Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 09:01 AM

416 posts, read 258,826 times

Advertisements

Seems we have posters from both sides of the aisle, and lots of folks who understandably have no interest in the election at all (given their choices) hanging around this site. Normally i would have zero interest in the coming Republican National Convention, but this year i will watch a good share of it.

It's slated to begin Saturday the 18th of July and end on the 21st. Cleveland Ohio is the city lucky enough to host it (said with a smirk), and it will bring republicans of all ilk from across the country. I was going to say bring them together, but that's yet to be determined.

The real fireworks could start long before the convention is called to order though. Here's a brief synopsis of the Convention Committee on Rules and Order of Business. There's 112 people elected, a man and woman from each state and from Washington DC.

There's been an effort by several of the delegates to introduce rules that could impact this convention and it will be fascinating to see how much or how little support bringing forward these changes will bring. The RNC Dump Trump delegate leader claims they have the votes to unbind delegates. Here's a link to the story and i was stunned to see how much Kendal Unruh looks like the Donald.

That fight alone should be worth the price of admission, and it will set the tone for the three day "love fest." All which begs the question, will it be? Will Trump rally the collective body of assembled righties, or will it blow up and become the freak show the debates were? Will Trump even still be standing come Mondays conclusion? And if the Donald is still standing, will he become moire presidential?

I have lots of thoughts on what will happen, but i'd love to hear your take on what we will see? Will you even watch, or do you not care?

Old 07-11-2016, 09:44 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,433,165 times
It's essentially a giant self promotion for Trump industries...all of his supporters are deep into the con.

It'll be like attending one of those self help seminars where everyone is forking over money and getting nothing out of it

Old 07-11-2016, 09:49 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,955,497 times
I will add that for the past week, Donald John Trump has been promising the speaker list for the RNC. For instance, on July 7th:

List of RNC speakers expected today; Don King, Ben Carson likely to be included | fox8.com

Alas! We keep expecting. Perhaps today? Perhaps not?

Old 07-11-2016, 10:08 AM

25,695 posts, read 21,849,661 times
The ones not attending are either sour grapes and worse yet, those that support dynasty candidates despite the party, thus Hillary. Everyone in the country knows that the GOP has no chance if they steal the nomination from Trump.

I don't think there will be that much to see. I believe that most Republicans DO NOT want Hillary as POTUS, the elites might whine and pout, but I don't see that much else except that Clinton's campaign will pay millions for protesters since even before the report from Comey, they were already to financially deep into Hillary not to still try to reap the favors they were paying for.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:10 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,227,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I will add that for the past week, Donald John Trump has been promising the speaker list for the RNC. For instance, on July 7th:

List of RNC speakers expected today; Don King, Ben Carson likely to be included | fox8.com

He likely doesn't have a finalized list yet. My feeling is just like the VP search he is having a hard time finding people that want the job.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:11 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,433,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The ones not attending are either sour grapes and worse yet, those that support dynasty candidates despite the party, thus Hillary. Everyone in the country knows that the GOP has no chance if they steal the nomination from Trump.

I don't think there will be that much to see. I believe that most Republicans DO NOT want Hillary as POTUS, the elites might whine and pout, but I don't see that much else except that Clinton's campaign will pay millions for protesters since even before the report from Comey, they were already to financially deep into Hillary not to still try to reap the favors they were paying for.
it's amazing how many conspiracy theories and outright lies Trump supporters manage to cram into a paragraph...no wonder the GOP is seen as the party of stupid

Old 07-11-2016, 10:49 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,955,497 times
I have come up with a bold plan on behalf of the Republican party.

I read that former-senator Bob Dole will be attending the convention. I say, free the delegates, and nominate Mr. Dole as president, and then Mr. Trump as VP.

This benefits the Republicans in several ways: one, with Mr. Dole you have a 'moderate' Republican (at least, moderate compared to many nowadays) whom would draw many of those Democrats that simply do not want Ms. Clinton, but then again will not vote for Mr. Trump. Indeed, Mr. Dole would likewise draw those Republicans that plan to 'sit out' the election, rather than vote for Mr. Trump.

Second, Mr. Dole, an honored WWII veteran (and wounded in action; since he was not a POW, then he is not despised by Mr. Trump), is, of course, very old (he will be turning 93 on July 22nd, the day after the RNC ends). As such, the disappointed Trump supporters may safely vote for Mr. Dole, since the odds are that Mr. Dole will either not live for the duration of the four year term, or, more likely, would have to resign due to poor health. Thus, Mr. Trump will become president.

You are welcome, Republican Party.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:00 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,214,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

There is a list. How have you missed it?

Old 07-11-2016, 11:03 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,214,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
He likely doesn't have a finalized list yet. My feeling is just like the VP search he is having a hard time finding people that want the job.
Really? What makes you think that? He's not having a hard time at all. One of the top picks has already said he'd be happy to serve. What news channel do you watch? Who is telling you he's having a "hard time."

There is no shortage of people who want to speak either.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:06 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,898,073 times
I hope Meat Loaf or Gary Busey are scheduled to speak.

How about having the Nuuuuuge, the would be HUUUUUGE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections