U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 07:58 AM

7,074 posts, read 2,514,979 times

Advertisements

Sort of election related. From Steve Shale's blog, 15 tidbits from the 2015 census data released on Florida:

Quote:
Here are the fifteen quick notes I put on twitter today about the new census data. More coming on all this soon:

1/2015 census estimates out today. Some really interesting things in Florida. First, population up almost 1.5 million to just over 20.7 m

2/Florida is growing at a slighlty slower rate than 2000-10, but is adding more people. We will push 22 million by 2020.

3/Big Picture, Florida is getting really diverse, really quickly.

4/Tampa and Miami media markets almost exact same population - both roughly 23% of state. Orlando growing faster though, now 20%.

5/Hispanics make up 51.1% of the population growth. Non-Hispanic whites made up 19.4%

6/Another way to look at: in 5 years, FL Hispanic population grew 14.9%. Non-Hispanic Black 8.9%, Non-Hispanic White 2.5%

7/In 5 years, Hispanics have grown from 22.5 to 24.% of population. Non-Hispanic white dropped from 58.0% to 55.3%.

8/At current pace, Hispanics will be close to about over 26% of population at next census, or 5.7m of statewide 21.7m residents. Compare this to 18% in 2000.

9/Miami (which includes Broward) media market is now majority Hispanic. Three biggest markets for Hispanic growth: Miami, Orlando, and Tampa.

10/[b]In fact, there are almost more new Hispanics just in the Orlando market than there are new people of all races across all of I-10.

11/Hispanic growth faster on I-4 than Miami. Hispanic grew 18.6% on I-4, 11.6% in SE Fl.

12/In fact, over 47% of the population growth on I-4 can be attributed to Hispanics.

13/Counties where the Hispanic share of the population growing fastest: Osceola, Broward, Orange, Polk and St. Lucie Counties.

14This all lines up almost exactly with voter reg change. Since 2008, Hispanics make up 53.% of voter registration growth.

15/All this means one thing: Florida in 2016 will have a more diverse electorate than 2012 -- and more diverse yet in 2020.
My take on the data? Florida is demographically trending blue, at a quickening pace.
http://steveschale.com

Last edited by Bureaucat; 07-02-2016 at 08:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 08:28 AM

7,682 posts, read 8,485,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Sort of election related. From Steve Shale's blog, 15 tidbits from the 2015 census data released on Florida:

My take on the data? Florida is demographically trending blue, at a quickening pace.
home - Steve Schale -- Florida from a Leading Politico
Not surprised at all by these figures. Puerto Rico's economic crisis (and the refusal of the Republican Party to fairly address the crisis) is sending Puerto Ricans to Florida in huge numbers. These people are not going to vote for the Republican Party that told them to go pound sand.

I predict Georgia is next up. The movement of Blacks to Atlanta and it's suburbs will turn that state solid blue within a decade.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:41 AM

11,758 posts, read 5,546,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Not surprised at all by these figures. Puerto Rico's economic crisis (and the refusal of the Republican Party to fairly address the crisis) is sending Puerto Ricans to Florida in huge numbers. These people are not going to vote for the Republican Party that told them to go pound sand.

I predict Georgia is next up. The movement of Blacks to Atlanta and it's suburbs will turn that state solid blue within a decade.
If you add up blacks (30%), Hispanics (8%), Asians (3%), multi-racial people (~3%) and the indigenous people (~1%), you've already got 45% in Georgia. https://suburbanstats.org/population...ive-in-georgia

Add some (a minority) of whites in large cities, and Georgia will flip very soon.

Mick

Old 07-02-2016, 09:19 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,847,862 times
I used to live in FL and you'd be suprised at how many Latino's were Republican...now thanks to Trump they are leaving the party in droves. Even the Cuban community...which votes 99% GOP are now only 50% GOP

Old 07-02-2016, 09:35 AM

9,984 posts, read 6,763,016 times
I really think we need to stop it with all the race-based data.

What is a half-Hispanic ? No longer a "non-White Hispanic" ?

What is a half-Black, half-Hispanic ?

What is a half-Black, half-White ?

etc.

Why can't it be about ideas, instead of race ?

Old 07-02-2016, 09:38 AM

14,210 posts, read 10,107,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
I used to live in FL and you'd be suprised at how many Latino's were Republican...now thanks to Trump they are leaving the party in droves. Even the Cuban community...which votes 99% GOP are now only 50% GOP
Cubans have always been more conservative and helped hand the GOP florida. The problem is that younger cubans aren't as tied to the anti Castro ideals of older generations and vote Democrat. The other issue is that the number of Hispanics from places like Central and South America have increased, and they to vote Democrat.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:53 AM

16,926 posts, read 8,613,921 times
Quickly! Get rid of whites so you can turn blue!.. what a bunch of racist drible

Old 07-02-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I really think we need to stop it with all the race-based data.

What is a half-Hispanic ? No longer a "non-White Hispanic" ?

What is a half-Black, half-Hispanic ?

What is a half-Black, half-White ?

etc.

Why can't it be about ideas, instead of race ?
If the voters didn't break down among racial lines, the racial demography would be meaningless. But historically, they do, so the data remains relevant until such time as proven otherwise.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Quickly! Get rid of whites so you can turn blue!.. what a bunch of racist drible
It's not racist just pointing out the political effects of demographic change. As the demography of a state or nation changes, the political parties must adjust their policies and positions to appeal to a majority of a changing electorate or be left behind.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:04 AM

14,210 posts, read 10,107,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
It might not stay that way. The GOP in Texas is more inclusive and as such does pretty well with Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or