Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 07:17 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,458,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPlatter View Post
More Republicans tend to go out and vote. As for state and local governments, a majority of cities throughout the country aren't that big. They are rather small. People who live in more rural environments tend to be a lot more conservative. Many states out there do not have large enough cities to make states blue.
True and gerrymandering help with that also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 07:20 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,916,202 times
You forgot the dead people that vote exclusively Democratic. The main reason they are against voter ID.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:26 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,221,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Maryland (it wasn't enough that they got voting rights back at the end of their sentences so the Legislature allowed it while they're on parole. The election of a Republican Governor a couple years ago really shook up the Democratic majority) and Virginia (where the executive order was so sweeping it allows ex-felons convicted of violent crimes, including those involving guns, to regain their right to own firearms. That's turned into a big OOPS for the Governor).
It didn't shake of the majority they gained 7 seats in the HOD.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:08 PM

44,990 posts, read 59,979,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
It didn't shake of the majority they gained 7 seats in the HOD.

The Democrats lost 8 seats in the House last election, although they're still in the majority. They also lost 2 seats in the State Senate.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:07 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,846,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
It is somewhat surprising that the Republicans still win about half of the major elections. Consider the growth of groups that lean towards voting Democrat:

***Illegals
***LGBT
***Living off of government aid
***Minorities
***Females(more of them are exercising their voting rights
***Atheists
***Huge city dwellers
Nice to see they're finally admitting illegals vote.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:46 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,864,899 times
It is weird that Republicans win frequently considering 45-50 million are non registered as voters, Democrates apparently out number Republicans so apathy ,no shows, and a disconnect from politics? We suspect that within evangelicals as no shows and most are Republicans so here is my profound answer :......I really don't know!

Old 07-08-2016, 01:27 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,938,440 times
It is late, I am tired. This may make no sense. I don't care that much for either major party....I simply have more conservative values than some. My favorite political expression is "two wings of the same bird of prey."

Guess I got a little spun with this movement of allowing confused men in the ladies room.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:47 AM

44,990 posts, read 59,979,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
It is weird that Republicans win frequently considering 45-50 million are non registered as voters, Democrates apparently out number Republicans so apathy ,no shows, and a disconnect from politics? We suspect that within evangelicals as no shows and most are Republicans so here is my profound answer :......I really don't know!

Maybe, but you have some areas where Democratic registrants do so out of habit but consistently vote Republican. Southern Maryland is one such, many of the old line Democrats are just a bit to the right of Attilla the Hun.

I'll use the turnout statement as an example. Maryland elected a Republican Governor two years ago, The meme was that "turnout for Democrats was down while Republican went up". That was incorrect. The turnout was down across the board but the relative percentage of who voted remained the same, the same number of total voters who were Democrats was roughly the historic number as was the Republican number.

The only takeaway is that Democrats voted for the Republican rather than the supposed-to-be-a-shoo-in Democrat.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:02 AM

25,654 posts, read 21,819,785 times
Off the top of my head, the Clintons came to mind. They have been a national disgrace.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:15 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,904,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Plenty of minority groups still support Republicans. While the list you made is largely Democrat, it's not exclusively Democrat. Plenty of Republicans are atheist, gay, women. Kaitlin Jenner is a Republican.

This is why. While I won't say much about the Republican establishment, the Republican party stands up for individual freedom and small government,
Not really. They stand for the big money donor class. "individual freedom and small government" are just talking points carefully crafted to make sure they get 50+% of the vote while serving the 0.1%. Lots of democrats play that game too of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections