Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 11:04 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,538,917 times

Advertisements

I'm not convinced Bernie or Hillary will be the nominee.

I think the Authoritarian in Chief wants to hand pick the nominee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 11:07 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Sorry but superdelegates do count. I realize you are not a long term democrat and probably didn't follow prior primaries and conventions, but that's how it works. SDs can of course change their mind but there is no indication that they are going to, particularly not when Hillary will have well in excess of the majority of pledged delegates. The SDs have never overturned the will of the electorate as expressed via the pledged delegate count. "
If they award Hillary the win with Bernie less then 100 away on June 7th I will never vote for any Democrat again.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:08 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,603,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I'm not convinced Bernie or Hillary will be the nominee.

I think the Authoritarian in Chief wants to hand pick the nominee.
I think if Obama had his druthers, Joe Biden would be the nominee. But no one is going to go against the Clinton juggernaut.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:17 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,972,421 times
It you don't count Hillary's superdelegates than that's GREAT which means she only needs 2026 to clinch the threshold for pledged delegates, and there are 897 left so she will certainly reach that threshold

It's a far stretched spin to not count her superdelegates but say she needs to reach 2383 delegates which includes superdelegates.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:19 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,538,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I think if Obama had his druthers, Joe Biden would be the nominee. But no one is going to go against the Clinton juggernaut.
He's got her dangling on a slender thread with the indictment axe over her head.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:21 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
If they award Hillary the win with Bernie less then 100 away on June 7th I will never vote for any Democrat again.
While I think it will not be that close, even if Hillary has less than 100 more pledged delegates, that's still more than Bernie. That's called winning the nomination, not being awarded a win. Bernie is the only one suggesting that the convention award him a nomination he hasn't won by getting the most delegates.

If the fact that someone besides your preferred candidate wins by getting more votes and more delegates means you won't ever vote for that party again, you are going to run out of parties pretty soon.

btw, Obama had just over 100 delegates more than Hillary in 2008. Guess you know how that turned out....

Old 05-13-2016, 11:27 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times
Still feel the Party should go for a Contested Convention. They should at least look at what Sanders accomplishments have been this Primary season. Look at how many States Sanders won, his momentum, and his large pool of Independent voters. Then reach out to Sanders if they don't pick him, work with him, figure how they can unite the Party, and encourage his voters to vote for Hillary if she is the nominee.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:29 PM

4,204 posts, read 2,339,801 times
Quote:
There is contested conventions where Party delegates look at each candidate. They should look at how many States Sanders won, his momentum, and his large pool of Independent voters.
It's rigged against Sanders. The Washington elite doesn't care about real Americans.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:40 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Still feel the Party should go for a Contested Convention. They should at least look at what Sanders accomplishments have been this Primary season. Look at how many States Sanders won, his momentum, and his large pool of Independent voters. Then reach out to Sanders if they don't pick him, work with him, figure how they can unite the Party, and encourage his voters to vote for Hillary if she is the nominee.
ok, for the sake of argument, say Bernie pulls out an amazing victory and ends up with more pledged delegates. At that point, I assume you will be perfectly ok with Hillary going to the superdelegates and making her case that they should vote for her anyway, and that she should get to demand to control what the platform is, so that she'll encourage her voters to vote for him. Is that correct? Because that's what the person with fewer pledged delegates is entitled to do, right?

Old 05-13-2016, 11:41 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,972,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
While I think it will not be that close, even if Hillary has less than 100 more pledged delegates, that's still more than Bernie. That's called winning the nomination, not being awarded a win. Bernie is the only one suggesting that the convention award him a nomination he hasn't won by getting the most delegates.

If the fact that someone besides your preferred candidate wins by getting more votes and more delegates means you won't ever vote for that party again, you are going to run out of parties pretty soon.

btw, Obama had just over 100 delegates more than Hillary in 2008. Guess you know how that turned out....
avoid saying "even if Hillary has less than 100 more pledged delegates" because that gives them more hope and come up with more spins. Hillary will unlikely collapse to this delegate lead, her campaign is focusing on California New Jersey and Kentucky which I think she will likely win
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections