Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 11:54 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,345 times

Advertisements

This election season is one of the strangest in recent memory. The electorate is fragmented, and the political parties are in disarray. Many of the candidates of both parties have crossover appeal. There's going to be a massive reshuffling of political alliances come election day. Example, we have Ann Coulter saying she would rather vote for Hillary Clinton than John McCain. McCain himself attracts many pro-war conservative Democrats (think Joe Lieberman) who can't see themselves supporting Obama or Clinton. As a Republican myself, I've decided to vote for Obama if he becomes the Dem nominee. If Hillary is the nominee, then I'll vote for McCain. Other Republicans have made a similar decision. See this:

When Republicans Endorse Obama | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 12:19 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
This election season is one of the strangest in recent memory. The electorate is fragmented, and the political parties are in disarray. Many of the candidates of both parties have crossover appeal. There's going to be a massive reshuffling of political alliances come election day. Example, we have Ann Coulter saying she would rather vote for Hillary Clinton than John McCain. McCain himself attracts many pro-war conservative Democrats (think Joe Lieberman) who can't see themselves supporting Obama or Clinton. As a Republican myself, I've decided to vote for Obama if he becomes the Dem nominee. If Hillary is the nominee, then I'll vote for McCain. Other Republicans have made a similar decision. See this:

When Republicans Endorse Obama | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com
This is an interesting aspect of the election I agree. I will vote for Obama and I applaud you for being among the enlightened to do likewise. However, for the first time in my life, I am considering voting for the Republican candidate if Hillary is the nominee on the Democratic side. I don't believe in her at all and I have absolutely no respect for the Clintons. Times have changed.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:21 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
Quote:

Right now, I'm for Obama, just to keep Hillary out. I'll take anybody over her. Come November, I'm not sure yet. I've always voted Republican, but I'm having my doubts that my top Republican choices will make it that far.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:49 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Well I find this all very suspect or just downright ignorant....NPR: Obama Ranked Most Liberal Senator in 2007 (http://www.npr.org/blogs/news/2008/01/obama_ranked_most_liberal_sena_1.html - broken link) The question would be if you are voting for Obama , why are you a Republican?

Old 02-02-2008, 12:59 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well I find this all very suspect or just downright ignorant....NPR: Obama Ranked Most Liberal Senator in 2007 (http://www.npr.org/blogs/news/2008/01/obama_ranked_most_liberal_sena_1.html - broken link) The question would be if you are voting for Obama , why are you a Republican?
Well there are a fair number of anti-war, small foreign policy Republicans out there, not to mention the fiscal conservatives who want hurl their lunch up at the thought of McCain.

With McCain's statements like calling Vietnamese people g00ks, or stating that he does not care if it takes forever to get Iraq the way he thinks it should be, or the fact that he looked like he was having a diabetic seizure when Ron Paul asked him his views on the plunge protection team.

There seems to be a fair number of Republicans who feel that since the party no longer represents traditional conservatism, then better to get behind someone claiming to be a uniter instead of a mumbling hot head. Such is life for the GOP right now.

To be frank, it is the best possible thing that could happen to the GOP is to lick their wounds and prepare for 2012 with a renewed sense of itself.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:12 PM

383 posts, read 722,728 times
At least we know republicans won't vote for john mccain

Old 02-02-2008, 01:50 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,345 times
Quote:
Well I find this all very suspect or just downright ignorant....NPR: Obama Ranked Most Liberal Senator in 2007 The question would be if you are voting for Obama , why are you a Republican?
How different is Obama's liberalism (and by that I mean big government liberal nannyism) from George Bush's big government conservative nannyism? I mean, do you even remember the Terry Schiavo case? Bush used the power of big government to intrude into the private lives and decisions of a distraught family. He pressured his henchmen in Congress to make a special law to prolong the suffering of this unfortunate woman. That's what really ticked me off with this Republican party. That was very unconservative of Bush (aided and abetted by the Christian evangelical nutjobs in the party) to override the dying wish of Terry Schiavo. I was sickened by that brazen display of Republican nannyism. As a result of that, I boycotted the election in 2006. Many of my Republican friends did the same thing. That's how the Dems won back the Congress.

Obama as I understand his positions can do no worse than George Bush. Think about it. From 2000 to 2006, the Republicans controlled the White House and Congress, and instead of the government shrinking as the GOP promised, there has been a massive increase in the size of government. Compared to that, Obama is a breath of fresh air. Yes, voting for Obama is voting against my economic interest. Modesty aside, I'm in the 35% tax bracket, so I'll probably see an increase in my taxes with Obama in the White House. But I'd rather have someone who states his plan outright than someone who pretends to be a small government conservative but then engineers the expansion of government power. We despise hypocrites.

Did you ever wonder why Obama draws a lot of support among the affluent crowd? Exit poll after exit poll shows that Obama's supporters are young and affluent (Clinton's are older and poorer). I have a hunch that this demographic characteristic of Obama supporters are current and former Republicans who are so pissed off with George Bush that they are ready to embrace the change message of Barack Obama. It helps that Obama has nice things to say about Ronald Reagan. As a Reaganite myself, Obama hits all the right notes for my demographic group.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:54 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,322 times
The political-party paradigms have been largely broken up over the past 15 years.

It happened in the 1860's, it happened again at the turn of the century, it happened in the 1960's and its happening now.

I really can't see how a person who generally ascribes to Republican ideals could vote for Obama, nor how a person who ascribes to generally democratic ideals could vote for McCain- not on principle, anyway. I think we've hit a point where we're so sick of politics as usual that we're willing to forgo a little philosophy in favor of people who have shown a willingness to "be their own person".

Old 02-02-2008, 02:01 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
Quote:
Modesty aside, I'm in the 35% tax bracket, so I'll probably see an increase in my taxes with Obama in the White House.
You'll probably see a tax hike no matter who gets in. This country is in terrible financial condition right now. It's sad but true.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:53 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
How different is Obama's liberalism (and by that I mean big government liberal nannyism) from George Bush's big government conservative nannyism?
Conservatives don't believe in big government. That's one example of Bush not being a true conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections