U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 06:29 PM

26,304 posts, read 12,848,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Can you provide a source where Trump said he paid no taxes at all?
Last time Trump's taxes were public they showed he paid none - Chicago Tribune
Which references that the last time he showed his taxes he paid zero. Theres also a discussion that during the real estate down turn he paid no taxes for a couple years as he could write off losses, but to be honest I dont recall where I read it.

I'm no trump fan, but its very very clear to me what he has been saying-that paying 0 in taxes while being incredibly wealthy is despicable. Not that the person does it mind you-people act in their self interests, but rather that our system is so broken that it allows it.

Quote:
By that logic, there is much more of a reason for Hillary to release her Wall St. transcripts.

There is nothing relevant to the public to see in someone's tax returns. There is nothing in tax returns that would make someone qualified, or disqualified to be president, short of being convicted of tax evasion.
You are incorrect, we can discover a LOT about a candidate from their tax returns. Trying to say otherwise is simply denying reality. Theres a TON in tax returns that can disqualify someone.

And yes, theres a lot of reasons why asking Hillary to release her Wall St transcripts as well.

Whats wrong with people that they think we should know so little about someone wanting so much power over us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 06:36 PM

26,304 posts, read 12,848,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The tax returns aren't finalized or accurate until the IRS audit is completed. There's no point releasing tax returns until the IRS accepts them as accurate.

Not sure why liberals don't understand that.
What nonsense. Your current returns (even if under audit) represent your belief of what they actually are. Im not sure how you don't understand that

As usual your screen handle is ironic. You want us uninformed, and providing consent for someone to be our president.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:39 PM

18,157 posts, read 11,132,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
What nonsense. Your current returns (even if under audit) represent your belief of what they actually are. Im not sure how you don't understand that

As usual your screen handle is ironic. You want us uninformed, and providing consent for someone to be our president.
They understand it perfectly. It's just an excuse he and they will use as long as possible.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:41 PM

10,950 posts, read 5,068,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Last time Trump's taxes were public they showed he paid none - Chicago Tribune

I'm no trump fan, but its very very clear to me what he has been saying-that paying 0 in taxes while being incredibly wealthy is despicable. Not that the person does it mind you-people act in their self interests, but rather that our system is so broken that it allows it.

There are a couple of problems, this article is just like many others, makes a claim in the headline, then says something different in the article.

Also, none of these articles have even provided any proof to back up the claim that he didn't pay any income taxes. Trump's returns have never been posted to back the claims.

From the article.

He had paid the federal government $0 in income taxes.

I've seen many of your posts, I know you are more than smart enough to know there is a big difference between not paying income taxes, and paying no taxes at all.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
There are a couple of problems, this article is just like many others, makes a claim in the headline, then says something different in the article.

Also, none of these articles have even provided any proof to back up the claim that he didn't pay any income taxes. Trump's returns have never been posted to back the claims.

From the article.

He had paid the federal government $0 in income taxes.

I've seen many of your posts, I know you are more than smart enough to know there is a big difference between not paying income taxes, and paying no taxes at all.
I'm sure Trump would be fine with Americans paying no income taxes at all, right? Trump can fund the country himself. We'll follow Trump's example. Retirees are going to be bummed with no Social Security or Medicare but Trump leads the way - no income taxes for the win!

Old 05-23-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm sure Trump would be fine with Americans paying no income taxes at all, right? Trump can fund the country himself. We'll follow Trump's example. Retirees are going to be bummed with no Social Security or Medicare but Trump leads the way - no income taxes for the win!
If they have no income, yes, I'm sure Trump would be fine with they paying no income tax.

Now to the rest of you post.

First of all, there is a claim that Trump showed negative income after write offs in the late 1970's (almost 40 years ago) so there was no income tax due.

Second, Social Security or Medicare are paid for by the Social Security/Medicare tax, not income tax.

Third, everyone does follow Trump example, and takes all the write offs, and deductions they legally can.

Your post completely failed to make any point.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
If they have no income, yes, I'm sure Trump would be fine with they paying no income tax.

Now to the rest of you post.

First of all, there is a claim that Trump showed negative income after write offs in the late 1970's (almost 40 years ago) so there was no income tax due.

Second, Social Security or Medicare are paid for by the Social Security/Medicare tax, not income tax.

Third, everyone does follow Trump example, and takes all the write offs, and deductions they legally can.

Your post completely failed to make any point.
False. Taxpayers are paying the difference because Medicare recipients are getting way too much in benefits compared to what they paid in. If Trump wants to be "fiscally responsible" he will cut back on those Medicare benefits massively so everyone can pay zero income tax, right? Except who will pay for the military? Let's create a military tax. If Trump isn't paying taxes with his massive wealth, we should all pay no taxes. Is he offshoring his money? Trump puts his money in companies that stash cash abroad - CBS News

- Few seniors have actually paid for their Medicare benefits. According to an Urban Institute estimate, the typical retired couple paid $122,000 in lifetime Medicare taxes but can expect to receive benefits worth $387,000. Social Security is another story. There, the average retired couple paid $600,000 in lifetime taxes for $579,000 in benefits. Put together, it's $722,000 in taxes for $966,000 in benefits. (All figures are adjusted for inflation.)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...cial-security/

If Trump isn't paying taxes with his massive wealth, we should all pay no taxes. Is he offshoring his money? Trump puts his money in companies that stash cash abroad - CBS News

I think the reason Trump doesn't want to release his tax returns is two-fold. He likely makes less than he wants to explain and likely pays little to no taxes. How is he going to tell others to pay when he doesn't? Pretty hard to "make military great again!" when everyone is paying the "Trump tax rate".

Old 05-23-2016, 08:11 PM

6,450 posts, read 3,457,518 times
His taxes are under audit. Unless the IRS is in his back pocket, they will look very closely at his return. Passive losses...At risk limitations - very complicated laws in the world of real estate. The IRS looks for tax fraud, and if he gets through the audit without that label, and maybe owing some back taxes and penalties and interest, he'll be no different than any other taxpayer.

As a CPA, I would never allow a client of mine to release tax information to anyone while under federal or state audit. That would be a completely moronic move.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
His taxes are under audit. Unless the IRS is in his back pocket, they will look very closely at his return. Passive losses...At risk limitations - very complicated laws in the world of real estate. The IRS looks for tax fraud, and if he gets through the audit without that label, and maybe owing some back taxes and penalties and interest, he'll be no different than any other taxpayer.

As a CPA, I would never allow a client of mine to release tax information to anyone while under federal or state audit. That would be a completely moronic move.
So, would you say the country should elect him without his releasing them?
And what if, after elected, the country found he paid little to no taxes?
What if he refused to release them even after this supposed audit? Would it matter to you?
If it is discovered that Trump has been offshoring massive amounts of money to avoid taxes, would it bother you if he then said, we need to go after others that are doing the same thing?
If Trump is paying little to no taxes, would you want the same tax advantage?
And if everyone is paying the "Trump tax rate" what would you do with the deficit?
Would you start reducing Medicare benefits and military to come in line with the reduced money coming in?

I'm sure these questions will all come out heavily in the debates.

Trump better figure out his answers besides "big beautiful tax rate" and "big beautiful Medicare" because this will come down to math and the country's willingness to listen to Trump's "Do as I say, but not as I do".

Old 05-23-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
False. Taxpayers are paying the difference because Medicare recipients are getting way too much in benefits compared to what they paid in. If Trump wants to be "fiscally responsible" he will cut back on those Medicare benefits massively so everyone can pay zero income tax, right? Except who will pay for the military? Let's create a military tax. If Trump isn't paying taxes with his massive wealth, we should all pay no taxes. Is he offshoring his money? Trump puts his money in companies that stash cash abroad - CBS News

- Few seniors have actually paid for their Medicare benefits. According to an Urban Institute estimate, the typical retired couple paid $122,000 in lifetime Medicare taxes but can expect to receive benefits worth $387,000. Social Security is another story. There, the average retired couple paid $600,000 in lifetime taxes for $579,000 in benefits. Put together, it's $722,000 in taxes for $966,000 in benefits. (All figures are adjusted for inflation.)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...cial-security/

If Trump isn't paying taxes with his massive wealth, we should all pay no taxes. Is he offshoring his money? Trump puts his money in companies that stash cash abroad - CBS News

I think the reason Trump doesn't want to release his tax returns is two-fold. He likely makes less than he wants to explain and likely pays little to no taxes. How is he going to tell others to pay when he doesn't? Pretty hard to "make military great again!" when everyone is paying the "Trump tax rate".

No matter how many times you say Trump isn't paying taxes, it doesn't make it true. You are just making stuff up, and going completely off topic.

Quote:
So, would you say the country should elect him without his releasing them?
And what if, after elected, the country found he paid little to no taxes?
What if he refused to release them even after this supposed audit? Would it matter to you?
If it is discovered that Trump has been offshoring massive amounts of money to avoid taxes, would it bother you if he then said, we need to go after others that are doing the same thing?
If Trump is paying little to no taxes, would you want the same tax advantage?
And if everyone is paying the "Trump tax rate" what would you do with the deficit?
Would you start reducing Medicare benefits and military to come in line with the reduced money coming in?

I'm sure these questions will all come out heavily in the debates.

Trump better figure out his answers besides "big beautiful tax rate" and "big beautiful Medicare" because this will come down to math and the country's willingness to listen to Trump's "Do as I say, but not as I do".
I would guess that Trump pays more in taxes in one year, that you have your entire life, so don't sit there and completely make up lies that he pays no taxes.

And yes, everybody can take advantage for the same tax codes that Trump does. In fact, millions of people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or