U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 08:37 AM

29,722 posts, read 16,475,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
you realize their ideology's are completely opposite?

Bernie Sanders: Higher Minimum wage, government sponsored healthcare and higher education programs for everyone, a highly regulated stock market with attempts to put an end to high speed trading volatility. Invest heavily in Green technologies. Higher taxes.

Gary Johnson: No minimum wage, eliminate any Federally mandated wage law. Government should have absolutely no part in healthcare and we should end any current programs (has a history of protecting big tobacco), a completely unregulated Wall St., absolute free trade with all foreign countries. No investment in green technologies. Lower taxes.

I guess if Marijuana legalization and increased immigration were the most important issues, then you could vote for either..
I agree with you. I took a look at the libertarian platform myself ~ and it is polar opposite to so-called
progressive values.

Jill Stein I could see (though I remain unimpressed with her) ~ at least the green party platform is closer to Bernie's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 08:38 AM

4,666 posts, read 2,618,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
To add to your post, allowing Hillary to win will lead to a liberal majority in the Supreme Court for decades to come. Even conservatives who hate Trump should still vote for him for this reason alone. Hopefully they come to their senses before November.
That's something I consider a lot, but then I start wondering who would Trump put in there. Has he made any speculations on potential Supreme Court nominees? I heard he was going to put Cruz in charge of finding suitable candidates. sorry, but I'm not socially conservative and that scares me just as much as Hillarys potential choices. His Supreme Court choices are incredibly important, but I'm not going to vote for him if I don't know who hes going to choose, if a slot happens to open. Too many ifs.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:38 AM

4,625 posts, read 2,763,608 times
In Bold my answers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Trump's positives far outweigh any negatives some might attribute to him: My critique
  • Rebuild the military-So increase military spending, no offense but that is what is already bankrupting America. We need to spend our money on taking care of Vets here at home. Too many of them are in need of help. i.e. the shooter in Dallas (only sick people kill a bunch of people, he even shot a black woman, so obviously he wasn't just targeting police)
  • Control the borders - I agree there is a serious problem with illegal immigration, but there should be a path to citizenship in my opinion if you aren't a criminal or what not.
  • Deport those here illegallly-^
  • Limit or curtail immigration from Muslim countries-
  • Reduce the corporate tax rate to a rate on a par with other countries- in study after study, it shows this will do nothing to help the normal person and only encourage corporate consildation
  • Establish policies that bring business back (such as above) and encorruage entrapreneurship- tariffs will be terrible to the normal consumer
  • Re-establish common sense engergy policy (coal and oil)- why? Let nature take back Appalachia
  • End the "Iran deal." - A lot of Iranian people want peace. It isn't like we have normalized relations.
  • Destroy ISIS and take contol of the oil (this should have been done years ago)- Torture, Carpet Bombing, etc.? You think that will end an ideology. Thought we learned that doesn't work with the Bush Wars.
  • He has vowed to appoint conservative judges (protect the Constitution)- No thanks. Conservative judges have showed they don't believe in the constitution with things like Citizens United and other laws that strip away the power of the common man.
  • Defend the 2nd Amendment- Not everyone deserves or should be able to have an assult rifle. Especially if they are terrorist suspects or mentally ill.

These are just some of the things I have heard him address in his campaign.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:39 AM

10,765 posts, read 10,127,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I agree with you. I took a look at the libertarian platform myself ~ and it is polar opposite to so-called
progressive values.

Jill Stein I could see (though I remain unimpressed with her) ~ at least the green party platform is closer to Bernie's.
Clearly not the "polar opposite", but different enough to make it unlikely that Johnson will get many Bernie voters.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:40 AM

29,722 posts, read 16,475,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
That's something I consider a lot, but then I start wondering who would Trump put in there. Has he made any speculations on potential Supreme Court nominees? I heard he was going to put Cruz in charge of finding suitable candidates. sorry, but I'm not socially conservative and that scares me just as much as Hillarys potential choices. His Supreme Court choices are incredibly important, but I'm not going to vote for him if I don't know who hes going to choose, if a slot happens to open. Too many ifs.
A slot is open right now.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:46 AM

10,765 posts, read 10,127,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I'm not a social conservative either, but I live with the fact that if I want a fiscally conservative judge, there is a decent chance that they are also going to be socially conservative. And that goes for any conservative that nominates them.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:49 AM

4,666 posts, read 2,618,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
you realize their ideology's are completely opposite?

Bernie Sanders: Higher Minimum wage, government sponsored healthcare and higher education programs for everyone, a highly regulated stock market with attempts to put an end to high speed trading volatility. Invest heavily in Green technologies. Higher taxes.

Gary Johnson: No minimum wage, eliminate any Federally mandated wage law. Government should have absolutely no part in healthcare and we should end any current programs (has a history of protecting big tobacco), a completely unregulated Wall St., absolute free trade with all foreign countries. No investment in green technologies. Lower taxes.

I guess if Marijuana legalization and increased immigration were the most important issues, then you could vote for either..
A couple notes, Johnson is a moderate libertarian, like myself, and we have no problems with some government regulations. What you are describing is pure libertarianism. We still believe in some welfare, and some government regulations, but not at the current massive scale. We are fine with remaining on some global government organizations, like the WTO, or UN, but we may change to observer status, instead of member to main national sovereignty and free trade. Johnson does not believe in open borders, there should still be border protection and regulations to enter the country, he's believes in maintaining the status quo and issuing work visas for those illegals here who already have jobs. He does not believe in amnesty.

But yup, Johnson and Sanders are very much different. One can't get much different on economic policies. But socially, on lgbt rights, abortion, marijuana, etc they share similar beliefs.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:01 AM

7,046 posts, read 4,046,943 times
Quote:
Clearly not the "polar opposite", but different enough to make it unlikely that Johnson will get many Bernie voters.
The smart ones are shooting for third party thresholds. People get too mired in "ideology" make your vote count to the most it can. There are things officials say and things they do, the things they say are designed right at ideological voters.

Non swing states, don't waste your time on the major parties. I've lived through a Johnson admin, he was fine.

Stein and the Green Party didn't make the ballot in many states Johnson did.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:13 AM

5,508 posts, read 6,098,530 times
Quote:
I gotta love posts like this. The more ridiculous, the better.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I thought the one I quoted was pretty funny too. I'm surprised he didn't mention the wall, or how he's going to defend Article XII of the Constitution. Oh yeah, and how did that birth certificate thing work out?

Hopefully this is a moot discussion either way, since he doesn't seem to stand much of a chance of getting near the White House.

Last edited by johnp292; 07-09-2016 at 09:29 AM..

Old 07-10-2016, 06:28 PM

14,657 posts, read 10,558,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
You forgot 'start World War III', which he's more likely to do than any of the above.
Yep. That's the one I can't get past.
When I post in bold red that is moderator action and, per the TOS, can only be discussed through Direct Message.Moderator - Asia, Arkansas (w/ subforums), Kentucky (w/ subforums), Military Life, and P&OC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or