Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 09:28 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times

Advertisements

This Federal District Judge that Donald John Trump is so upset with, I wonder if Don the Con was upset when the judge delayed the trial until after the November elections?

Judge delays Trump University trial - POLITICO

I thought it was rather good of the judge to delay the trial so that it would not be a media circus. It certainly was to the desire of Trump (his lawyers, after all, asked for the delay).

If Trump succeeded in getting the judge to recuse himself (although he has not actually asked the judge to do so), the new judge could, in theory, schedule the trial for this summer. Perhaps that is why Mr. Trump has not filed such a motion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 09:31 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
This Federal District Judge that Donald John Trump is so upset with, I wonder if Don the Con was upset when the judge delayed the trial until after the November elections?

Judge delays Trump University trial - POLITICO

I thought it was rather good of the judge to delay the trial so that it would not be a media circus. It certainly was to the desire of Trump (his lawyers, after all, asked for the delay).

If Trump succeeded in getting the judge to recuse himself (although he has not actually asked the judge to do so), the new judge could, in theory, schedule the trial for this summer. Perhaps that is why Mr. Trump has not filed such a motion.
Mr. Trump's lawyers have not filed such a motion because they could be sanctioned or lose their licenses for filing such an egregious motion. And they know it. They also know their client is an idiot, but hopefully they're charging him a whole lot of money to make it worth their while.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:37 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Good for you, you admit Trump said absolutely nothing about La Raza, nothing about any ties to any ethnic organizations, when he made his initial rant. He based his charges solely on the fact that the judge must be biased because he's a Mexican. And that's exactly the way a bigot talks.

You have just admitted the truth. Well done!
its the same old story for Mr Reality TV.....he puts his clown foot in his mouth, then his underlings scramble for some possible explanation for what Trumpy says. Happen with the NYT reporter with disability (I wasn't mocking him), for the Megyn Kelly bleeding from wherever, David Duke's endorsement (didn't know he was a former member), judge is a Mexican (he meant Hispanic), saw thousands of Muslims partying in the streets of NY after 9/11 (they were there, you press members just didn't notice)......it goes on and on and one.

Damage control with Trump is like those guys in the circus who trail behind the elephant and pick up dung for a living.

http://media.santabanta.com/newsite/...phant-poop.jpg

Old 06-08-2016, 09:39 AM

26,574 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Although I understand there are two separate groups using the name 'La Raza', doesn't anyone else find the name somewhat...
i speak a little spanish but not enough to know the context and etymology. in another thread it was claimed to come from "la raza cósmica", in english "the cosmic race":

"It has come, often in its shortened version "La Raza", to refer to the mixed race people of Latin America, i.e., primarily mestizos, mulattos, and zambos or all three combined."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Raza_Cósmica

Quote:
.... not offensive, exactly, but doesn't it make you wonder about the ideology of anyone who would use it?
not the word i would have chosen but in the context from above i can see how it would work. as far as as their ideology goes here's a link to their site:

San Diego's Latino/Latina Bar Association |

they are a non-political lawyer group whose ideology and purpose seem to be on par with similar groups for irish-american, italian-american, jewish, christian etc

Old 06-08-2016, 09:39 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Let me see if I understand this...

First the admonishment

Then the admission

Sounds as if Bill Clinton wrote this response.
lol

Old 06-08-2016, 09:40 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Trump does his magic act again. He always wins.

You have to love this evil genius.

Appears Judge Gonzalo Curiel May Be the Racist…not Trump | Canada Free Press
Thanks for this thread! It figures that the Canadien press would expose this racist judge while the American press ignores it. Ive gotten to the point where I just completely ignore them. TRUMP 16!!!

Old 06-08-2016, 09:43 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why haven't Trumps attorneys filed a motion to disqualify him?
Because they, unlike Trump's followers, know that it would have a fairly predictable outcome:
  1. The higher court (they have to make the appeal to the higher court who assigned judge Curiel) would tell them to go back to law school, read up on what it takes for a judge to be considered partial, sanction them for frivolous actions not expected from legal professionals (smarter legal terms, but that's the meat of it), remind them that as legal professionals they have a responsibility towards the court system as well as their client and quite possibly inform them that they're not welcome in a San Diego courtroom in the future.
  2. The bar association would receive a copy of the letter. With a strong hint that the bar association has an obligation towards the public, its members and the courts to make sure that only qualified individuals offer legal services.
  3. Their future employment options would dwindle dramatically. And if I were a crewmember on the S/S Trump, I'd be making sure I knew the disembarkation drill right around now.

If you're going to accuse a judge of being impartial, you'd better have a very good, direct, provable, concrete reason, with bearing on the case. Right now it's essentially "He's member of an organization whose homepage has a link to another organization whose members probably don't like Donald Trump", and that's not even related to the case.

Does Trump inspire the sort of loyalty to make people fall on their swords for a futile gesture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Who says they haven't?
That would be a matter of public record.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:45 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Mr. Trump's lawyers have not filed such a motion because they could be sanctioned or lose their licenses for filing such an egregious motion. And they know it. They also know their client is an idiot, but hopefully they're charging him a whole lot of money to make it worth their while.
Well, perhaps you know of some circumstance in which an attorney has been sanctioned or lost their license due to filing a motion to recuse. I have not heard of such. I will say that I do seem to recall a criminal attorney that got in trouble with the court for filing dozens of motions without there being any reasonable grounds for said motions (if I recall the name of the attorney, I will edit; I think he was defending some mobster).

I suspect that, unless Trump's attorneys have been filing such egregious motions with the court, they could, if they wanted to, file a motion to recuse without suffering dire circumstances to themselves.

Indeed, given how Mr. Trump has been carrying on about this Federal District Judge, it strikes me as odd that such a motion to recuse has not been made. If Mr. Trump ultimately loses the case, would he then file some type of complaint against his attorneys for NOT filing a motion to recuse? Or use it as a basis for appeal?

The mind wonders.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:46 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Quote:
Anyone who assumes that someone is biased based solely on his heritage alone is a bigot by definition.
Anyone who advocates based on their heritage alone is a bigot by defintion.
Curiel is a bigot.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:46 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Thanks for this thread! It figures that the Canadien press would expose this racist judge while the American press ignores it. Ive gotten to the point where I just completely ignore them. TRUMP 16!!!
You're aware that CFP is a blog, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections