Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:19 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Interesting article. While I am supporting Obama, as a Republican I am impressed with Mitt Romney's credentials and conservative positions. Of all the candidates running, he was probably the most qualified and experienced to run a government. I believe the only reason he lost the Republican nomination is because he is a Mormon. If he were a southern Baptist, he would have been the nominee hands down. This is a sad testament to the Republican party's deterioration after years of having been corrupted by the influx of southern evangelical wingnuts into the party.

The article correctly notes the fact that Mormons will vote (and have voted) for southern evangelical Republican politicians, but southern evangelicals do not return the favor when a Mormon Republican is the one running for office. This is the kind of religious bigotry that is now pervasive in the Republican party. This Republican party needs to be taught a lesson. It needs to be defeated in November.
100% true.

I am Mormon and have been a Democrat since I was 18 but most of my family is quite conservative and quite Republican. For years now they'd brush off my comments about how I dont know how they could be in a party where most people dont even like them because of their religion. Mormons faithfully vote for the republican by the highest margin of probably any state year in, year out-regardless of the candidate's religion.

I totally predicted Mitt Romney getting his @ss handed to him by the evangelicals. It doesnt take a political guru to see that its just not in their collective nature to support someone a Mormon. My brother lives in Houston and gets called out about the church a lot. Its a damn shame really but I think this was a hard lesson that had to be learned by Mormons. A shame really cause generally we're nice, decent people. Too bad. Anyway, I can sense from my own family that it was a wake up call to them. Many of them say favorable things about Obama now and even, gulp, Hillary. This was unheard of before because they are total Reagan Republicans-hook, line and sinker.

Its no surprise that the democratic party is so broad reaching and so diverse. Despite our differences in opinion there's a level of nconditional, mutual respect that I just dont get from the GOP. I wonder why that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 10:39 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
Quote:
I totally predicted Mitt Romney getting his @ss handed to him by the evangelicals. It doesnt take a political guru to see that its just not in their collective nature to support someone a Mormon. My brother lives in Houston and gets called out about the church a lot. Its a damn shame really but I think this was a hard lesson that had to be learned by Mormons. A shame really cause generally we're nice, decent people. Too bad. Anyway, I can sense from my own family that it was a wake up call to them. Many of them say favorable things about Obama now and even, gulp, Hillary. This was unheard of before because they are total Reagan Republicans-hook, line and sinker.
Good post. What really gets me is the evangelical Republicans pay lip service to the virtues of small government, but when it comes to pushing their religious agenda, they have no qualms about using the power of big government to ram their beliefs down everyone's throats.

It's a shame what happened to Romney. He fit the mold of a conservative on all fronts: on the economy, on national defense, and on social issues. The only problem he really had was he belonged to the wrong religion.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:05 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is highly misinformed and totally incorrect. First of all, that person is not "the" Mormon Leader, but the leader of a small splinter group that is not part of the official Mormon Church.
I stand corrected on both counts (black Mormons and Jeffords) and I apologize to any Mormons who might be offended by my honest lack of knowledge of the Mormon Church and its practices and policies.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:31 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,628 times
i highly doubt many mormans will support obama in november.if huckabee were the nominee it might be a different story.romneys biggest problem was he campaigned and governed one way in massachusetts and swung way right when he ran for the republican nomination.most conservative republicans had problems with all the candidates and didnt unite behind romney until it was too late.by that time half the party was going to mccain and romney and huckabee were splitting the other half.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
My understanding is that blacks are banned from the Mormon church unless they have changed something. But when the FBI arrested the Mormon leader Jim Jeffords I heard them say it was a black FBI agent that arrested him and how ironic it was that the agent would not be allowed into Jefford's church.
jim jeffords is a former senator from vermont.hes the one who quit the republican party and became an independent so the republicans would lose their one vote majority in the senate in the early '90's.hes not a morman much less a morman leader.....i assume you mean warren jeffs,leader of the fundamentalist church of jesus christ of latterday saints,whose members split from the lds about 100 years ago and have no modern connection to the lds church

Old 02-16-2008, 04:11 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
romney certainly took a lot of abuse by the press based on his religion and being forced to discuss his religion incessantly. no other candidate running has had to defend their religion. i don't know whose fault that was, but it is not fair to blame republicans when the liberal press was discussing it all the time and throwing it out there. i could care less what religion any of the candidates are, and furthermore do not even know the religious persuasions of mccain, hillary, or obama. hopefully all of this nonsense will fall away, and the candidates will discuss the serious economic issues facing this country, especially with china breathing down our necks. this is an interesting article:
China tops US in high-tech exports - SciDev.Net

Old 02-16-2008, 04:44 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,683 times
If you vote and use someones religion as your reason to or not to vote then you shouldn't be allowed to vote, your too stupid to seperate it and don't deserve to cast any ballots.
I dont know where people live but blacks and whites, baptist, catholics, morons, methodist, jews etc all get along just fine here until someone starts something like this baloney.
Any black is allowed in my 95% white church any time they want, fact is they come here and we go there to show repsect for each other and to learn each others ways.
It is sad that people allow religion to push there agendas just like Russert said that if Romney would have not been a mormon he would have had it all locked up by now. That is a sad day in this country.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:39 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Jeffords was the leader of the Fundamentalist LDS church. They still believe in polygymy. Maybe his sect of the LDS church wouldn't permit african americans in their churches, but the mainstream LDS church allows african american members into their priesthood.

I honestly am puzzled by the GOP's lack of support for Mitt Romney. He's the posterchild for what the GOP stands for. Married to the same woman for decades, capitalist, against gay marriage, he is anti-abortion right? I don't know, he's certainly to the right of McCain. I think that Huckabee's insinuation that members of the LDS church are not Christians really put a bug in the evangelicals ear and he was done. Maybe someone on the conservative side of things can explain better?

Old 02-16-2008, 06:34 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Jeffords was the leader of the Fundamentalist LDS church. They still believe in polygymy. Maybe his sect of the LDS church wouldn't permit african americans in their churches, but the mainstream LDS church allows african american members into their priesthood.

I honestly am puzzled by the GOP's lack of support for Mitt Romney. He's the posterchild for what the GOP stands for. Married to the same woman for decades, capitalist, against gay marriage, he is anti-abortion right? I don't know, he's certainly to the right of McCain. I think that Huckabee's insinuation that members of the LDS church are not Christians really put a bug in the evangelicals ear and he was done. Maybe someone on the conservative side of things can explain better?
My personal thoughts were those people who didnt go for him because of his faith, they went against him because there is a mass jealousy amoung people who cannot stand someone to have gone from 0 to worth 250 million. People cannot handle someone personally being successful. Its just in those peoples blood.
Same thing about all the whiners about the rich and corporations, they see this and feel they will never be in those shoes and will not allow someone else to if they can help it.
What many do not realize he is had nothing to gain at all from this, a mere 220k per year for being the President when he makes that in a month with just one of his businesses.
Plain and simple people were either jealous of him or allowed his faith to get in the way.
He was our answer out of this mess we are in. Now we are stuck with dumbo, dumb or dumber.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post

no,jeffords was a senator from vermont,and not any type of morman.warren jeffs was the head of the flds which is not connected to the lds and hasnt been for almost 100 years......his big problem is that he wasnt anti gay or anti abortion or pro gun until he started running for president.when he ran for the senate and for governor of massachusetts he was much more to the left then he is now.he also pushed through a mandatory health insurance program in mass.,not much different then what hillary is pushing on a national level.its hard to be taken as a conservative when people can look back only a few years and see how you ran then.the problem this year for conservatives was that all of the candidates had problems with their records.romney never claimed to be a conservative until he ran for president.huckabee really didnt do that well either except in a few southern states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections