Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 06:15 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
How come the GOP congress blocks minimum wage increases?
Because what we need are jobs that pay a living wage like we used to have before the jobs were exported and not just raise wages for jobs, that frankly used to be held by students and others that needed a part-time job. The Dems pander to a specific group of people and also support illegal immigrants who they will use when the minimum wage goes up and even now. Easy when you pay under the table to support a minimum wage that others will pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Or perhaps another way to approach it all that I much prefer.....how about drop the "what will the party do for this/that/the other group" and back to what serves Americans/America best, ALL OF US, regardless of race/sex/religion?

You know, your attitude of dividing everyone into this group by race/religion/sex to me is just as big of a problem. I have this insane view that we are all people/basically want the same thing and the more we divide ourselves into this caucus, that group, with this "special" need(s), is ironically segregation and the definition of racists in my book, putting race first before everything else.

So may I suggest to you....step off the race/self-segregation bus and think more human/we are basically all the same in the end and want the same thing, ie human centric.
Made me think of J F Kennedy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzRg--jhO8g

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Again, the fact that you automatically made the assumption that I support the BLM movement simply because I am black and posted a video that was completely unrelated to my post IS A PART OF THE PROBLEM.

You guys do not "get it". Not only do you not "get it" you don't even "get it" when it is explicitly explained to you. Its the equivalent of saying "Hey why don't you vote for us you stupid n-word".

I NEVER thought that I would say anything like this but maybe Donald Trump is a GOOD thing for the Republican party. He exposes the raw ugliness of the party's racial elitism and its unintelligent snobbery. He shines a bright light on it for ALL to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
but, but, but...what about the two spunky black ladies on Youtube who love Trump and all the Hispanics Trumpettes claim give them thumbs up and high 5s for their Trump shirts everywhere they go?! How can this be?!
You can stand on your soapbox, as those of us who have done any research know, the black race suffers the most if amnesty is granted. Many of the jobs that inner-city blacks have depended on are now taken by illegal immigrants. I am sure you are also aware of the crime rate and the fact that many of the abortion clinics the Dems fight for are situated within the walking distance of neighborhoods with a high concentration of black citizens. I have done the research and linked it in more than once here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You do realize men and women have different needs right?

I want men to stop making rules about women's issues and our bodies.

Also,black have different needs than whites,and straight people have different needs than homosexuals.
When it comes to the issues, no, economy, jobs, security and healthcare.

I have no men making rules about my issues and my body. Never have. If you are in an oppressive relationship, get out. Their are shelters and such that can help you.

I disagree. We, as Americans, have the same needs from the government. Ah, the Democratic strategy, "divided we fall". No thanks, I'll pass and vote for Trump based on "Make America Great For Everyone". You seem to believe that the government should micromanage each race, religion, gender, etc.

Everyone think about the real issues: economy, jobs, security and healthcare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguars010 View Post
why would any black person vote for trump when he has people running around like this guy supporting him.

this guy is the perfect stereotype of your average conservative white male.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 08:08 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The reason Romney lost because many whites voted for Obama because he stood for middle class. Many swing states went Obama and latinos and blacks are a non-factor in those inner states.

Which is why I don't believe minority votes makes a huge difference, the candidate that best represent and addresses the problems of the middle class gets the vote.

The dems do not have majority of the whites in the US so they have to make up ground with minorities. Why do you think both Bernie and Hillary openly states they are willing to get illegals perm status. They want to allow non-citizens the right to vote.

In the US there are 31 Republican governors vs 18 democrat governors. This is a big representation of how the voting demographics has changed and minorities was not a factor to change this stat.

Where's the minority and black vote?? Why are there only 18 democrat governors? Both the senate and house are owned by the Republicans did minorities get them in?
The midterms and the general aren't the same thing though. The voters in midterms tend to be older, whiter, and more conservative. It's true that the minority vote tends to get blown out of proportion a bit in regards to winning an election. I think it will be another 3 election cycles at least before it's pretty much impossible to win without doing good among them. However, they do have a bit more of an impact than you think they do. And this is something I have been saying for months. In order to win with an epically low number of minorities voting for them a candidate has to run up a larger percentage of white voters.

The big issue with numbers is that they are somewhat misleading as well. A lot of people have pointed out that Trump can do badly among Hispanics because they are mostly concentrated in a handful of states that either vote Democratic or Republican reliably and that their turnout rate is also a lot lower than most voters. However, the opposite can be said about white voters, as the NYT article pointed out. Obama got crushed with the white vote but he still won. That's because Romney ran up huge margins in the south and parts of the west. In other more diverse areas it's was a lot closer and that's where Romenys lack of support among minorities killed him.

So Trump could drive out a Ross Perot level of white voters, win 64 percent of them, and still lose. Mainly because the places where his message resonates the most are states that the GOP wins comfortably all the time. States in the northeast and the midwest have more college educated voters who are not that thrilled about Trump. The type of working class voter is different in those states as well. They tend to be less responsive to his message. The places that Trump did the worst were in the midwestern states. Hillary didn't do all that great either but the problem is these are traditional Democratic strongholds. Which means she holds the advantage still even if she isn't viewed all that favorably there.

In order for Trump to win he has to have a broad appeal outside his base to reach out to other voters. That's where his constant divisive statements and lack of desire to work with the GOP is killing him. Saying bombastic statements like "We should ban all muslims" fires up his base, but it doesn't help him win anyone else. Most people want to see the actual strategy that the President intends to lay out.Because they understand something like ISIS is more complex than simply stopping people from entering. How do you stop people from entering that don't list themselves as Muslims for example? What about the people that are U.S. citizens that are inspired by their rhetoric? These are serious issues that a Presidential candidate needs to answer and he is failing in that respect.

He's also not helping himself by thinking that the primary strategy is going to work in the general. He's not spending much money on advertisement and where he is spending money and time is in states that the GOP can't win. Him targeting California would be like Clinton targeting Mississippi. It's just a waste of time because neither of them can win those states. He is doing this while Clinton is spending tons of time and money in swing states. He has a limited amount of time to convince people that he would be a better choice. So far he is failing in that respect. Whether or not he will continue to fail is up in the air.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:19 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
..............Too bad, boys. America's in a lot better shape than it was 8 years back.

...And a lot worse than it was 30 years ago.

Democrats will not be satisfied until they have converted America to the nanny state they dream of. When it happens, they will not like what they have done and will blame it on the Republicans.

It's the way they are.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:06 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And this ^^^^ bigoted attitude is the EXACT reason why Blacks, Hispanics AND Asians continue to NOT vote for Republicans. Why would we want to vote for people who believe these things about us? Its less than smart to insult and alienate the people who could possibly help your party to survive.

I am very moderate and even right leaning on some issues but I will NEVER give my vote to a Republican because they insult me for simply being a black American woman. You hate us. You insult us. And yet you don't understand why we don't vote for you.
Right, reading through threads like this, I can't imagine why a black person wouldn't want to vote Republican.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
They want to stay on the plantation of the democrats.. to get that welfare check and cheese line and obamaphone.. what a life!!
They automatically assume that if you're a person of color (specifically black or Hispanic) and you decide to vote Democrat, it's because you're on welfare and want to keep getting free stuff, 100% of the time.

So pathetic.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:50 AM

4,078 posts, read 2,337,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You can stand on your soapbox, as those of us who have done any research know, the black race suffers the most if amnesty is granted. Many of the jobs that inner-city blacks have depended on are now taken by illegal immigrants. I am sure you are also aware of the crime rate and the fact that many of the abortion clinics the Dems fight for are situated within the walking distance of neighborhoods with a high concentration of black citizens. I have done the research and linked it in more than once here.
You are completely clueless. Do you know the states with the largest number of illegals? California, Arizona and Texas. How many blacks are in those 3 states? I'll give you a clue, hardly any. Nice try though

By the way, please tell us which jobs illegals do that blacks are just dying to. Clean houses? mow lawns and trim trees? Pick fruit in the fields? ( Im sure they'd just LOVE that one right?) Push little ice cream carts around? You're right, Im sure there are so many blacks just dying to do these jobs! lol. You probably live in some state where you've never even seen an illegal immigrant. I live less than 100 miles from the border and see them daily.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:18 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
...........I want men to stop making rules about women's issues and our bodies..........
That would work as long as you are willing to pay for "what you do with your body" with your own money. But all these women who want everyone to stop telling them "what they can or cannot do with their bodies" want someone else to pay for it.

They want someone to pay for their birth control; they want someone else to pay for childbirth; they want someone else to pay for child rearing; they even want someone else to pay for abortions. And if anyone objects, they wail about being told "what to do with their bodies".

Most of us don't really care "what you do with your bodies". We are much more concerned with what a citizen does to her country on issues such as producing fatherless children, producing publicly dependent children, or simply extending her own years of dependence.

Abortion is legal, Sweetie. If you need one, go get it. No one can stop you.
But bring your own checkbook.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:19 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,149,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
You are completely clueless. Do you know the states with the largest number of illegals? California, Arizona and Texas. How many blacks are in those 3 states? I'll give you a clue, hardly any. Nice try though

By the way, please tell us which jobs illegals do that blacks are just dying to. Clean houses? mow lawns and trim trees? Pick fruit in the fields? ( Im sure they'd just LOVE that one right?) Push little ice cream carts around? You're right, Im sure there are so many blacks just dying to do these jobs! lol. You probably live in some state where you've never even seen an illegal immigrant. I live less than 100 miles from the border and see them daily.
Last I checked unemployed whites are not doing or taking those jobs either. Regardless of race there are certain jobs neither blacks or whites will do. So what's your point?

Old 06-17-2016, 11:21 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
They want to stay on the plantation of the democrats.. to get that welfare check and cheese line and obamaphone.. what a life!!
People who say these things are the reason the GOP (1) has lost the last two elections; (2) is poised to lose this election; (3) will likely lose in 2020 and probably 2024; and (4) is coming apart at the seems.

Taratova, I know you don't see it, but it's the absolute truth.

For what it's worth, my husband and I are lifelong progressives and almost always vote Democrat. We're white, 40's-50's, employed and have never taken a dime of public benefits. Your (collective) lack of understanding of basic issues facing America has doomed your party.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:21 AM

39,074 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Someone who is starving/near death and now is only anorexic/just surviving can be considered "alot better shape".....and someone who scores a 41% on test and now scores a 56% out of 100% might be called "doing a lot better" even though both are still in the "F" grade range so sure, have fun with the "best of the worst" comparison to make your party look good.

Now on to reality....most of the citizens think our country is on the wrong track/going in the wrong direction:

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Direction of Country
I'm too lazy to look it up but wonder if there ever was a time when people said "right path". Maybe when Bush was tough-talking after 9/11 or for a week or so after an election. I don't think it is very useful to look at the headline number. One needs to focus on the trend. Same with the congressional approval. Have we ever approved of the congress except on election day when we send them all back to their seats?

Old 06-17-2016, 11:26 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Interesting that he's even less favorably viewed by blacks than Hispanics.

Turnout for nonwhite voters will be a key strategy for Hillary. She can flip states like NC and AZ, I'd wager. Trump can't win with numbers like the ones cited in the OP if turnout is decent enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections