Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 11:29 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The whole caucus system, GOP and Democratic. is a clusterfudge and poor understood, and should be abandoned.
I'm not a fan of caucuses either. In 2008 I voted for and supported Obama in our TX Dem Primary, saw Clinton win the popular vote, then lose the caucus, which thanks to our notorious "2-step" process meant Obama was the declared winner.
The Clinton contingent properly protested then graciously accepted that outcome which after all was the result of clearly-stated rules. Ultimate outcome as a result of their efforts was the 2-step and caucus were eliminated.
Point is, at no point did anyone scream "rigged!". Rules were clearly stated and followed, rules were civilly protested, rules were reconsidered and changed. As much as I dislike caucuses, I respect the right of each state's party to determine what works best for them.
As a Texan, I have no right to tell Nevada Democrats how to conduct their business, and they have no right to tell me how to conduct mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 11:37 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,974,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm not a fan of caucuses either. In 2008 I voted for and supported Obama in our TX Dem Primary, saw Clinton win the popular vote, then lose the caucus, which thanks to our notorious "2-step" process meant Obama was the declared winner.
The Clinton contingent properly protested then graciously accepted that outcome which after all was the result of clearly-stated rules. Ultimate outcome as a result of their efforts was the 2-step and caucus were eliminated.
Point is, at no point did anyone scream "rigged!". Rules were clearly stated and followed, rules were civilly protested, rules were reconsidered and changed. As much as I dislike caucuses, I respect the right of each state's party to determine what works best for them.
As a Texan, I have no right to tell Nevada Democrats how to conduct their business, and they have no right to tell me how to conduct mine.
If it weren't for the caucuses I think Hillary would have won in 2008 as she was dominant in most big states. It will be Barack Obama vs Bernie Sanders this year which is even more interesting.

Well written, I just wish all caucuses, closed primaries, long primary calendar can be erased by the next election cycle. Just do a national primary day with all open primary style like the general election

Old 05-15-2016, 12:46 AM

617 posts, read 349,124 times
Democrats, whattya gonna do? Pathetic lot of people getting what they deserve.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:13 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
i.e.

There is nothing democratic about the Democrat party.

Hillary was going to be the nominee this time no matter if she got no votes in the primaries. She makes Ted Cruz look honest.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:50 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
That was my take too. I understand their frustration but in no way does does it support the absurd and inflammatory charge that the convention was "rigged".

How can you not call it rigged when the policies were not followed? No matter who the candidate or party are - there should be fairness. If the rules aren't followed so that a certain candidate gets the advantage - the system is dishonest and rigged.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:12 AM

Blah blah blah,
Hillary won the caucus which MOST PEOPLE voted.
when Bernie won the later county convention, Bernie fans were ok with it despite overturning the will of caucus voters.
when Hillary won the final state convention with delegates allocated proportionally to caucus results, Bernie fans now cry it's rigged.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
How can you not call it rigged when the policies were not followed? No matter who the candidate or party are - there should be fairness. If the rules aren't followed so that a certain candidate gets the advantage - the system is dishonest and rigged.
if you talk about rules then why do Bernie supporters have problems with super delegates which are part of the rules? Sounds hypocritical.

anyways Hillary essentially received delegates proportional to CAUCUS DAY results

Looks like Bernie supporters hate democracy, trying to overturn caucus day results by having people flood the convention, looks very indecent and immoral.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:17 AM

Why do Bernie supporters hate democracy so much? It was supposed to be a 20-15 split according to caucus results anyways
Bernie supporters need to stop trying to flip delegates that carry people's will by flooding IMPROPERLY registered people into the convention room
These nasty tricks brought forward by the Bernie campaign are really nasty, and when their plans fail,
they love to cherrypick and make up conspiracies to frame the DNC and Hillary

Old 05-15-2016, 05:36 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
On my phone so it's hard to find the link, but there's a reddit thing going around from a Sanders supporter who changed their registration from Democratic to Ind. and was not allowed to participate yesterday. They are complaining that no one told them they had to stay a registered Dem for the entire process.

I am not saying that is the case for all the people who were disqualified yesterday but it is interesting. In any case, as noted upthread, the final delegate allocation reflects what the spread was at the initial caucus. I can't really work up a lot of sympathy for people who are complaining that they were prevented from manipulating the system to get their candidate more delegates than he had earned.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:01 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
So, are the police in Philadelphia ordering their riot gear for July?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections