more conservative and older people tend to have more time to post on POC. There are some posters here that I can't tell when they actually sleep.

I'll be 60 in one month and work a lot of hours............but I don't sleep much.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:13 PM

617 posts, read 271,258 times
They do??

Old 05-13-2016, 05:17 PM

10,950 posts, read 5,075,199 times
I think the site is pretty evenly split.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:20 PM

10,811 posts, read 4,040,615 times
This board was left leaning in 2008 and 2012.

But the Hillary supporters are a quiet bunch. They appear to be rightfully ashamed of the candidate they plan to vote for and do not show much support for her here, or anywhere for that matter.

Meanwhile, Trump supporters clearly appear to be devoid of any sense of shame, as they demonstrate on a daily basis.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:26 PM

14,217 posts, read 6,122,940 times
This site was very left leaning when I started. It also used to focus a lot on actual problems instead of the endless race posts which really irritate me. It seems to have a little more about the primaries now, but still very little on interesting stories in the news (and still the endless race topics). I don't start many threads because they always die early. Apparently, the threads that draw the most interest are the race topics, which seems to bring out the worst in people. Sometimes I get sick of it and go to the entertainment forum instead.

As for right leaning, maybe more people are just starting to lean right. It seems to go one way or the other at the end of an 8-year presidency.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:57 PM

22,777 posts, read 16,854,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
This board was left leaning in 2008 and 2012.
Absolutely correct.

Quote:
But the Hillary supporters are a quiet bunch. They appear to be rightfully ashamed of the candidate they plan to vote for and do not show much support for her here, or anywhere for that matter.
Again, correct.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Trump supporters clearly appear to be devoid of any sense of shame, as they demonstrate on a daily basis.
Hahahahahaha! Nope, I have zero shame stating that I will absolutely be voting for Trump. Some people get "why", but there's still a lot of others who really aren't paying attention to what so many Trump supporters are saying. That's fine, it isn't about them anyway.

As for posting often...I work from home, I can post whenever I want while working. Also, many people post from work in their offices...if you've ever worked in an office, you would know that there's typically more free time than most will admit. "I'm so swamped" is a lie 90% of the time. They were on their FB playing Candy Crush, and left their work for last minute.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:01 PM

491 posts, read 243,553 times
On balance, this site is conservative leaning. (Even though I am conservative myself, I would prefer a perfect 50/50 split between liberals & conservatives, though I doubt that such a message board exists). But what I like about this site is that all viewpoints are tolerated. So many other message boards have a "groupthink" mentality, and are nothing more than left-wing or right-wing circle jerks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or