Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 02:16 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
How about this for an ideal ticket:
Experience: Two former governors. Each two terms. Both considered very successful.
Independence
: Neither of them owes anything to either major party.

And that's what the Libertarians have to offer this time.
How many Libertarians are in the House & Senate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 03:35 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
"Lesser of two evils . . . "
"We need another option . . . "
"Both parties are corrupt . . ."
"We want an outsider to take down the establishment . . ."

Some prefer experience. Clinton has taken all the "right" career steps, but people don't trust her. (That's covered in other threads, so I'll leave it at that.) Is this the best the D's have to offer?

Other people prefer the wealthy authoritarian. "He doesn't owe anyone," they say. "He's strong and will get things done." (But oh, the things he wants to do!) Is this the best the R's can come up with?

How about this for an ideal ticket:
Experience: Two former governors. Each two terms. Both considered very successful.
Independence
: Neither of them owes anything to either major party.

And that's what the Libertarians have to offer this time.

Given the qualifications and lack of scandal, why do they not get more attention? Well, they won't get many endorsements from big-name R's and D's, even from those unhappy with their party's choice, because most career politicians will not be brave enough to risk their political careers by supporting someone outside the party.

I'm hoping that some will be so bold and will put the country's best interests above their own careers.

They might top 1% this time.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:37 PM

1,100 posts, read 633,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
How many Libertarians are in the House & Senate?
A few actually, but obviously no where near a majority. Next question.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:29 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
They might top 1% this time.

Thats pretty much a given since they were at .99% in 2012 with people who were at a minimum OK with both parties, nowhere near that level of complacency this time around. I'd be shocked if they didn't get at least 2.5% but I'm hoping for 5% or more so they can get public funds in 2020.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:37 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Irony is best when it's unintended.
LOL. And that's exactly why I think the libertarian party should go nowhere.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Irony is best when it's unintended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
LOL. And that's exactly why I think the libertarian party should go nowhere.
I already shot that ill thought out theory of yours in another thread.

FEC funds don't come from tax money, its VOLUNTARILY contributed every year by those who fill out their taxes and VOLUNTARILY check of the donation box, its not a tax like you are trying to imply.

So yeah, as you said "LOL" try harder next time.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:46 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Voting for a third party candidate is not a wasted vote.

Even if your candidate does not win it sends a strong message to the two establishment parties.
Exactly, I am voting for Johnson to send a message to the GOP that it's time to get with the times instead of bashing minorities and gay people. We need new solutions and ideas, not buffoons babbling about mass roundups of illegal immigrants and how the Bible should dictate government policy.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:10 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I already shot that ill thought out theory of yours in another thread.

FEC funds don't come from tax money, its VOLUNTARILY contributed every year by those who fill out their taxes and VOLUNTARILY check of the donation box, its not a tax like you are trying to imply.
I never said it was a tax.
Those VOLUNTARILY contributed funds are collected and distributed by a fully tax-payer funded agency that the Libertarian party wants to abolish. Hence the hypocrisy.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I never said it was a tax.
Those VOLUNTARILY contributed funds are collected and distributed by a fully tax-payer funded agency that the Libertarian party wants to abolish. Hence the hypocrisy.
If you want to use this insanely warped logic, then I guess your next step would be to question why a Libertarian candidate would even run for office since they want to reduce the size of the government, right? I mean why become an employee of the entity you want to shrink, you are just adding to the problem, right? Zero hypocrisy in this made up drama of yours.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:06 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
If you want to use this insanely warped logic, then I guess your next step would be to question why a Libertarian candidate would even run for office since they want to reduce the size of the government, right? I mean why become an employee of the entity you want to shrink, you are just adding to the problem, right? Zero hypocrisy in this made up drama of yours.
You might want to learn about the Libertarian party before you criticize it. Libertarians don't want to abolish government, they want to reduce the size of government to a size for the responsibilities that it is given through the Constitution. Being elected as a representative of the people is not where they seek to shrink the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections