Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:26 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Actually, to get it just right and/or better understood, if you don't vote for either, the one who benefits is the one you least prefer. First fact to establish is which -- all considered -- you favor. That's who "loses" if you don't vote or vote alternatively.

For example, if you slightly lean toward Trump as either better or least of evils, as it seems your comment implies, such that you would vote for Trump if you were inclined to vote for either rather than neither, then by not voting, you just cost Trump a vote he COULD have had, giving Hillary that benefit.

Net effect, in that scenario, you just made it one vote more likely that Hillary is our next POTUS...

Just simple math is all, adding up to "unintended consequences."
If you want simple math, show me the state where the election was decided by one vote. Pretty sure that has never happened, so until we get to that point, my one vote will never truly matter either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 04:32 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times
Quote:
You are right, and this is one of the few good justifications I have seen presented before that I would agree makes sense, if in fact you see that optimistic outcome for the Libertarian party. Frankly, the Libertarian party has been at it for a long time now, rarely getting much better than 3 percent of the vote, and for obvious reasons I think, but if you really think that you and enough others can change that into the future, I can't fault that hope. I just don't see it as realistic, all considered, but of course we are all called upon to consider what we think can realistically be accomplished into the future. Especially when it comes to predicting that future or those opportunities four years from now, no one can really say...

Also, if you think working to that end has more importance and/or probability as compared to the consequence of either Hillary or Trump becoming POTUS, then I consider your decision better justified, certainly better justified than other positions typically explained here, but really?

You really see the Libertarian party rising to that level of promise given all the attempts so far? You really see signs America is shifting in that direction to any negligible degree worth pinning those hopes on? This too, I'm not seeing...
MANY people lean Libertarian when they answer online polls and questionnaires, its just that its a highly unknown entity in the US political entity, and there are many people out there that demonize the party itself, and voting third parties in general. People fear what they don't know, and have a tendency to go with group think because its easier than researching and understanding things. I mean if John Stewart or some talking head on your favorite news station says something, it must be true, right? That seems to be what drives the decision for a lot of folks, and obviously the third party voice isn't going to get heard that way. So yes, I think 5% is possible in this election season where both candidates have unnaturally high numbers of people in their own parties that dislike them.

I've been hopeful about trying to vote for State/Local Libertarian candidates, but its a tough group from what I have seen. It tends to be people that aren't really Libertarian, but just know that its the best chance they have without running against the established D/R candidate. In my state, the Libertarian candidate for governor last time around really rubbed me the wrong way, and then this year he came out as a huge Ted Cruz surrogate/supporter, so I'm glad I didn't vote for him, but it is one good example as to why its hard to build from the ground up sometimes.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:15 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,320,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3001 View Post
Hopefully this costs the corporations the election and forces the party to change.
Cost corporations? How do you figure if most folks stay home the corporations still win by default without having to spend a dime! That's no cost which is fine with them. What's a few million amongst friends, something more than office petty cash I would hope?

Old 05-24-2016, 05:17 PM

29,526 posts, read 9,696,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
If you want simple math, show me the state where the election was decided by one vote. Pretty sure that has never happened, so until we get to that point, my one vote will never truly matter either way.
Like I explained before, and I say again..., to the extent any single vote DOES have value, best it be devoted to the determination of Hillary or Trump if the idea is to apply that value.

Otherwise, I don't need any more reason to believe my vote means little to nothing. Believe me when I say I struggle to believe my vote makes a difference. To that end this argument is probably more academic than anything else.

On the other hand..., no one single tax payer dollar makes all that much difference either, but collectively, that's another matter and perhaps also some math we might do well to consider as well, right?

As some might also say, "there is strength in numbers."

Old 05-24-2016, 05:25 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Actually, to get it just right and/or better understood, if you don't vote for either, the one who benefits is the one you least prefer. First fact to establish is which -- all considered -- you favor. That's who "loses" if you don't vote or vote alternatively.
No, the one who benefits is the one you voted for.

Quote:
For example, if you slightly lean toward Trump as either better or least of evils, as it seems your comment implies, such that you would vote for Trump if you were inclined to vote for either rather than neither, then by not voting, you just cost Trump a vote he COULD have had, giving Hillary that benefit.
I and many others don't lean enough towards either to vote for them.

Quote:
Net effect, in that scenario, you just made it one vote more likely that Hillary is our next POTUS...

My vote did exactly what I intended it to do.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:26 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
It's been shown where it does. If you are voting 3rd party, every vote is important and counts.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:26 PM

29,526 posts, read 9,696,629 times
Quote:
MANY people lean Libertarian when they answer online polls and questionnaires, its just that its a highly unknown entity in the US political entity, and there are many people out there that demonize the party itself, and voting third parties in general. People fear what they don't know, and have a tendency to go with group think because its easier than researching and understanding things. I mean if John Stewart or some talking head on your favorite news station says something, it must be true, right? That seems to be what drives the decision for a lot of folks, and obviously the third party voice isn't going to get heard that way. So yes, I think 5% is possible in this election season where both candidates have unnaturally high numbers of people in their own parties that dislike them.

I've been hopeful about trying to vote for State/Local Libertarian candidates, but its a tough group from what I have seen. It tends to be people that aren't really Libertarian, but just know that its the best chance they have without running against the established D/R candidate. In my state, the Libertarian candidate for governor last time around really rubbed me the wrong way, and then this year he came out as a huge Ted Cruz surrogate/supporter, so I'm glad I didn't vote for him, but it is one good example as to why its hard to build from the ground up sometimes.
I'm not one to give the general or typical voter all that much credit toward knowing what these politicians and/or parties represent, but I think they deserve a bit more credit than you seem inclined to give. Whether that's because you don't much like to consider why Libertarian philosophy is flawed, I don't know, but either way...

I've been following politics for a fair amount of time now, and especially this go-around, to suggest that the Libertarian party didn't yet again have opportunity to be heard plenty loud and clear, as we who were interested to listen did during the GOP debates, just what more message or knowledge do we need hear that we haven't all heard plenty times before from the Libertarian party?

Would be one thing if the Libertarian party were some new fresh face on the scene with a new message, but that's not the case at all!

Comes a point, I think, when for example dating as well..., if your advances are not well received over plenty enough time and effort to that end, might be "we're just not that into you."

Old 05-24-2016, 05:40 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,320,714 times
Quote:
People fear what they don't know, and have a tendency to go with group think because its easier than researching and understanding things.
YOU are eligible for the winning genuine solo mike drop at this point congrats!!! A dropped mike doesn't pay for much not that a whole lot of people care which they don't it would appear.

As a result any short term demonstration that ran contrary to the peer canners would not be received in the best light and flow out to the sole designee to look out for any derelict delivery devices, parts etc. Hopefully someone or a group of someones can figure out what has to done and see that it gets done, with some degree of competence!

Old 05-24-2016, 05:49 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,838,279 times
Quote:

What is the effect when I would rather stab sharp needles in my eyes than vote for either one - equally?

Old 05-24-2016, 06:03 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,550,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The consequences are intended.
Lets rip off the band aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections