Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 05:40 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times

Advertisements

A flat sales tax sounds good to me, but it is terribly regressive. How do we basically give free money to the poor and lower middle class without the right howling to the moon?

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 05:48 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
The worst thing to do is like we do now, with means testing. Means testing is a favorite among both Republicans and Democrats because it divide people up based on makers and takers and cause people to rile against taxes in general as they dont get the benefits but pay the price. Means testing causes "tax revolts" while universal taxes and universal services generally dont. People love stuff like social security, medicare, public schools etc. When people feel they have something invested, they support taxes. Thats what the corporate Democrats and GOP fear would happen if social democrats get power and thats why people like Hillary dont support taxes on anyone but the very rich because she knows these taxes and programs are far easier to dismantle later on.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:21 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,192 times
A flat tax only gets rid of the IRS in name only. There will a tax authority with the same powers under any flat tax created.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:25 PM

1,100 posts, read 633,623 times
If I didn't know any better, I'd say the majority of comments in this thread, are from people who are ok with the government (local/state/federal) taking ~1/3 of your income.

It's like an argument over how much are we ok with the government stealing from us.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:47 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
If I didn't know any better, I'd say the majority of comments in this thread, are from people who are ok with the government (local/state/federal) taking ~1/3 of your income.

It's like an argument over how much are we ok with the government stealing from us.
Vs's what we get. stealing would imply that there's no benefit to us from the money. And there most definitely is. The vast majority do not lose 1/3 of their income, the average effective tax rate-including local and state is about 22% I believe. Im paying above that.

Source:
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/taxe...es-nationwide/

And I get police, fire, a military, darpa, local roads, interstates, food safety, and much much more.

The people complaining the loudest often can't comprehend what it would be like without it, because they place no value on them. They seem to think some magical fairy would come down and provide all of this to us at no cost. POOF! MAGIC!

Old 05-22-2016, 06:49 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Supporters of a flat tax believe that the only fair income tax would apply an equal percentage to all taxpayers.

Specifically, many supporters advocate a rate of 17 percent. In other words, if one person earned $50,000 a year and another earned $300,000 a year, both would pay 17 percent of their income to the federal government. Although flat tax plans do away with most of the exemptions, loopholes and deductions that result in much of the complexity of the current system.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:50 PM

1,100 posts, read 633,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Vs's what we get. stealing would imply that there's no benefit to us from the money. And there most definitely is. The vast majority do not lose 1/3 of their income, the average effective tax rate-including local and state is about 22% I believe. Im paying above that.

Source:
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/taxe...es-nationwide/

And I get police, fire, a military, darpa, local roads, interstates, food safety, and much much more.

The people complaining the loudest often can't comprehend what it would be like without it, because they place no value on them. They seem to think some magical fairy would come down and provide all of this to us at no cost. POOF! MAGIC!
you get police/fire dept, etc.. from local/state taxes and could be solely from state/local taxes as well. Again - why does federal need taxes? Social Security? Military? How much money does the federal government generate without taxes? How much does the government waste through fraud and pure abuse? I'm not sure about where you live...but the roads suck here. So does the public education system. That list could get quite long if I kept rattling off things we should benefit from..but are horrible.

Oh and for what it's worth - I've been on 5 continents, in/out of over 30-40 countries and lived in a few...mostly third world types....most recently a country in western Africa.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:05 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
So, what do you think?
I guess it's a good thing the Libertarians are in a position to gain control of the House & Senate in the 2016 Election and give to Johnson everything he wants.

Oh...wait...that will never happen

Old 05-22-2016, 07:48 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Please, I am so sick and tired of your nonsense. You keep trying this narrative that our system is the most progressive because you (and the article) ignore all but some cherry picked data. The most benefits? Come talk to me when my health insurance is paid for with my taxes, and my college was paid for with my taxes.
It's not nonsense. READ the article. READ the charts and graph:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ont-have-a-47/

And, yes, in the U.S., most freebie government means-tested welfare social program benefits, about $1 trillion/year of federal spending, go to the poor and low-income. Who qualifies for SNAP, welfare, Section 8, TANF, Medicaid, etc., etc.? Hmmmm...?

Old 05-22-2016, 07:53 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
A huge sales tax would be disastrous for everyone but the wealthy
BS. It works perfectly fine in Scandinavia and Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections