Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:24 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica1000 View Post
God I hope McCain goes to gates of hell searching for Bin Laden and then doesn't come back.
Because McCain and Bin Laden are similar? Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 07:46 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt View Post
Right, but a military success it was not, because the military action did not enable political success. In fact, since the political outcome was doomed when the decision to wrongfully invade was made, military success was definitively impossible from the outset.

I completely agree about the political failure but I'm curious: What would you, as a military man consider a military success?

As you've said, you did your job well as did many others, in my eyes that's success, those in the military certainly can't be blamed for doing the job they were given. I believe political change can only come from within a country, it can't be imposed by outside forces.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:56 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I completely agree about the political failure but I'm curious: What would you, as a military man consider a military success?

As you've said, you did your job well as did many others, in my eyes that's success, those in the military certainly can't be blamed for doing the job they were given. I believe political change can only come from within a country, it can't be imposed by outside forces.
I don't want to pretend to talk for someone else, but he/she (burnt) said this yesterday:

"No war has ever had a military objective. Ultimately, all objectives of all wars are political, because the whole reason wars are waged is to force the enemy to modify or abandon his own political objectives--even if that is through destroying his existence through total war. Therefore, there cannot be any success without political success."

Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I don't want to pretend to talk for someone else, but he/she (burnt) said this yesterday:

"No war has ever had a military objective. Ultimately, all objectives of all wars are political, because the whole reason wars are waged is to force the enemy to modify or abandon his own political objectives--even if that is through destroying his existence through total war. Therefore, there cannot be any success without political success."

That's really why I asked. Maybe I'm seeing things as a little too black & white but I guess I've been thinking that if not a success it must be a failure. I remember how during the Vietnam era military people were all too often blamed for what was really the failure of the politicians.

My feeling has been that in Iraq, the military has held up its end of the bargain while the politicians have failed to do the same.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:51 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Here is a video report from WBAY-Green Bay, of John McCain campaigning in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, where he vowed to "go to the gates of hell, if necessary, to get Osama bin Laden and bring him to justice."

"I'll Go to the Gates of Hell to Get Osama Bin Laden" - John McCain - Video 2/15/08 | BLOGS FOR JOHN McCAIN
I'm guessing he doesn't mean that literally. I'm worried about him getting to the front gates of the White House to pick up his newspaper.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:20 AM

6 posts, read 12,449 times
Osama bin laden is in pakistian right now. But yet we are fighting in iraq everyday while losing young american lives. I thought the purpose of the war was to find the person responsible for killing 3,000 americans. I guess awarding goverment contracts in iraq to compaines like halliburton who dick cheney has money tied into. And the oil business in iraq is more important than thousands of american lives.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:29 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
I have no doubt that the oil in the middleast is important.That is the thing that scares people about pulling out of Iraq.If there is a civil war in Iraq after we leave and then spreads to other middleast countires that could result in a world wide depression.Asl anyone that is old enough to remember the depression of the 30's and then think that this could be alot worse because of no transportation for anything;including food.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:32 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,696 times
McCain scares me but if the Dems are stupid enough to nominate Obama, McCain is who we will have running our country for at least the next 4 years!!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:44 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I have no doubt that the oil in the middleast is important.That is the thing that scares people about pulling out of Iraq.If there is a civil war in Iraq after we leave and then spreads to other middleast countires that could result in a world wide depression.Asl anyone that is old enough to remember the depression of the 30's and then think that this could be alot worse because of no transportation for anything;including food.
Actually what is worse is the effect we have already had on the region, exerting our force and giving the militant religious leaders more reason to recruit the uneducated youth of the region into becoming terorrists. We have solidified ourselves as satan in their eyes, and continue to do so with each day that we are over there.

Had we gone into Afghanistan and taken out the Taliban and al Queda, followed UBL into Pakistan with a small number of special forces and taken him out, we wouldn't have incited the region. Those actions were just and most people in the region would have supported us. As it stands now 80% of the muslim world agrees with UBL about the impact of our foreign policy. The blowback from our actions will be felt for decades.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:48 AM

413 posts, read 909,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

I do not consider it a military success. The military portion of a campaign can only be a success if it achieves what is necessary for the entire campaign--that is, the political objective--to be a success. Ergo, as I've explained, since the political campaign was a failure before the invasion even occurred, the military portion was also not a success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections