Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 08:10 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I have no idea of this guy's qualifications. It takes more than being an "outsider" to run a nation - even Iceland. In our own case, our "outsider" is not only unqualified, what few plans he does have would be disastrous to our economy and destructive to national unity and security if they were ever implemented.
The scare tactics are no longer working. Like in the U.K. people are willing to vote for the unknown over the known.

Maybe his policies will be bad. Our current ones are bad for a large majority of the country.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:44 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
You applaud a candidate you know nothing about. Sort of reminds me of news today that millions of people who voted for Brexit are unhappy because the weren't sure exactly what EU is.

People are already regretting voting to leave in the EU Referendum | Metro News
Proving that the propaganda arm of MSM has a long reach and is effective where independent thought is stifled or absent.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:46 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I have no idea of this guy's qualifications. It takes more than being an "outsider" to run a nation - even Iceland. In our own case, our "outsider" is not only unqualified, what few plans he does have would be disastrous to our economy and destructive to national unity and security if they were ever implemented.
very well stated

Old 06-26-2016, 08:58 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
^^^^^^^^^Kool-Aid works ^^^^^^ Doing what is right for a country can only be done by someone who has been in politics for a lifetime doing what is wrong. That's how we get change. Laughable yet that is the Kool-Aid.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:07 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
I don't see how one can point to a country such as Iceland (population 330,000) as analogous to the US. One could also point to other country's elections as indicators of trends.

France rejected the nationalist party recently and Canada just voted in a massively liberal leader. I think the political trends of Iceland are irrelevant to this country, if that is what the point is supposed to be.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:46 AM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
Iceland had the same president for 20 years.If he had run again at the onset he would have won again.At one point 20+ people were competing for the job,the incumbent decided to run again afterall ,and then he withdrew again.In the end it was a nine way race.

Iceland doesn't have a government structure like ours.They have a president but they also have a prime minister and the prime minister has more power.Their parliament has a number of parties,the upstart 'pirate party' being one of the more 'interesting' to be found anywhere in the world.Iceland has long done things differently than other places.....little that happens there has any relation to whats going on anywhere else on the planet.It is an interesting place.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:43 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
After Brexit Vote, Britain Googles 'What Is The EU?' : All Tech Considered : NPR

Like Americans voting for Trump, these Brits didn't know what the **** the were voting for......now I hope they're happy living in yet another recession.
You really believe every word the media is telling you.

Many people are very well informed but they are now called..uninformed and lower class or lower schooled people just because others are not agreeing.
Google which is a left wing search engine company can tell us whatever people are searching for but they fail to tell you that they will block searches for people who have other thoughts than they do or they will be put down the line so they can hardly be found.

Media biased... just stop believing all the pundits and mainstream media... Watch a movie or spend time with your family instead of listening to their lies.

One thing they have not been called "yet" is being a "racist" like many want to make out anyone voting for Trump.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:08 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
You applaud a candidate you know nothing about. Sort of reminds me of news today that millions of people who voted for Brexit are unhappy because the weren't sure exactly what EU is.

People are already regretting voting to leave in the EU Referendum | Metro News
People may say they are regretting it because it is supposed to be an "uneducated" position. I happen to think that making fundamental changes to a democracy and consulting no one is a very bad idea. You can say that Parliament was consulted but since in a majority government the vote is "whipped" that's not consultation at all. And in Britain all governments in modern times have been majority governments except a period during approximately 1994 and Cameron's first mandate, which was a coalition.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:10 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Iceland?
Is that even like a thing? Like do they even count?
Does anybody even care about Iceland other than people that live there?
It's like when Rhode Island makes news people are like what? Who?
Iceland is actually the world's oldest continuously functioning parliamentary system, going back to the establishment of the Althing at Thingvalier (sp) in the 900's.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:14 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've said for years that we have term limits. Let's just hope that the people exercise that.
Term limits can be the worst thing in the world. It encourages people to get elected and then not do anything (because they can't get elected again). If, by some terrific chance, you get someone really great in office, they have to leave just when they are getting things done.

I would never vote for term limits again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections