Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 11:49 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,033,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
trump has no 'past' in the political arena, he's learning day by day, with such a smart human being, i'm pretty sure the learning curve won't be that steep.
You can't be serious! What career can you learn so well in a year that you go all the way to the top? People who went to school to obtain an engineering degree (endured 4-5 years of grueling work) are still considered rookies after 3 years of experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 05:28 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,140,847 times
Quote:
trump has no 'past' in the political arena, he's learning day by day, with such a smart human being, i'm pretty sure the learning curve won't be that steep.
When, exactly, is Trump going to start "learning" anything? He's officially been in politics for a year and has not only demonstrated less knowledge about the US political system than a moderately attentive high school student, he's also shown no inclination or ability to learn anything about it. Apparently he's either really stupid or lazy and probably both.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:31 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,341,444 times
I think you have to look at both the message and the messenger and it should be all in one package and not separated like the OP implies. A good example of this is Trumps tirades against China and their MFN status and manipulating currency { message} but Trump and family have had products made in China for re sell in the U S {messenger} With Trump I could play this game all day long but I am sure the OP gets the point.

The OP also thinks we should cut Trump some slack because he is in a learning curve politically but he is smart and will pick up fast. In my book he is a slow learner and rides the short bus and displays lack of judgement. Case in point : the star of David and the Hillary flap. Unless Trump is nearly brain dead he would have to know whatever he says or does is going to be under tremendous scrutiny. Before tweeting that photo he did not take a minute and think that maybe some people will think it looks like the star of David and accuse him of being anti Jewish.

The example of above shows a lack of critical thinking skill considering the star had nothing to do with the content of the tweet. Like Donald himself the tweet hardly had any substance and that simplistic message could have stood by itself without the star. The OP should get it unless they think that Trump did this on purpose to stir up the pot and get media attention. If so, besides getting media attention the only accomplishment was turning more people away from his campaign. Smart move when you are trying to win a election

If I was writing a book entitled "the worst campaign in history" Trump would be on the cover, it is so bad I sometimes wonder if he is purposely trying to lose this election. But no matter what he says or does his supporters stand behind him. I am a big skeptic and dislike democracy, the voters scare the hell out of me when I see so many falling for a carnival barker. And then you look on the other side and there is Hillary and she has supporters that will defend her no matter what. This election is the lesser of 2 evils on steroids, hooray democracy

Old 07-09-2016, 06:28 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,667,130 times
Quote:
quite a few people are buying into his message, he beat out 16 or 17 other nominees to get where he is today, SOME people must like what he's saying.

btw, a lot of what you said in this post is not true.
I don't see anything that is not true in the post you quoted. Would you care to point out the alleged untruths so that they can be debunked?

Old 07-10-2016, 09:58 PM

856 posts, read 698,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
+1

Post of the day. Trump is exactly engaging in class and race warfare. His views on government controls should terrify anyone who believes in small government.
Thank you, I appreciate your kind words.

Trump believes in Keyensian economics, bigger government, a more powerful executive, his views on social issues seem to change though he does support taxpayer-funds going to planned parenthood, and his view of the world seems to be that we should ignore our alliances, create new enemies, and either appease our current enemies or isolate ourselves from any role on the world stage.

Quote:
quite a few people are buying into his message, he beat out 16 or 17 other nominees to get where he is today, SOME people must like what he's saying.

btw, a lot of what you said in this post is not true.
You are absolutely right in that he did beat 17 people.

What percentage of the vote have recent GOP nominees won in the primaries? Here:
2016: Trump 45% Cruz 25% Rubio 11%
2012: Romney 52% Santorum 20% Gingrich 14%
2008: McCain 46% Romney 22% Huckabee 20%
2000: Bush 62% McCain 31% Keyes 5%
1996: Dole 59% Buchanan 21% Forbes 11%
1992: Bush 72% Buchanan 23%
1988: Bush 67% Dole 19% Robertson 9%
1980: Reagan 60% Bush 24% Anderson 12%

The point is, Trump leads the most divided GOP in recent years. Yes, there were 17 candidates, but it really came down to four after South Carolina; Trump, Cruz, Rubio, and Kasich.

Conservatives rejected Trump as did many moderates, he won the nomination with other moderates, unaffiliated voters, and new Republicans who joined the party because of his anti-globalization rhetoric and position on immigration.

Donald Trump does not speak for a majority of Republicans, he speaks for disenfranchised voters. While some of these disenfranchised voters have legitimate policy differences with conservatives, others are white supremacists.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:48 PM

416 posts, read 258,191 times
Wow. This might be the best thread i have read on this site. Thanks for starting it wst and more importantly thanks to all who contributed to it. Well thought out points and then articulated brilliantly are sometimes tough to find on here. There's no sense my piling on Trump, he is exactly what most of you have characterized him as.

I do want to touch on a point about the republican primary. I normally wouldn't watch a debate by the folks on the right, but i did this year. Mostly because of the 800 pound elephant (poor choice of word, my bad) in the room. It was astonishing to watch Trump systematically destroy good people (has nothing to do whether i agree or disagree with their beliefs). All in all there were some good candidates on that stage.

One by one, Donald beat them (literally) into submission. Most didn't sign up for a slug fest or a Vince McMahon style battle royal. They stepped on the stage thinking policies and positions mattered. When the smoke cleared, it didn't. A couple of them tried swinging back (Rubio being the most aggressive) and he was way out of character when he did that. Trump rolled over them all.

Trump did what Trump has done his entire life; he was in his element while others were just lost at sea. A lot of the right wing voters loved his message, his style his gunslinger approach. Most of us on the left sat speechless wondering when the bubble would burst, when the real republican's would put him in his place.

It never happened and here we sit today. Donald will go to the convention with all the right intentions, but in the end, the real Donald will shine through. He'll get angry at the rules committee, get angry with the folks who don't want to back him, angry with the press who will push him till he snaps. His angry message will appeal to the small pocket of the already angry folks, but it will never be enough to beat Hillary.

My biggest fear as a democrat is someone on the right will wake up and kick this fool to the curb and Hillary will face a real contest. But alas, it is the Donald and in the end, he will probably just continue to run over people in his way.

With each passing year, seeing more than a two party system seems more attractive.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:38 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,666,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
I don't see anything that is not true in the post you quoted. Would you care to point out the alleged untruths so that they can be debunked?
if you don't see anything that's untrue, means you're not looking hard enough.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:55 AM

68,271 posts, read 53,999,856 times
Quote:
I feel that many anti Trump people are angry at HIM and not really angry at his message, if someone they liked personally had the same exact message, it would be all good.

The message can change, the person not so much. Trump's been the same self-promoting carnival huckster for far too many years to take him seriously.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:25 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,295,665 times
Voting for POTUS is like shopping for a new car. You know the sales persons are all liars so it all depends on which brand you really want.
Do you want,
Ford
GM
Chrysler
Japanese
Korean

Or do you want a completely new brand that nobody has ever heard of that has no support system to solve the problems that will eventually crop up.

"I will build the best car ever"

Old 07-11-2016, 08:11 AM

465 posts, read 254,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Thank you, I appreciate your kind words.

Trump believes in Keyensian economics, bigger government, a more powerful executive, his views on social issues seem to change though he does support taxpayer-funds going to planned parenthood, and his view of the world seems to be that we should ignore our alliances, create new enemies, and either appease our current enemies or isolate ourselves from any role on the world stage.

You are absolutely right in that he did beat 17 people.

What percentage of the vote have recent GOP nominees won in the primaries? Here:
2016: Trump 45% Cruz 25% Rubio 11%
2012: Romney 52% Santorum 20% Gingrich 14%
2008: McCain 46% Romney 22% Huckabee 20%
2000: Bush 62% McCain 31% Keyes 5%
1996: Dole 59% Buchanan 21% Forbes 11%
1992: Bush 72% Buchanan 23%
1988: Bush 67% Dole 19% Robertson 9%
1980: Reagan 60% Bush 24% Anderson 12%

The point is, Trump leads the most divided GOP in recent years. Yes, there were 17 candidates, but it really came down to four after South Carolina; Trump, Cruz, Rubio, and Kasich.

Conservatives rejected Trump as did many moderates, he won the nomination with other moderates, unaffiliated voters, and new Republicans who joined the party because of his anti-globalization rhetoric and position on immigration.

Donald Trump does not speak for a majority of Republicans, he speaks for disenfranchised voters. While some of these disenfranchised voters have legitimate policy differences with conservatives, others are white supremacists.

EXACTLY!

I respect those with legitimate policy concerns, but the party has been infected with a cancer, and there's NO WAY for voters like me to separate the two factions of the party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections