Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 01:59 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
My ideal? If people are to come into this country, I want mostly educated people coming into this country, not unskilled labor, but only if we don't have enough of our own citizens to fulfill those jobs(ie IT jobs, technology, etc.). We are overflowing in cheap/unskilled/often illegal alien labor.
O.K. so make that argument and get people to agree with you.

Quote:
As for what has been the last 240 years, I think we should adapt to the current situation in our nation, not a textbook/inflexible mantra of what was/should be in an ideal world. And to me that means adjusting to the current times and addressing the fact that a bunch of our own citizens are unemployed/gave up finding work. And that means not using the headline/fake unemployment rate politicians use. Until we can get our own citizens to work, yes, I think we should lock the door to our country on new arrivals for the most part until we get our own problems/employment situation fixed.
Again....we have a system where we can change our laws. Convince enough and you'll get your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 02:26 PM

124 posts, read 202,909 times
#FeeltheJohnson it's so refreshing to have a candidate who represents my views, who I dont feel like I'm "settling" for as a lesser evil.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:35 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
He might get 1% lol.
It's sad that the overwhelming majority of Americans would rather vote for one the lunatics from a main party than a solid 3rd party candidate. The Old Hag or the Assclown is going to be elected, nothing is going to change, and we're going to have 4 more years of name calling as the country continues to fall apart. Yay America!

Old 05-31-2016, 10:42 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,468,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Again....we have a system where we can change our laws. Convince enough and you'll get your way.
Do you really believe that? You and I and the masses are largely lied to during election season, just enough to get the herd to believe the lies/elect them in, then the $ takes over. And it appears obvious to many that those with the biggest campaign contributions have the best chance at getting laws changed or conveniently ignored. My pockets aren't deep enough to play in our current political system. I'm guessing yours isn't either nor are the vast majority of citizens in this country. You and I and the vast majority of the citizens are just pawns in this game.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
He might get 1% lol.
I thought so too (well maybe 2%) for the last few weeks so I haven't really given him his due. But he is polling within striking distance to the debates. After hearing him make the rounds on CNN and RT America, despite the fact I don't entirely agree with his party on the extreme issues (no government controls on business, legalization of drugs, etc.) I want to vote for him in my heart to voice displeasure in what the Democratic and Republican Parties have devolved and degenerated into, by my head differs. If I see he polls close enough to Trump, I may but my head is telling me vote Democrat to avoid Trump winning Arizona.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:36 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Do you really believe that? You and I and the masses are largely lied to during election season, just enough to get the herd to believe the lies/elect them in, then the $ takes over. And it appears obvious to many that those with the biggest campaign contributions have the best chance at getting laws changed or conveniently ignored. My pockets aren't deep enough to play in our current political system. I'm guessing yours isn't either nor are the vast majority of citizens in this country. You and I and the vast majority of the citizens are just pawns in this game.
We have amended the Constitution more than once.

Eric Cantor far and away spent more than Brat and lost.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:25 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times
Johnson may not be the answer but the reality is if the Republican Party wants to ever win national elections they need to go into a libertarian direction. They need to drop the social conservative law and order crap.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:11 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We have amended the Constitution more than once.

Eric Cantor far and away spent more than Brat and lost.
That is partially due to Cantor injecting money too little too late and the illusion that he adding do enough for constituents.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:22 AM

1,100 posts, read 633,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Johnson may not be the answer but the reality is if the Republican Party wants to ever win national elections they need to go into a libertarian direction. They need to drop the social conservative law and order crap.
Unfortunately, they won't drop that, as that's a solid majority of their voters.

If so called republicans do object to their social views...then maybe they should reconsider their political ideology and if they are actually an adequate fit for the GOP...or they should look else where.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:29 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
Unfortunately, they won't drop that, as that's a solid majority of their voters.

If so called republicans do object to their social views...then maybe they should reconsider their political ideology and if they are actually an adequate fit for the GOP...or they should look else where.

In 1964 the GOP and Barry Goldwater abandoned the Rockefeller republican wing of the party and went hard right. They got their asses whooped that year, but that election set the stage for the conservative dominance of the next 40 years.

I think a similar thing would happen if they went away from the social conservatism and religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections