Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:47 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
After what I wrote, your reply is supposed to pass for convincing debate material?
I'm not here to debate, or to be "right". That is a waste of time. People never admit their opposition is right on here. I'm sure he's done some good things for our nation, but I personally believe he's a con artist that's done more bad. You are entitled to disagree. Sorry for being a wise guy- I'm very passionate in regards to my feelings about this man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 11:51 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,110,898 times
Wait, what is your argument? Presidency is reality TV? Trump better go get George and Caroline.

Mick

Old 06-09-2016, 11:52 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
My first thought was, "Yes, Obama, you had it right. Playing golf and going on vacation is what the Presidency is all about." Although, his constant effort to destroy our country has always been constantly in play. Why he has not been tried for treason against the US, I will never know.
Let me help you out. To be tried for treason he would first have to be charged with treason. To be charged with treason there would first have to be a large body of evidence indicating he's committed a treasonable offense(s). There isn't.

Pretty simple, right?

Old 06-09-2016, 11:58 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Do you have anything of substance? What was the unemployment rate in 2009-2010? What is it now?

How many home foreclosures were there in 2009-2010? How many are there now?

What was the state of the auto industry in 2009-2010? What is it now?

I dare you to look up the numbers and post them here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I'm not here to debate, or to be "right". That is a waste of time. People never admit their opposition is right on here. I'm sure he's done some good things for our nation, but I personally believe he's a con artist that's done more bad. You are entitled to disagree. Sorry for being a wise guy- I'm very passionate in regards to my feelings about this man.
Fair enough. But opinions need to be based on something in order to carry any weight. To say that Obama wrecked the country without anything to back it up doesn't carry any weight. If you can look at the numbers and refute them, that's cool. But to say he's a con artist and has done more good with bad doesn't mean much without some examples.

Look, I'm an Obama supporter and I'm not happy with everything he's done. I'm wary of the Affordable Care Act and don't think it's done all he promised. I don't know how much of that is Obama's fault, but it is his baby. Still, I recognize the need health care reform and I'm hopeful that if Congress ever gets its act together they can modify the ACA to be more affordable to people. I don't think the mandate is Constitutional but the Supreme Court said it was and that's their job.

I think it's too early to say what the long-term effects of his foreign policy will be. Some parts of it look iffy at this point, but I really appreciate the fact that he's trying to get the Middle East players to take more responsibility for the area.

However, I'm really happy that the U.S. avoided another 1929-ish Great Depression and I give Obama a lot of credit for that. I like that he changed his views on same sex marriage and gave legitimacy to that movement. I believe he's concerned about women's economic rights. I could go on and on because I believe the positives outweigh the negatives by far.

If you disagree, that's fine. But isn't it possible to have a discussion without all the hatefulness and hyperbole?

Old 06-09-2016, 12:08 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,852,214 times
Quote:
Fair enough. But opinions need to be based on something in order to carry any weight. To say that Obama wrecked the country without anything to back it up doesn't carry any weight. If you can look at the numbers and refute them, that's cool. But to say he's a con artist and has done more good with bad doesn't mean much without some examples.

Look, I'm an Obama supporter and I'm not happy with everything he's done. I'm wary of the Affordable Care Act and don't think it's done all he promised. I don't know how much of that is Obama's fault, but it is his baby. Still, I recognize the need health care reform and I'm hopeful that if Congress ever gets its act together they can modify the ACA to be more affordable to people. I don't think the mandate is Constitutional but the Supreme Court said it was and that's their job.

I think it's too early to say what the long-term effects of his foreign policy will be. Some parts of it look iffy at this point, but I really appreciate the fact that he's trying to get the Middle East players to take more responsibility for the area.

However, I'm really happy that the U.S. avoided another 1929-ish Great Depression and I give Obama a lot of credit for that. I like that he changed his views on same sex marriage and gave legitimacy to that movement. I believe he's concerned about women's economic rights. I could go on and on because I believe the positives outweigh the negatives by far.

If you disagree, that's fine. But isn't it possible to have a discussion without all the hatefulness and hyperbole?

What are the things that Obama did that you give him credit for that make you believe that the US has avoided another 1929-ish Great Depression?

Old 06-09-2016, 12:11 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,940,856 times
Quote:

On the ACA, the constitutionality of the law has been settled but you are indicating that it's just not a good idea either. This is what you need to know and let's start with what people said they wanted, cover people with pre-existing conditions. How can they be offered affordable insurance if you prohibit insurers from discriminating on the basis of medical history? The answer is community rating, that average the cost accross a community. But if that's all you do, only sicker people will sign up; many will wait until they get sick to buy insurance; and so costs will be high due to a bad risk pool. So non-discrimination must be combined with an individual mandate that requires that everyone get insurance. But what about people who can't afford it? There must be subsidies to lower-income families, so that they can afford insurance

What you end up with, then, is community rating + individual mandate + subsidies, that is Obamacare.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
On the ACA, the constitutionality of the law has been settled but you are indicating that it's just not a good idea either. This is what you need to know and let's start with what people said they wanted, cover people with pre-existing conditions. How can they be offered affordable insurance if you prohibit insurers from discriminating on the basis of medical history? The answer is community rating, that average the cost accross a community. But if that's all you do, only sicker people will sign up; many will wait until they get sick to buy insurance; and so costs will be high due to a bad risk pool. So non-discrimination must be combined with an individual mandate that requires that everyone get insurance. But what about people who can't afford it? There must be subsidies to lower-income families, so that they can afford insurance

What you end up with, then, is community rating + individual mandate + subsidies, that is Obamacare.
I understand how it works and for the most part I'm glad that it was passed. I love that they can't deny you for pre-existing conditions and that lots of well-care visits and tests are covered. I just know several younger people who have told me that it's cheaper for them to pay the penalty than to buy coverage. It still needs some work.

My point is that throwing out opinions without any discussion of why one holds that opinion is worthless.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:19 PM

11,767 posts, read 5,780,104 times
Quote:

And this is what you call discussion - look in the mirror before you call someone else out!

"In other news, "Marlow's Dog Thinks Trump is Full of Poop."

And I bet my dog is a better judge of character than Ann Coulter any day."

Old 06-09-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
What are the things that Obama did that you give him credit for that make you believe that the US has avoided another 1929-ish Great Depression?
Compared to 2009-2010, unemployment is down, the housing market is recovered/recovering and the American auto industry is still functioning.

Are you saying we experienced another Great Depression? I know people suffered but it wasn't anything like the 30's.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
And this is what you call discussion - look in the mirror before you call someone else out!

"In other news, "Marlow's Dog Thinks Trump is Full of Poop."

And I bet my dog is a better judge of character than Ann Coulter any day."
Guilty as charged. But in a thread that starts off citing Ann Coulter as a source, you can't really expect thoughtful commentary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections