U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:28 PM

89 posts, read 209,797 times

Advertisements

I came across an interesting article in the Washington Post. It seems that the line "We are the ones we've been waiting for" wasn't exactly an original idea.

Gopnik, a skeptic, writes: "If you Google Obama's wonderful line 'We are the ones we've been waiting for,' it's credited right and left, and going back to the nineties, as a bit of Hopi Indian wisdom.... frankly, I doubt that it can be a true Hopi aphorism, unless in some very different form, since I suspect the grammar works only in English. (You couldn't say it in French, for instance, so far as I can figure.) I wonder who really did invent it, and where B.O. ... found it?"

Keep Hopi Alive | The Trail | washingtonpost.com

Granted, it's not uncommon for politicians - or anyone else for that matter - to quote others in a speech. But isn't appropriate to cite your source if you're going to use someone else's line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 11:31 PM

316 posts, read 539,563 times
Default Won't do the research or you!

Know however. Most thoughts and ideas are a product of envoronment and study.

John F. kennedy's most famous lines were preused.

Most speakers quote others.

Oh Get a lfie. Give credit where credit is do.

Mr. Obama surely formulates terrific speeches. and if you might think that you came across a previously used line somewhere... research it to see where the person before got it from!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:09 AM

32,260 posts, read 54,982,722 times
I dont care if he got from a fortune cookie at Panda Express.

I want him to win.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:14 AM

403 posts, read 684,755 times
Is anyone giving out free drugs to hillary supporters ?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:52 AM

4,182 posts, read 5,789,637 times
Quote:
Granted, it's not uncommon for politicians - or anyone else for that matter - to quote others in a speech. But isn't appropriate to cite your source if you're going to use someone else's line?
You can tell how desperate Hillary's supporters are when they start accusing Obama of plagiarizing......folk sayings! Are you going to sue Obama for this? Let's just say, you are missing the forest for the trees.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:41 AM

5,233 posts, read 7,721,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysse157 View Post
No. It isn't. He wasn't writing a thesis. Did John McCain quote his "fired up and ready to go" source the other night? (Some old lady in South Carolina, who took it from...) Speech writers are constantly re-using old lines in new contexts. Mitt Romney's recent religion speech took a few lines from Kennedy's speech. Just because YOU and I don't recognize a line as being from somewhere else, doesn't mean every re-used line needs to be sourced. Presidential speech writers definitely know the history of their craft, and use that knowledge to use old lines (or similar ones) in fresh context.

I have a dream. I have a dream that one day the idiots on these forums will have something important to talk about. I have a dream.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:32 AM

8,830 posts, read 17,290,263 times
Maybe there was a footnote on his index cards.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:38 AM
BVH

944 posts, read 465,581 times
I'm more concerned with his plagiarism of all of Hillary's legislation and ideas.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:39 AM
BVH

944 posts, read 465,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica1000 View Post
Is anyone giving out free drugs to hillary supporters ?
No, unfortunately there was only enough for half the Democratic party.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:07 AM

1,491 posts, read 2,025,578 times
It first started when Maria Shriver used it during her endorsement...she prefaced the quote by saying, (paraphrased) "The Hopi's have a saying..."

And then a few other people used it...and finally Barack used it. By that time, it had been used so much in that context that Barack probably felt like he didn't have to keep stating where the quote came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or