Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 07:53 AM

62,943 posts, read 29,134,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
First off, whenever you have this equation laid out that goes something like this: immigrants, legal + illegal, (Hispanic either way) = criminals and terrorists, you are bound to make immigrants, legal + illegal, (Hispanics either way) feel insulted. IOWs, if with every comment about immigrants legal and/or illegal, there is always the reference to "criminals and terrorists" as you just did again, you can expect to offend a whole lot of people. After all, if they are legal, they have relatives who are not, relatives who are not "criminals and terrorists," but just people mostly trying to escape poverty, chasing opportunity, as all humans are generally/naturally inclined to do.

If offending Mexicans is Trump's goal, yours and that of the rest of Trump supporters, no doubt you are doing one Hell of a good job by constantly suggesting -- insisting really -- that Mexicans in general are the source of "criminal and terrorist" influx into America.

Regardless the politics, reality, right or wrong about any of that, Trump's wall makes about as much sense as a lighter in a house with a gas leak. Simply read the better reasoned more intelligent evaluations about that, and you will quickly come to know better, at least why it's a non-starter in any case. Yet, Trump supporters lap it up as if no fantasy is too far fetched for them.

Finally (though I could go on with quite the list of similar Trump related issues and problems), the issue of just what exactly makes for good immigration policy given Mexico at our border and the need for that labor over many decades now, makes for no simple solutions. Keep in mind, for example, many Hispanics are here legally. They come and go back-and-forth to/from Mexico as often as possible, visiting family, sending money home. Similarly, they have family that visits them. Americans and Mexicans have crossed our mutual border for many decades now, fairly freely.

The illegals don't come with bad intent, in fact the vast majority want to stay out of sight other than perhaps to visit relatives, maybe work some landscaping for some green backs, maybe to go back to Mexico soon, maybe not. There is no real way to police away that sort of thing, or wall it off. We are a very wealthy country, Mexico a poor one with problems much bigger than ours in many respects.

No one is for illegal activity on either side of the house, but the problem is that Trump does not understand or address the problem sensibly or rationally. Quite frankly, I don't think the Democrats have a handle on any real solution either, because much like so many of our problems from poverty to drugs to pollution..., there just ARE no easy answers or simple solutions, not even complicated solutions.

There's just the best we can do under the circumstances!

Once upon a time it was the Italians that were the target of anti-immigrant sentiments. There was a similar time for the Japanese, the Chinese. The problem is nothing new, but ultimately let's face it..., those most bothered by this evolution are older white guys who just don't take too comfortably becoming a minority instead of the clear majority. Not all, of course, but it is simply human nature to "look out for our own," and "our own" is generally those who look like we do...

Why would Hispanic citizens or legal immigrants feel offended about negative comments about illegal aliens especially when what is being said is the truth about them? Just the fact that they are here illegally should be enough to not be offended by negative remarks. If they have family or friends here illegally and are defending them then they certainly aren't loyal Americans or citizenship material anyway. Their families and friends aren't above our immigration laws.

It doesn't matter what intent illegal aliens have. It is the initial act of breaking the law and the results of their presence here that is important. They are fully aware of this also. They don't care about the American families they destroy it's all about them.

Anti-"immigrant" sentiments? You're talking about legal immigrants not illegal aliens here. The discrimination of the past against them were not justified but it certainly is with illegal aliens. Again, with your old white guys BS! How many times do I have to tell you that most Americans including old white guys don't have a problem with some demographic changes as long as it happens lawfully before you keep repeating the same old rhetoric?

Why should any country's citizens want to become the minority in their own countries? Would Mexicans welcome an illegal take over by the Chinese for example? If not, would you be pulling the race card on them? Why the double standard for white Americans who are the majority in this country? It's not simple human nature to pick your race/ethnic group over the national interests. It's racism!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 08:02 AM

62,943 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Think as you wish of course, most people who comment in these threads do regardless the truth of these matters...

I'm forgetting in what threads I have commented on this topic, because this topic is all over the place, but as I've explained somewhere before just today, I used to own an employment agency that hired literally thousands of workers on behalf of my business clients in need of labor at minimum wage. Guess what? I couldn't get any workers that weren't Hispanic! Not that I tried, but they were the only ones applying for these jobs that most white folks just passed on I guess, for whatever reason -- I don't really know -- I just know who applied for those jobs. I also made sure through eVerify that they were legal to work. In fact we did so well in those regards, we were part of the eVerify beta test!

These were not seasonal jobs either!

Can't tell you how tired I am of warding off these accusations WITH A TOTALLY STRAIGHT FACE, as if I'm making any of this up or as if I have some agenda other than simply to make known the truth of these matters, the real nature of these issues/problems.

It is absolutely laughable to suggest I defend illegal immigration given all I have done to deal with the problem and/or challenge of those who tried to get jobs that were not legal!

Not that I don't like Trump either (though I don't). It's that Trump doesn't make a damn bit of sense most of the time. He insults and badgers unnecessarily, inciting trouble as if we don't already have enough, and worse of all, he sucks in people like you who also don't know better.

I'm not sure who to blame for all that, but maybe best to blame Ted Kennedy as you suggest and/or insist, if we must play the blame game anyway. I'm pretty well spent on this subject for the day in any case. On to more productive endeavors which pretty much means on to just about anything else I might do including pounding sand...

Were these jobs actual minimum wage jobs or were the employers just not willing to pay a fair wage? Keep in mind that we don't live in a third world country as many Hispanics have so their expectations and living arrangements could be a lot different. I don't believe that our American youth won't work for minimum wage either. That's just plain nonsense!

This isn't about Trump's demeanor it's about his advocacy for the rule of law and ridding our country of illegal aliens. He will get my vote simply for that. I don't know any better? Perhaps, time will tell if he is elected but what other candidate is even taking a stand on the issue? As for myself, there are very few issues as important as this one in our country so it's productive IMO to fight against it.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:15 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,327,299 times
If Trump keep running the same campaign he ran during the Republican primaries, he will NOT win!

Old 06-04-2016, 08:16 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,129,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
If Trump keep running the same campaign he ran during the Republican primaries, he will NOT win!
Yes he will

Old 06-04-2016, 08:19 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
People who still believe in the Tooth Fairy will probably disagree with you. But you are 100% correct. Trump's mouth is his own worst enemy.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:42 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would Hispanic citizens or legal immigrants feel offended about negative comments about illegal aliens especially when what is being said is the truth about them? Just the fact that they are here illegally should be enough to not be offended by negative remarks. If they have family or friends here illegally and are defending them then they certainly aren't loyal Americans or citizenship material anyway. Their families and friends aren't above our immigration laws.
Explanation TAKE TWO!

These people are not "criminals and/or terrorists."

Please review comment #138 a little more carefully: if with every comment about immigrants legal and/or illegal, there is always the reference to "criminals and terrorists" as you just did again, you can expect to offend a whole lot of people. After all, if they are legal, they have relatives who are not, relatives who are not "criminals and terrorists," but just people mostly trying to escape poverty, chasing opportunity, as all humans are generally/naturally inclined to do.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:50 AM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Explanation TAKE TWO!

These people are not "criminals and/or terrorists."
...just people mostly trying to escape poverty, chasing opportunity, as all humans are generally/naturally inclined to do.
Perhaps we have a failure to communicate.

Anyone who VIOLATES LAWS in their attempt to "escape poverty" is a CRIMINAL.
All humans may be susceptible to the allure of crime, but that does not make them RIGHT.

People who do not respect the laws of the land, nor speak the language nor have any commonality with the culture, are NOT innocent law abiding immigrants.

They are INVADERS, who intend their posterity inherit YOUR lands, by any means.

And for the record, check Mexico's laws for their reaction to "just folks escaping poverty" that violate THEIR laws. Pretty harsh.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Were these jobs actual minimum wage jobs or were the employers just not willing to pay a fair wage? Keep in mind that we don't live in a third world country as many Hispanics have so their expectations and living arrangements could be a lot different. I don't believe that our American youth won't work for minimum wage either. That's just plain nonsense!

This isn't about Trump's demeanor it's about his advocacy for the rule of law and ridding our country of illegal aliens. He will get my vote simply for that. I don't know any better? Perhaps, time will tell if he is elected but what other candidate is even taking a stand on the issue? As for myself, there are very few issues as important as this one in our country so it's productive IMO to fight against it.
Plain nonsense is simply not accepting the truth...

Hispanics are part of American youth by the way.

Just FYI: The jobs I was filling were for pay at minimum wage as determined by the law. I posted the openings for these jobs through the EDD, in the local newspaper, on supermarket bulletin boards, everywhere I could think that might bring applicants. Hispanics applied for these jobs, not your version of "American youth." If you don't want to believe me, simply go to any employment agency trying to fill the same sort of jobs, and particularly if they are in California or Texas, you will have the same truth confirmed.

Why, might we speculate?

Might be that for a Hispanic working legally in America, that dollar to them and to their family here and back home in Mexico means more and goes further than that dollar does for America's white youth. Ya think?

Old 06-04-2016, 08:54 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
That's true, because the truth is that Trump's Republican rivals fought with both hands tied behind their backs, and that just won't happen with Hillary.

What do I mean? Think about Trump's obvious weaknesses and why Republicans couldn't exploit them, but why Hillary can.

First, he's running a campaign fundamentally based on racism, which most recently exemplified with the "Mexican" federal judge who was born in the U.S. But Republicans couldn't call him out on racism, because more or less veiled appeals to racial resentment have been key to their party's success for decades. Clinton, on the other hand, won the nomination thanks to overwhelming nonwhite support, and will have no trouble hitting hard on this issue.

Second, Trump is proposing wildly irresponsible policies that benefit the rich. But so were all the other Republicans, so they couldn't attack him for that. Clinton can.

Third, Trump's personal record as a businessman is both antisocial and just plain dubious. Republicans, with their cult of the "job creators", couldn't say anything about that. Again, Clinton can.

The G.O.P. paralysis on these issues explains why, again and again, Republicans turned to a proven line of attack -- that is, proven not to work: insisting that Trump isn't a true conservative, which matters to voters not at all. Obviously Democrats will be able to go after that differently and, I imagine, a lot more salient issues.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Perhaps we have a failure to communicate.

Anyone who VIOLATES LAWS in their attempt to "escape poverty" is a CRIMINAL.
All humans may be susceptible to the allure of crime, but that does not make them RIGHT.

People who do not respect the laws of the land, nor speak the language nor have any commonality with the culture, are NOT innocent law abiding immigrants.

They are INVADERS, who intend their posterity inherit YOUR lands, by any means.

And for the record, check Mexico's laws for their reaction to "just folks escaping poverty" that violate THEIR laws. Pretty harsh.
Perhaps, but what "failure" may be the case here is your wanting to couch everything so neat and specific, noticeably dropping the "terrorist" label in the process for obvious reasons.

Fact is, however, when Trump spouts off about these "criminals and terrorists," what he is referring to are rapists, murderers and people who kill innocent people in terrorist fashion, just as he has described the infiltrators among the Syrian refugees. He isn't referring to the "crime" of waiting in the hardware store parking lot with hopes someone will pay some money to help them build a fence or do some landscaping work.

Hello? Testing, one, two..., can you hear me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections