U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 02:49 PM

491 posts, read 243,296 times

Advertisements

Amazingly, the far-left of the Democratic Party is now trying to prevent Julian Castro from being named as Clinton's VP because he isn't "progressive" enough for them.

Julian Castro moves to stop VP fire from the left - POLITICO

I guess the Democratic Party has moved even further to the left that I had imagined. In fact, I always thought that one of the reasons why Castro was the front-runner for the VP slot was because the far-left adored him. After all, he and his brother Joaquin were heavily influenced by their mother (who was one of the founders of La Raza).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 03:15 PM

9,628 posts, read 5,946,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
Amazingly, the far-left of the Democratic Party is now trying to prevent Julian Castro from being named as Clinton's VP because he isn't "progressive" enough for them.

Julian Castro moves to stop VP fire from the left - POLITICO

I guess the Democratic Party has moved even further to the left that I had imagined. In fact, I always thought that one of the reasons why Castro was the front-runner for the VP slot was because the far-left adored him. After all, he and his brother Joaquin were heavily influenced by their mother (who was one of the founders of La Raza).
You can't even keep your own story straight. At first you said only the "far-left" section of the Democratic party is blocking Castro.

And then you proceed to somehow conclude that the entire Democratic party is behind it, which contradicted what you said just one sentence before.

I understand, it's hard to keep spin straight.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:26 PM

11,758 posts, read 5,547,783 times
The far-left wing of the Democratic Party seems to be supporting Bernie Sanders, and many of them apparently will not be voting for Hillary if she wins the nomination. While someone like Elizabeth Warren or Sherrod Brown would be a very solid VP candidate, I can see why the party might be weary of "demands" from that wing of the party.

Mick

Old 05-17-2016, 11:06 AM

4,786 posts, read 2,193,548 times
I think Stefonknee Wolscht Stefonknee Wolscht would be perfect for Hillary's VP. I mean if she was serious about being progressive. Or maybe Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:08 AM

12,639 posts, read 7,316,536 times
Neither was Joe Lieberman, or Bob Casey, or Sam Nunn. Hell, JFK would be kicked out of today's Democrat Party for being a "right wing nut job."

Today's Democrat Party is the party of freaks who boo the boy scouts, use abortion as birth control, and think grown men should have the right to ogle little girls in women's restrooms. Sad.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:27 AM

11,985 posts, read 5,122,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Neither was Joe Lieberman, or Bob Casey, or Sam Nunn. Hell, JFK would be kicked out of today's Democrat Party for being a "right wing nut job."

Today's Democrat Party is the party of freaks who boo the boy scouts, use abortion as birth control, and think grown men should have the right to ogle little girls in women's restrooms. Sad.
Well said. Anyone slightly more conservative than Vladimir Lenin would be considered a right wing nut job by many of today's liberals. Of course if you ask them, they are centrists...LOL.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:23 PM

491 posts, read 243,296 times
I fully concur that JFK would be a pariah in today's Democratic Party.

In response to what Mick said, I don't think that Elizabeth Warren will be chosen, if only because Clinton will not want to be upstaged by her VP. (A GOP governor would also appoint an interim replacement were Warren to vacate her seat; however, a special election would soon be held, in which the Democratic candidate would be a strong favorite.) Choosing the extremely liberal Sherrod Brown would mollify the far-left, so I think that he is a distinct possibility. Of course, there is some resistance to Brown being on the ticket, because John Kasich would appoint a replacement (who would serve the remainder of Brown's term). If I were a Democrat, however, I wouldn't worry too much about this fact, because one Senate seat is not likely to make a decisive difference. (I am guessing that the Democrats will gain about seven to ten Senate seats this year, and that the GOP will probably net an equal amount of Senate seats in the 2018 elections.)

Old 05-17-2016, 03:50 PM

15,539 posts, read 13,532,447 times
I think Hillary should go the route Obama did with the VP pick...

As of now, it seems she is trying to play a guessing game, in that which VP pick will solicit the most votes. I think she should understand who might be swayed, and who will actually be swayed enough to vote when the time comes to do so.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:03 PM

8,804 posts, read 4,721,853 times
Sherrod Brown make me vote for Hillary. So far not voting for Hillary, but it depends on two things if Bill is in charge of the Economy and who her VP is.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:18 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,063,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
As of now, it seems she is trying to play a guessing game, in that which VP pick will solicit the most votes. I think she should understand who might be swayed, and who will actually be swayed enough to vote when the time comes to do so.
She has been mostly mum on the subject so I don't where you get she is playing a game? It's true that every nominee considers votes first and foremost when choosing their VP, and she's no different.

Almost all the speculation about which VP pick will pull the most votes for her comes from the news and social media (including C-D posters), not from her or her campaign although she reportedly has said she does not feel any pressure to enthrall Sanders supporters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or