Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 12:59 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp54321 View Post
What would be the effects of a Mitt Romney Third party run this november? any estimates on how he would poll nationally and statewide?
It would end the party permanently and both Kristol and Romney would have the thing they fear the most happen to them. They would be shunned and every time President Clinton appointed an activist liberal judge, their names would be vilified. They would be remembered for only that they overtly conspired to subvert the will of the people. The voters would take it out on all Republican candidates for all offices for at least the next 10 years if the party is even around that long. They seem to think Republican voters wouldn't do that. Try us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 03:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It would end the party permanently and both Kristol and Romney would have the thing they fear the most happen to them. They would be shunned and every time President Clinton appointed an activist liberal judge, their names would be vilified. They would be remembered for only that they overtly conspired to subvert the will of the people. The voters would take it out on all Republican candidates for all offices for at least the next 10 years if the party is even around that long. They seem to think Republican voters wouldn't do that. Try us.
And what happens if Trump shifts (like he is somewhat doing) and wins but doesn't satisfy his base and is "more of the same"? I fear Trump because I have no idea which Trump we will actually get. Either Trump is not right. He is either a bigot or cutting the puppet out and replacing it with the puppeteer. Also Trump can't reconsidolidate the debt by making America bankrupt like he has done time after time with various failed business ventures.

And what happens if Trump loses, will you go quietly into the night realizing that the yelling from him and others has no place in the Oval Office? Maybe it works in Congress but not at 1600 Penn Ave.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:24 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I am one of the guys that shunned the 'establishment' R's due to my deep displeasure with their actions during the Bush and Obama years. Running Romney is only gonna ***** me (and I assume others like me) off more. What they really need to do is clean up their act and make us believe they will DO WHAT THEY SAY THEY WILL!!!!!
Agree with you.

Like him or dislike him, Trump worked his a$$ off and beat out every one of the competition. The nomination belongs to him. He's earned it. Romney had his shot and blew it, and putting him (or any other candidate) up at this stage (when the rest of the GOP candidates have been battling it out for almost a year) will do nothing but **** off people like grampaTom and me.

The people spoke. The GOP needs to abide by the wishes of the people, unconditionally back the GOP presidential nominee, and then sit the hell down and shut the hell up.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:42 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Agree with you.

Like him or dislike him, Trump worked his a$$ off and beat out every one of the competition. The nomination belongs to him. He's earned it. Romney had his shot and blew it, and putting him (or any other candidate) up at this stage (when the rest of the GOP candidates have been battling it out for almost a year) will do nothing but **** off people like grampaTom and me.

The people spoke. The GOP needs to abide by the wishes of the people, unconditionally back the GOP presidential nominee, and then sit the hell down and shut the hell up.
The GOP people spoke, most didn't prefer Trump, he would just have the most votes. There have been several times this didn't happen. Goldwater in 64 was one and others (though magnified on here) were Bush in 92'and Romney in 12. Goldwater wasn't liked by the "establishment" Republicans or Rockefellers as they are called. A number of Republicans including conservatives disagreed with Bush and voted Perot in 1992. Also there are numerous people who claimed to have not voted for Romney because he wasn't conservative.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:43 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Agree with you.

To be fair, i don't think it is the GOP that will be putting up an independent. If you ask Reince, at this stage, he would tell you that the party ought to unite behind Trump.

It's more like an ad hoc group of guys who want to stop Trump at any cost (to the party or to themselves individually). They are not sanctioned by the party, and I am sure they will catch a lot of flak for doing this.

But don't discount the possibility that Kristol is just trolling Trump, to make him angry and tweet all sorts of immature and goofy stuff (it worked). Maybe there is no independent candidate . . . . . yet.

Mick

Old 05-30-2016, 03:48 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
But don't discount the possibility that Kristol is just trolling Trump, to make him angry and tweet all sorts of immature and goofy stuff (it worked).
Yep. Kristol's quite adept at doing that.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:50 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Yep. Kristol's quite adept at doing that.
You gotta hand it to people who are immune to death threats. He's like the Salman Rushdie of the neo-cons.

Mick

Old 05-30-2016, 03:55 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,429,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
You gotta hand it to people who are immune to death threats. He's like the Salman Rushdie of the neo-cons.

Mick
too bad all the soldiers he supported sending to the middle east are now dead. But look on the bright side, he has to face similar challenges to like the families of said dead soldiers, I mean, death threats on the internet. He deserves the purple heart.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:57 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
He is either a bigot or cutting the puppet out and replacing it with the puppeteer. Also Trump can't reconsidolidate the debt by making America bankrupt like he has done time after time with various failed business ventures.
Yes, he's a failed multibillion dollar developer of Trump properties the world over and his Apprentice series that resulted from that was also a failure. He's a regular racist failure.

What a racist. What a failure.

And when he says he wants real trade agreements between a strengthened U.S. and its commerce partners, and puts his anti-globalist opinions to the public test, he really doesn't. Really doesn't want to cut spending so that U.S. debt is curtailed.

That has to be why he sacrificed his brand to run for president.

Listen to more crazed leftist propaganda, and you'll surely be even more informed, emm kay punk.

Last edited by mm4; 05-30-2016 at 04:08 PM..

Old 05-30-2016, 03:58 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,036 times
Romney? Third Party? What 3rd party? The RINO Party?

The Golf Pants Establishment Party?

The Plaid Jacket Scotch Swilling Party?

Kristol needs to retire to a cabin deep in the woods of Vermont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections