Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 11:11 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Have you ever heard of SCA5? Do you know most Asian Americans are against it?
And that doesn't necessarily translate into support for Trump.

This Chinese American certainly won't.

I am turned off by his cheap tendency to scapegoat and stereotype certain ethnic groups for any perceived social and political problems in this country. Just as it's easy to slam Latinos and Muslims now, it's not a stretch to see how he'll turn on Asians for issues such as high real estate prices, trade issues, or selling trade secrets overseas, for cheap political points.

Think of Vincent Chin, 1983.
Or Wen Ho Lee, 1998.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 11:20 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
In the 2012 presidential election, Barack Obama won 73 percent of the Asian American vote, exceeding his support among Hispanics (71 percent) and women (55 percent).

Between 2008 and 2012, Asians surpassed Latinos as the most quickly growing immigrant group, and, like Latinos, they voted for Obama

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...for-democrats/

Old 05-26-2016, 11:23 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,171 times
I find Chinese Americans very interesting.

While most don't vote in the Presidential election, I think they are more likely to vote in city and county elections(compared to white Americans). In my local area, the Chinese Americans are really active in city politics. County as well, state not so much but I think my state is the first maybe only state to have a Chinese American Governor.

They tend to be Democratic by a huge margin, my guess is 3/4 are Democrats. BUT most of them are fiscally conservative and for traditional marriage. Many always complain about the over spending by local government and they know the details. Traditional marriage for most Chinese Americans is something they won't budge on. I always wondered what are the main reasons for them to be Democrats, I have not found a overly common theme among them.

Those that like the Communist Party are Democrat supporters, yes there are Chinese Americans who openly support the Chinese Communist Party, it is really strange.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:24 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbM2F-cfN0A

Old 05-26-2016, 11:36 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And that doesn't necessarily translate into support for Trump.

This Chinese American certainly won't.

I am turned off by his cheap tendency to scapegoat and stereotype certain ethnic groups for any perceived social and political problems in this country. Just as it's easy to slam Latinos and Muslims now, it's not a stretch to see how he'll turn on Asians for issues such as high real estate prices, trade issues, or selling trade secrets overseas, for cheap political points.

Think of Vincent Chin, 1983.
Or Wen Ho Lee, 1998.
I posted a photo, that shows yes.
American politicians always smear China one way or another, so Chinese Americans already got used to it. Also, a lot of Chinese Americans actually hate China government, sadly so.

Last edited by yueng-ling; 05-26-2016 at 11:51 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
In the 2012 presidential election, Barack Obama won 73 percent of the Asian American vote, exceeding his support among Hispanics (71 percent) and women (55 percent).

Between 2008 and 2012, Asians surpassed Latinos as the most quickly growing immigrant group, and, like Latinos, they voted for Obama

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...for-democrats/
Obama is not Hillary. Many Obama voters regretted too.

They are the most quickly growing group only because Americans lump Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Indians, Pakistanis, Arabs, Iranians....in "Asians". A false concept to being with.

I would argue Indians, Iranians and Arabs look like Mexicans, not Chinese.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post

While most don't vote in the Presidential election, I think they are more likely to vote in city and county elections(compared to white Americans). In my local area, the Chinese Americans are really active in city politics. County as well, state not so much but I think my state is the first maybe only state to have a Chinese American Governor.

They tend to be Democratic by a huge margin, my guess is 3/4 are Democrats. BUT most of them are fiscally conservative and for traditional marriage. Many always complain about the over spending by local government and they know the details. Traditional marriage for most Chinese Americans is something they won't budge on. I always wondered what are the main reasons for them to be Democrats, I have not found a overly common theme among them.

Those that like the Communist Party are Democrat supporters, yes there are Chinese Americans who openly support the Chinese Communist Party, it is really strange.
There used to be many illegal immigrants from Asia. They wanted amnesty and depended on welfare, to some extent.

Now the Chinese do not come illegally any more, and most new immigrants are well educated and/or wealthy. They totally changed.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post

Well, maybe there are politicians who listen to what they want.

Democrats aren't necessarily aligned with the Communist Party, that's an old McCarthyist saw.

You know Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic House Leader from San Francisco? She has had a very long track record of criticizing China for its human rights record. Pelosi's district includes Chinatown, and many of Chinatown's residents fled China from the Communists - so being hard with China is popular there. I'll agree that SF's Chinatown is very, very well organized politically.

Contrast that with her Senate counterpart and fellow San Franciscan, Dianne Feinstein, once mayor of San Francisco, who is one of the most China-friendly members of Congress around. She's tight with former Chinese leader Jiang Zemin, who was mayor of Shanghai when they established sister city relations. Her husband Dick Blum has made a lot of investments over in China.

In any case, today's China isn't all that communist anymore. In some ways, you can argue that they're more capitalist than we are here!

It's a myth that Democratic politicians and constituent groups are fiscal spendthrifts, have libertine lifestyles, or aren't family value conservatives.

Governor Jerry Brown of California has always been a bit of a skinflint when it comes to fiscal issues.

Many African Americans (as loyal and solid Democratic constituency as any) are very culturally conservative and very religious.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:03 AM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
"I once was a slave before and I will never be one again." -Lily Tang Williams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxNwsWYuObg

Libertarian running for U.S. Senate in Colorado.
That lady is brilliant. I'd vote for her if I lived there. She has first-hand experience of what collectivism really means. I loved the story of her talking to the guy in the Mao t-shirt. I wonder if it changed his opinion.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
I posted a photo, that shows yes.
American politicians always smear China one way or another, so Chinese Americans already got used to it. Also, a lot of Chinese Americans actually hate China government, sadly so.
Chinese Americans don't have to like the Chinese government to be concerned with US politicians criticizing China.

The problem is when American politicians (and a considerable part of the American public) starts to use enmity, hostility or suspicion of China (in terms of geopolitics, economic rivalry) and translate that into scapegoating or suspicion of Chinese Americans as loyal citizens, or as a fifth column.

Look at the Wen Ho Lee affair. After he got canned from the Los Alamos National Laboratory, a lot of other Asian Americans at defense research labs fell under suspicion, and saw their career paths blocked or were forced out. It's because of that I have undying hatred and loathing for Bill Richardson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections