Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 08:17 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
On the contrary. I didn't even click on the link. Cain has nothing worthy of watching. Me posting that this isn't news is akin to a police officer waving people along saying, "move along, nothing to see here."
I'll remind you of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
translation: 'I can't address the facts, so I'll just put my cognitive dissonance in Drive and dismiss the facts in favor of my pre-conceived viewpoint. The problem isn't Trump having a deep personality flaw. The problem is Democrats showing that Trump has a deep personality flaw.'
Obviously you believe in such things when it's to your advantage to do so. It's clear you don't want to address the topic so you are left with these sorts of posts in bad attempt to discredit.

Clearly the Democrats have lost millions of voters. The tremendous downturn in primary turnout is testimate to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
That's what I hear too.

The choice we have is between Hellary the globalist and Trump the put Americans first guy.

You either want to be a globalist and descend into poverty as a world citizen or like being an American citizen and want to continue as the founders intended. An independent sovereign nation. That's why they called it the "United States of America" and not the "Just Another State of the World".

That's the real issue being put to the voters.

"GO TRUMP" Reject the globalist agenda to make America a 3rd world dump.

Yes indeed. The working people of the USA are rejecting the globalist agenda of Hillary Clinton and her obvious contempt for the average American worker.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:44 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
There's been little evidence that the registered Democrats supporting Trump have been supporting Democratic Presidential candidates. To the contrary, they appear to be voters who have been supporting Republicans for years. Here's a quote from an article from Larry Sabato of the University of Virginia.

Quote:
Trump supporters and some independent analysts assert that his appeal to many blue-collar whites in Rust Belt states (such as Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin) could pull these states’ electoral votes into the Republican column. The problem is, there is little evidence that the non-college voters supporting Trump in the primaries are defectors from the Democrats; most have been backing GOP candidates fairly consistently, so the net addition for Trump could be small. Nor do we buy the theory that increased Republican primary turnout this year means Trump is going to bring out millions more white and primarily male voters that weren’t excited by John McCain in 2008 and Mitt Romney in 2012. Maybe there will be higher white male voter participation, but there will probably be augmented, heavily Democratic minority turnout to balance it. Additionally, some white voters, particularly those with higher incomes and levels of education who may have voted for Romney, might have a hard time pulling the lever for Trump.
http://www.centerforpolitics.org/cry...-that-matters/
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/up...-democrat.html
Trump Democrats are a myth.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:46 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Ah yes, Herman Cain clearly has his finger on Americas pulse.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:47 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Cain speaks the truth. Trump will have massive crossover appeal. November couldn't get here quick enough!
Reagan captured the sheet and hood Dems a long time ago and they never came back. Whether Trump has massive crossdresser appeal remains to be seen.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
There's been little evidence that the registered Democrats supporting Trump have been supporting Democratic Presidential candidates.
There's plenty of evidence. Of course one can google up links, even opinion articles from the the NYT that say anything.

All one has to do is to look at the huge drop in turnout in the primaries for Democrats and the corresponding huge rise in turnout for the Republicans to see there is plenty of evidence.

I am a registered Democrat who has only voted for Democrat presidents since Clinton was in office. Not this year. I'm voting for Trump.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
There's plenty of evidence. Of course one can google up links, even opinion articles from the the NYT that say anything.

All one has to do is to look at the huge drop in turnout in the primaries for Democrats and the corresponding huge rise in turnout for the Republicans to see there is plenty of evidence.

I am a registered Democrat who has only voted for Democrat presidents since Clinton was in office. Not this year. I'm voting for Trump.
Uh Huh.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:53 AM

Trump needs to get Ronald Reagan 1984 numbers among white voters in order to pull this off. And that's assuming he doesn't have a large drop off among hispanics and asians as well.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:57 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

Quote:
In the collective mind’s eye of political pundits and observers, the “working class” is what it was a generation ago: largely white and mostly male, with a heavy presence in trades and factories. There are still Americans who fit this description. But they’re also a shrinking portion of the working class, and the attention they receive perennially from political observers—many of whom see them as the pivot around which American politics turns—is entirely out of proportion to their declining numbers.

As recently as 2013, more than 60 percent of working-class Americans between 25 and 54 years old were white. If you extend the age bracket to 64, that increases to nearly 63 percent. But in 2014, those numbers—for the first category—dropped to 59.6 percent. In 2015, it was 58.8 percent. This year, non-Hispanic whites are 58 percent of the working class, a historic low.

People of color make up more than a third of America’s labor force, and they’re a large and growing plurality of working-class people in particular. As of this year, 23.5 percent of working people are Hispanic; 15 percent are black; and 3.5 percent are Asian American. That’s a total of 42 percent. In 10 years, they’ll constitute nearly half of all working-class Americans. As it stands, the youngest cohort of working-class Americans—at 54.4 percent white and 45.5 percent nonwhite—is almost there. And close to half of all working-class people—across all races and ethnic groups—are women working in service jobs as well as traditional blue-collar professions.

The truth is that it’s inaccurate to talk about Trump’s “working-class appeal.” What Trump has, instead, is a message tailored to a conservative portion of white workers. These voters aren’t the struggling whites of Appalachia or the old Rust Belt, in part because those workers don’t vote, and there’s no evidence Trump has turned them out. Instead, Trump is winning those whites with middle-class incomes. Given his strength in unionized areas like the Northeast, some are blue collar and culturally working class. But many others are not. Many others are what we would simply call Republicans.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...ing_class.html

Last edited by Bureaucat; 05-15-2016 at 10:11 AM..

Old 05-15-2016, 10:00 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Ah yes, Herman Cain clearly has his finger on Americas pulse.
I much prefer that idea to thinking he is your proctologists being employed to wake you up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections