U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 08:07 AM

8,680 posts, read 4,672,309 times

Advertisements

We'll have semi-open primaries? Where mail in ballots need to be turned in two weeks prior and works on two parts. First part fill online or a postcard where you select what ballot the State sends you. Can choose Republican, Democrat, or Non Affiliated. You receive the ballot of the Party you selected in the mail and turn it back two weeks prior to the day of the Primary.

Second the Primaries will only be held on Saturdays from March to June with Conventions at the end of June instead of August. At the Primaries don't have to registered to a Party just a register voter. You walk in you sign in. You then proceed to a table where you can select a Republican, Democrat, or Non Affiliated Ballot (That releases delegates to no one).

They do away with Super Delegates and if a tie in number of pledged delegates they go by who has the most votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 09:30 AM

14,686 posts, read 10,574,793 times
Political parties are private organizations. Neither you nor the state have the right to dictate how they choose their nominee. If they want to select their nominee by drawing a name out of the hat they can. Frankly, they would have done better this year if they had done that.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:57 AM

34,610 posts, read 33,607,038 times
I think that would be boring but I'd like all of the states to have primaries (no caucuses or conventions) and all have the overall state winner get a lump sum of delegates and each district winner get two or three.

I'd also like only 3 debates but that's another topic.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:12 AM

2,187 posts, read 1,120,109 times
All open primaries held on the same day

Old 05-17-2016, 10:27 AM

21,045 posts, read 11,669,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
All open primaries held on the same day
that's the last thing the candidates want. Having just a handful of early primaries means someone without a national presence can launch a campaign. Sanders would still be "Bernie who?" if there was a single day primary because his campaign had to build up over time. That's been the case in many election cycles on both sides.

I personally would like to see the dates get moved around - so have the handful of early states, but change up which states go first every time.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:34 AM

I like it if there was 3 debates before the Primary. Then during the primary hold a debate in March, May, & April. Then in June hold a debate with the remaining candiates left for both parties. Also televise Independent debates on CSPAN of any Independent Party with more then 3 million registered voters.

Like to see Florida hold there Primary in March. California in April. New York in May. Have the South and Midwest states vote in March. With the exception of New Hampshire. New Hampshire and Ohio would be first. Then Iowa, Florida, and Illinois. MidAtlantic States and Western States in April. Have California, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey all on the same day. New England and any other States left to vote will be in May and June. Also Hawaii and the Islands vote in March. Alaska in June. Puerto Rico in April.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:46 AM

5,382 posts, read 2,188,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Political parties are private organizations. Neither you nor the state have the right to dictate how they choose their nominee. If they want to select their nominee by drawing a name out of the hat they can. Frankly, they would have done better this year if they had done that.
Amen to that. Maybe the short bus riders would learn that primaries are not about them, but about the political parties choosing their candidate.

I think we need to go back to pure caucuses during primaries to help those who are too dense to figure out the difference between primaries and the general can go back to sleep for the 4 years between presidential elections and leave the rest to the adults who actually CARE about who the party nominates as its presidential nominee.

Moderator cut: no manual signatures, please

Last edited by Marka; 05-22-2016 at 02:37 AM..

Old 05-17-2016, 11:04 AM

5,167 posts, read 3,274,095 times
RunD1987, the primaries are most likely not going to be changing any time soon, so it's better not to dwell on any of that. The quicker you realize your candidate will not be the nomination, the better it will be for your mental well-being. Just write in Bernie's name on November 8th, if your state allows it, and then you'll have a clear conscience and know you voted for the candidate you really wanted.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:08 AM

I know Bernie won't win. I am just saying elections need a bit of a change to match the times.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:11 AM

2,187 posts, read 1,120,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
that's the last thing the candidates want. Having just a handful of early primaries means someone without a national presence can launch a campaign. Sanders would still be "Bernie who?" if there was a single day primary because his campaign had to build up over time. That's been the case in many election cycles on both sides.

I personally would like to see the dates get moved around - so have the handful of early states, but change up which states go first every time.
The 2008 primaries schedule were slightly better, the Super Tuesday was really huge compared to this year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or