Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 12:56 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times

Advertisements

Newsmax seems to be on a roll today...

Does Trump Really Want to Be President?

I don't know how credible this source is, but I have to say the points she makes are very similar to what I've suspected for a long time. I truly believe that Trump started this campaign as yet another stunt, like his short-lived campaign in 2012, but this time it took on a life of its own that not even he expected.

Now, trapped by his ego and the forward momentum he got by fighting against ineffective opponents in the GOP primary, as well as the profound distaste many of us (including me) have for Hillary Clinton, he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. His thin skin and his ego won't let him quit, but he really just wanted some free publicity and self-aggrandizement and never really wanted to be president, nor has he any real idea what he'd do if he actually got elected. He's previously made some statements along the lines of letting his VP run the show. He does seem to me as though he's deliberately trying to run his campaign into the ground. Whether he's trying to throw the election to Clinton or is hoping the GOP will bounce him out at the convention, I can't help but wonder if he isn't looking for an exit strategy that will allow him to play the victim game again, and avoid being a "loser."

Sorry to burst your bubble, Trumpies, but I think one way or another he's going to self-destruct. I just hope he's not in office when it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 01:08 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post

I don't know how credible this source is, but I have to say the points she makes are very similar to what I've suspected for a long time. I truly believe that Trump started this campaign as yet another stunt, like his short-lived campaign in 2012, but this time it took on a life of its own that not even he expected.

Now, trapped by his ego and the forward momentum he got by fighting against ineffective opponents in the GOP primary, as well as the profound distaste many of us (including me) have for Hillary Clinton, he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. His thin skin and his ego won't let him quit, but he really just wanted some free publicity and self-aggrandizement and never really wanted to be president, nor has he any real idea what he'd do if he actually got elected. He's previously made some statements along the lines of letting his VP run the show. He does seem to me as though he's deliberately trying to run his campaign into the ground. Whether he's trying to throw the election to Clinton or is hoping the GOP will bounce him out at the convention, I can't help but wonder if he isn't looking for an exit strategy that will allow him to play the victim game again, and avoid being a "loser."

Sorry to burst your bubble, Trumpies, but I think one way or another he's going to self-destruct. I just hope he's not in office when it happens.
So do you. No one takes Newmax seriously.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:

I have been saying this since last fall; he either is a ploy or he simply decided to add a campaign to his bucket list, expecting to be on his way after a few debates, etc. Low and behold here he is and his ego may stop him from getting out. He certainly doesn't care about saving the party, heck his only party is the Trumplicans or Trumpocrates, whichever!!!!

Old 06-10-2016, 01:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Tell that to the Trump supporters who, a few months ago were positing every positive thing Newsmax had to say about Trump and there were some. I will be honest, I don't believe anything I read on any blog or net website.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I am aren't I?

Old 06-10-2016, 01:53 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
MSNBC guest member Donny Deutsch who is a confidant/friend of Trump conveyed that he thinks Trump will pull out. He asked him in private about being President and said that Trump seemed uncomfortable with the topic and changed the subject. Wish I could pull up the video from today's show. Only in April, Deutsch predicted a win vs Clinton, so this is a turnaround.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:54 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
We have heard this for nearly a year now. It doesn't take a high intellect or particularly active imagination to suggest the idea. Quite the opposite to spend a great deal of time and thought expressing or promoting it.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Tell that to the Trump supporters who, a few months ago were positing every positive thing Newsmax had to say about Trump and there were some. I will be honest, I don't believe anything I read on any blog or net website.
Agreed. In this case, I think it's pretty clear the article I linked to was an opinion, not news, so it really shouldn't matter much what site it came from.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:00 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
"Want"? I'm not sure I would say that he "wants" to be POTUS. Who would "want" to put up with all the abuse that both Trump and Sanders have taken being "outside the box"? I think those two candidates are both alike in more ways than they would ever acknowledge. It is not a matter of "want" but of being patriotic and intelligent individuals that see the error of the ways in our governmental system and both being older, they have decided they want to give something back and leave the country in better shape than the sorry shape it is in right now.

The threats, the violence and, let's face it, too many deaths associated with people that might get in the way of the Clintons, and that is the reality. Maybe that is why so few candidates stepped up and/or stayed in the race.

One incompetent candidate "wants" to be POTUS and it is neither Trump nor Sanders. They see the "need" and have stepped up to see if they have what the people want in a candidate to fill the "need".

Instead of getting gratitude for giving a darn about the direction of our country, they have gotten a lot of nonsense thrown at them just because they were not the "dynasty meant to be" candidates. This election will prove whether or not the position of POTUS is for sale.

"Outside the Box" 2016

Old 06-10-2016, 02:02 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:

I agree with most of what you said, but I don't believe he detests Hillary--he loved her until she was a competitor. He was a very early supporter of her senatorial run in NY.

But I don't think he is having a good time any more. He loved the primaries because he could go out and say whatever he wanted and be as rowdy and rude as he liked while garnering a huge amount of attention and publicity--heaven for him. Phoning in interviews from bed, etc.

After this entire sordid affair with the judge, he's been muzzled, and I cannot imagine he likes it. He is truly under the thumb of Ryan and McConnell or they will pull their support. People all over the GOP are judging him loudly, publicly and on the airwaves. That has to really get to him. Congress members have said they aren't supporting him unless he apologizes, and no way he will do that. He's being questioned all the time--he hates that.

When Warren was speaking last night some pundits commented that he was like a bulldog on a leash and she was taunting him (though I think she was also being honest). But that metaphor is true--he is muzzled on a leash, and the entire Dem team is going to be out there sticking it to him. If he can't respond (in his own words) he will explode. And if he does respond in the usual Trump manner--crude name calling and insults, wild accusations and conspiracy theories, the GOP will simply cut the line, turn their backs and let him drift off on his own. He cannot win on his own and he cannot win if he can't raise enough money or support to fight back effectively. It's a no-win for him.

Everyone is betting on things? I'm betting Trump will be Trump, fly off the handle, hurl insults, and alienate the portion of the GOP that haven't unendorsed him yet, or he'll drop out for 'business' reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections