Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 12:11 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,701,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Clinton is much SMARTER than Trump, that's for sure.
That doesn't contradict what I said: trickier and more sinister. Smarter to know how to serve herself, how to disappear enemies, how to fool the x% on the lower social/economic spectrum into joining the top 0.1% to support her, and, of course, to lie smoothly. Cunniness isn't a desirable quality in politics. We need honesty and integrity.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:39 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
I had a really interesting conversation today, and it gave me a glimpse into the mindset of a Trump supporter. A guy came into work that occasionally works with us as a part timer. I like him, nice guy. Somehow, we got on the subject of Trump, and I said "The guy is an idiot." That was all it took, he started ranting and raving about how Trump is going to get in there and fire EVERYONE and start over with a clean slate.

I was curious, and asked him what he saw in Trump, and there was nothing specific, just that Trump was smart because he is rich (he said no one gave him that money, he earned it) and that he is not part of the Washington game and is outside all of that corruption.

When I questioned him about some of the dumb things Trump says, like we should kill the families of ISIS, he said "That is not what he said, he said if they are hiding behind their families we should kill them to get to the ISIS guy ." I told him to listen to the proof on tape, and he insisted it was taken out of context.

Then I said "One thing I don't understand is how people are down on Obama, because we are much better off than 8 years ago !" Again, he went into a tirade saying "What do you mean, Obama has ruined this country.......we have no jobs, our economy is horrible, he kisses the enemies butt, etc, etc !

He was so far off the deep end and angry that I finally wrapped up the conversation by saying "Well, you might as well stay home on November 2nd, because my vote is going to cancel out yours."

There are some really angry people out there who would not listen to any reason if it jumped up and bit them in the ass.

Don

Old 06-19-2016, 07:03 PM

23,961 posts, read 15,066,841 times
He probably never heard off the Hatch Act either. How's Trump going to fire nobody.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:08 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I had a really interesting conversation today, and it gave me a glimpse into the mindset of a Trump supporter. A guy came into work that occasionally works with us as a part timer. I like him, nice guy. Somehow, we got on the subject of Trump, and I said "The guy is an idiot." That was all it took, he started ranting and raving about how Trump is going to get in there and fire EVERYONE and start over with a clean slate.

I was curious, and asked him what he saw in Trump, and there was nothing specific, just that Trump was smart because he is rich (he said no one gave him that money, he earned it) and that he is not part of the Washington game and is outside all of that corruption.

When I questioned him about some of the dumb things Trump says, like we should kill the families of ISIS, he said "That is not what he said, he said if they are hiding behind their families we should kill them to get to the ISIS guy ." I told him to listen to the proof on tape, and he insisted it was taken out of context.

Then I said "One thing I don't understand is how people are down on Obama, because we are much better off than 8 years ago !" Again, he went into a tirade saying "What do you mean, Obama has ruined this country.......we have no jobs, our economy is horrible, he kisses the enemies butt, etc, etc !

He was so far off the deep end and angry that I finally wrapped up the conversation by saying "Well, you might as well stay home on November 2nd, because my vote is going to cancel out yours."

There are some really angry people out there who would not listen to any reason if it jumped up and bit them in the ass.

Don
We're not better off than we were 8 years ago -- that's the point. Under Obama, the national debt has increased over $8T and it could be closer to $9T by the time he leaves office. He's the only President not to see a single year of 3% GDP growth and there are 94.7 million people not in the labor force (up more than 14 million since Obama was sworn in). Add to the fact that there have been more terror attacks, we are forced under penalty of IRS to purchase health insurance, and all the rest....

The most recent GDP figure was 0.5% and last month's jobs report was + 38K (mainly part-time),

The lack of reason is used by those who support Obama not oppose him.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:19 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,701,274 times
If for whatever reason Clinton is out of the race and Bernie is the likely candidate in GE, would the OP post another thread titled, "Renewed respect for Bernie"?

Old 06-19-2016, 11:21 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
She does it with strength and dignity
She defended the rapist of a 12 year old girl and then laughed about it....she has no dignity.

She lied to the families of 4 dead Americans while standing near their caskets....she has no dignity.

She claims to be supportive of women.....yet she isn't supportive of the victims of her sexual predator husband (whom she wouldn't dare divorce because she would have faded into obscurity and would have zero chance of being POTUS)......she has no dignity.

She accepts donations to her foundation from entities whose leaders severly restrict womens rights and kill gay people.....she has no dignity.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:08 AM

21,463 posts, read 10,564,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
I thought you have always been a Trump supporter. It seems recently that you are going in a complete opposite direction. I'm confused.
I think it's sarcasm.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:41 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,619,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Trump has shown he is a lot more corrupt than Hillary. Can you imagone Hillary running a University scam that stole from students??? Heck no..it would never happen. Trump is surrounded by corruption.

Hillary has shown for 25 years she get things done. She's a difference maker. Trump has proven he never gets anything done. He's not a finisher, and he's a below average businessman.
Hmmm..hate to burst your bubble:

Students claim ‘Clinton U’ is a scam!

Quote:
NEW YORK – A victim of Laureate Education, the Clinton-backed, for-profit college, has come forward with accusations that its Walden University Online is a scam that piles tens of thousands of dollars of debt on unsuspecting students while unreasonably delaying degrees or often failing to deliver them.
Read more at Students claim ‘Clinton U’ is a scam
I need to fix your last statement, you seem to have gotten it backwards

Trump has shown for 25 years he gets things done. He is a difference maker. Hillary has proven she never gets anything done. she's not a finisher, and she a below average politician.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:36 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,643,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Quote:
I recognize some of people's anger -- but that anger is misguided. Democrats have historically and most recently been the force to reverse the inequality that Republicans have brought since the Reagan Revolution, when taxes were first cut on the rich and paid by slashing the social safety net.
I agree that once that was the case. Most recently. No. What we have seen it the two parties dance at the donor's ball. Under both parties the income gap has grown. The middle class has shrunk. Just the facts.

Quote:
What people don't realize is that even though President Obama spent much of his two terms with Republicans ruling Congress, his administration has done much more than most people realize to fight extreme economic inequality. That fight will continue if Hillary Clinton wins the election; it will go into sharp reverse if Mr. Trump wins.
The president rules the executive branch and is supposed to work with congress. Each who point blame at the other. Therefore he has failed to be effective.

He is also a failure in reducing the income gap, wealth gap. It continues up with no real effort on his part to address it. That's one thing Bernie accurately pointed out quite well. Here is a link proving his failure :

Introduction

Income inequality in the U.S. by state, metropolitan area, and county | Economic Policy Institute

Quote:
Just last month, the Obama administration issued new guidelines on overtime pay, which will benefit an estimated 12.5 million workers.
Quote:
Policy can limit inequality in two ways. 1) engaging in redistribution -- taxing high incomes and aiding families with lower incomes, or 2) predistribution -- strengthening the bargaining power of lower-paid workers and limiting the opportunities for a handful of people to make giant sums. In practice, governments that succeed in limiting inequality generally do both.

In past generations, pro-labor policies led to a striking expansion of unions, which, along with the establishment of a fairly high minimum wage, helped raise wages, especially at the bottom. On the other side, taxes on the wealthy went up sharply, while major programs like Social Security aided working families.

We can also see this in Europe. Among advanced countries, the U.S. has the highest level of inequality, Denmark the lowest. How does Denmark do it? Partly with higher taxes and bigger social programs, but it starts with lower inequality in market incomes, thanks in large part to high minimum wages and a labor movement representing two-thirds of workers.

Now, America isn't about to become Denmark, and Mr. Obama, facing relentless opposition in Congress, has never been in a position to repeat the New Deal. (Even F.D.R. made limited headway against inequality until World War II gave the government unusual influence over the economy.) But more has happened than you might think.

Most obviously, Obamacare provides aid and subsidies mainly to lower-income working Americans, and it pays for that aid partly with higher taxes at the top. That makes it an important redistributionist policy -- the biggest such policy since the 1960s.

And between those extra Obamacare taxes and the expiration of the high-end Bush tax cuts made possible by Mr. Obama’s re-election, the average federal tax rate on the top 1 percent has risen quite a lot. In fact, it’s roughly back to what it was in 1979, pre-Ronald Reagan, something nobody seems to know.

What about predistribution? Well, why is Mr. Trump, like everyone in the G.O.P., so eager to repeal financial reform? Because despite what you may have heard about its ineffectuality, Dodd-Frank actually has put a substantial crimp in the ability of Wall Street to make money hand over fist. It doesn't go far enough, but it’s significant enough to have bankers howling, which is a good sign.
Quote:
And while the move on overtime comes late in the game, it's a pretty big deal, and could be the beginning of much broader action.
Obama is doing what they all do in the last year in office. Throwing supporters a bone. Can't say he didn't do anything. Right. It might help get the democrat elected. Seven years of getting the bone and this wipes out the memory.

Quote:
Again, nothing Mr. Obama has done will put more than a modest dent in American inequality. But his actions aren't trivial, either -- but they are opposite of what Mr. Trump said he will do.
They aren't trivial to those effected but it's stretching to say it's even modest. IMO

Quote:
And even these medium-size steps put the lie to the pessimism and fatalism one hears all too often on this subject. No, America isn't an oligarchy in which both parties reliably serve the interests of the economic elite. Money talks on both sides of the aisle, but the influence of big donors hasn't prevented Pres. Obama from doing a substantial amount to narrow income gaps -- and he would have done much more if he'd faced less opposition in Congress.
Disagree both parties do the donor dance like puppets. Lobbyist write the legislation. Politicians spend most of there time raising money for the next election. They are professional campaigners and fund raisers with a part time job arguing and passing the legislation that they exempt themselves from.

Quote:
And in this as in so much else, it matters hugely whom the nation chooses as his successor. Mrs. Clinton will continue the Obama progress while Mr. Trump's stated policies all benefit the top elite and make the problems in the quoted post above, worse.
Agreed, it makes a difference more than ever this election. To sum it up Obama is a failure on the issue you addresses most. Here's why :

We need policies that return the economy to full employment, return bargaining power to U.S. workers, and reinstate the cultural taboo on allowing CEOs and financial-sector executives at the commanding heights of the private economy to appropriate more than their fair share of the nation’s expanding economic pie.

Obama hasn't done this and hasn't made it a priority either or if he did he failed.

So now, remember what the thread is about.

New respect for Hillary Clinton.

You did mention her two times but still haven't addressed # 5 of my post. I'll post it again so you can answer it in the next comment.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:43 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,643,154 times
Hillary says we can't have a secure border or enforce our laws because if we did that, it would rip apart families. The families that are being ripped apart are the families of those being killed by having an open border. No one should be allowed to run for president who isn't willing to protect American family's. If you can't stand up and say I will enforce the laws made to protect American families you are running for the wrong job. Hillary also wants to increase the Syrian refugees which ISIS says they will infiltrate with war fighters.

Hillary tells us this is the compassionate thing to do. The truth is, "compassionate" would be to use the money that brings them here, to protect them in the M.E. For the same amount of money she could help ten times more refugees by doing that. That would be the logical and compassionate thing to do. By the time you bring one here. Spend for all their needs. You could help ten more by protecting them in their own region of the world where they want to be and not put American families at risk. Hillary is denying support for tens of thousands refugees who could be helped for her own corrupt agenda. When it comes to compassion where do the American citizens find it. Not with Hillary. None left over for them. We are looked at like a child's piggy bank and robbed at will to pay for it all. We need to support our American families first. We are broke the piggy bank is empty. She has to raise taxes to pay for it.

The social contract that make any country work is the people that go to work everyday support their families, follow the rules, you do your civic duty and in return your government puts you first. When a country looses that social contract it is exactly what we have now. A country being rip apart by division. Division promoted by Obama that will continue with Hillary and her policy's, which are little different.

I'm not interested in turning America into Hillary's personal bank account or her personal wealth management fund. I'm interest in a country that is interested in me, enriching me, protecting me, my family, my future and ambitions. Each of us as American citizens taking care of each other. Supporting each other and placing value on each other. It doesn't include bring in people who don't share our values. Among them being ones who want to harm us because of our values. How is America better by bring in those who reject our values of open society and constitutional laws that govern us ? Who have hatred in their hearts for our people and our way of life. That doesn't make us better.

Hillary Clinton is a career criminal. Assisted by Bill with pay to play and one corrupt deal after another. Selling 20% of uranium assets to Russia while Russia is funneling Millions to the Clinton foundation. Sweet deals to Saudi Arabia and China who give millions to their foundation. Money to Bill get favors from Hill. Crime syndicate's of the past, and ones that exist now, would be envious of what Bill and Hillary have been able to pull off. The sophistication, scale, scope, and money involved is tens of millions of dollars which have cut out millions of Americans from the work force, driven down wages and jeopardized national security, disgustingly shocking to the imagination.
If this election is on morality, decency, and integrity Hillary loses by a landslideWhy is the media not putting pressure on Hillary to explain why Bill was taking money from people or interests that were under State Dept. REVIEW ?

Hillary has supported not only NAFTA but every trade deal that has been passed and destroyed jobs. If she gets elected she will support TPP too. The only reason she didn't. It's not popular when running against Bernie or Trump. Take whatever position is popular until she gets elected. That's who she is. . People will say Trump did this, or Trump did that, but what Trump didn't do is sell out the American people or the country. Trust her, are you kidding ?
Hillary is going to regulate every industry and company out of existence except those that line her pocket. Elect Hillary and let the suffering begin. Bought by anybody, she don't consider you.

And last of all Hillary is an open border globalist and I will never vote for one of them. Those are the kind of politicians that are trying to destroy America from within the same way Rome was destroyed. From within.

Last edited by phma; 06-20-2016 at 03:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections