Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you going to vote for a third-party or write-in?
Yes 25 51.02%
No 24 48.98%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:11 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Yep. The corrupted people are not the politicians. The corrupted people are those who vote for them for their own gains. History repeats.
So a third party is incorruptible? Okey, dokey. You win the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 10:33 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
So a third party is incorruptible? Okey, dokey. You win the internet.
The third party is not corrupted. Not yet. But it will be.

Vote them in and in 50 years they will act just like Repubs and Dems. The (R)'s and (D)'s are so out of control and so self serving that they have no way of serving America's interests.

Make the (R) party the third party or make the (D) party the third party and they will gradually learn to behave themselves. But it will take a 50 year spanking to do it. Then they may be worthy of high position again. But not now.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:47 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The third party is not corrupted. Not yet. But it will be.

Vote them in and in 50 years they will act just like Repubs and Dems. The (R)'s and (D)'s are so out of control and so self serving that they have no way of serving America's interests.

Make the (R) party the third party or make the (D) party the third party and they will gradually learn to behave themselves. But it will take a 50 year spanking to do it. Then they may be worthy of high position again. But not now.
Corruption starts with the electorate that knowingly votes for corruption.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:52 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Corruption starts with the electorate that knowingly votes for corruption.
I think it is more accurate to say that all bureaucracies become corrupt as they become older and establish a hierarchy. After several generations, there is no stopping them - the Old Guard is in charge. Like The Kennedy, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, clans.

Election of a third party puts a stop to all that.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:55 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I normally vote for the GOP candidate but this year I will vote for Gary Johnson. I think he is a bit more 'in line' with most Americans than either Trump or Hillary.
Well until he quit smoking pot. Then we all went "to heck with him, I'm voting major party".

Old 07-01-2016, 03:24 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Well until he quit smoking pot. Then we all went "to heck with him, I'm voting major party".
I find it humorous that Gary Johnson gets chastised for his admission to Marijuana use in the past, yet Americans had no problem with pot smokers such as Barack Obama, John Kerry, Andrew Cuomo, John Kasich, Rick Santorum or Bill Clinton. Hell, the 43rd President of the United States was a reformed cocaine addict!

I think Johnson has proven he has good judgement. He served as a successful Governor of New Mexico for 8 years without touching a drop of alcohol or using any drugs at all. He was an entrepreneur straight out of high school who built a one man handyman business into the largest construction company in his state. If Gary wants to use weed recreationally in the privacy of his own home, during his free time, who cares? He doesn't do it anymore. He promised he won't do it as president or during the campaign. Any rational adult would be able to look at him based on what position he takes on the issues, rather than what he does to relax at home, when half of their favorite politicians probably drink themselves to sleep every night.

Grow up.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:09 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
I find it humorous that Gary Johnson gets chastised for his admission to Marijuana use in the past, yet Americans had no problem with pot smokers such as Barack Obama, John Kerry, Andrew Cuomo, John Kasich, Rick Santorum or Bill Clinton. Hell, the 43rd President of the United States was a reformed cocaine addict!

I think Johnson has proven he has good judgement. He served as a successful Governor of New Mexico for 8 years without touching a drop of alcohol or using any drugs at all. He was an entrepreneur straight out of high school who built a one man handyman business into the largest construction company in his state. If Gary wants to use weed recreationally in the privacy of his own home, during his free time, who cares? He doesn't do it anymore. He promised he won't do it as president or during the campaign. Any rational adult would be able to look at him based on what position he takes on the issues, rather than what he does to relax at home, when half of their favorite politicians probably drink themselves to sleep every night.

Grow up.
I think it could easily be argued that Johnson has greater self-control then either Clinton or Trump, and perhaps the last handful of presidents. I only lean libertarian, but I believe Marijuana should be legal just like alcohol.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:12 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Believe me, I would like to vote third party but living in a swing state and wanting Hillary as President about as much as I wanted Barry as President, I must vote for Trump. At least there's a chance he'll nominate good Supreme Court judges, and will allow the border patrol agents to do their jobs properly. Not so sure he's serious about fulfilling all of his campaign promises, but he's the only real option to Clinton at this point. The electorate has disappointed me once again giving us those two as our final choices. Which leads me to believe they'll elect Clinton. Barf.

And Trump reportedly considering either Gingrich or Christie as his running mate isn't sweetening the deal, imho. If he could talk Cruz into accepting the VP slot, he might have a chance. Otherwise, I believe he gets beat in November.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:49 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
They just are. There higher one gets in the political Establishment chain the more corrupt you are willing to be. The Elite are not interested in anyone that can't be bought. Clinton was paid $153 Million.
Only in some alternative universe. Local and state politics are rife with corruption. If you think otherwise, you obviously don't pay much attention to local politics.

Furthermore, accepting campaign contributions, even large ones, in and of itself is not corrupt. What's corrupt is allowing the interests of campaign contributors -- or the politician's own personal interests -- to influence how a politician votes or what stands he/she takes. Sometimes, it's a chicken-and-egg situation: individuals or groups contribute to a candidate because of the issues he or she supports not vice versa. A farm state Congressman who receives significant contributions from agribusiness firms is not necessarily "bought" by Monsanto; it may be that 60 or 70% of the people in his/her district depend upon commercial agriculture for their livelihoods or support it, so why would he/she not vote for laws/programs favoring commercial agriculture? And why would agribusiness firms not contribute to his/her campaign?

Old 07-02-2016, 06:51 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Only in some alternative universe. Local and state politics are rife with corruption. If you think otherwise, you obviously don't pay much attention to local politics much.

Furthermore, accepting campaign contributions, even large ones, in and of itself is not corrupt. What's corrupt is allowing the interests of campaign contributors -- or the politician's own personal interests -- to influence how a politician votes or what stands he/she takes. Sometimes, it's a chicken-and-egg situation: individuals or groups contribute to a candidate because of the issues he or she supports not vice versa. A farm state Congressman who receives significant contributions from agribusiness firms is not necessarily "bought" by Monsanto; it may be that 60 or 70% of the people in his/her district depend upon commercial agriculture for their livelihoods or support it, so why would he/she not vote for laws/programs favoring commercial agriculture? And why would agribusiness firms not contribute to his/her campaign?
Just keep telling yourself stories. Hope it makes you feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections