Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 02:14 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,874,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Why do you think the GOP has been in revolt? Voters like me know we have been stabbed in the back numerous times. Eventually, people get fed up and demand proper representation. Unfortunately, it has allowed an imposter to hijack the GOP ticket. This may allow HRC a free pass into the white house, which would be an absolute mistake for America.

The problem I have is, I don't think Democrats are willing to hold their candidates to the same high standards. They will put up with any form of abuse, so long as their team wins. It's really very stupid.
Odd. Your belief in the party stabbing you in the back is to vote for one of the back stabbers?

Old 07-10-2016, 03:18 PM

2,902 posts, read 1,957,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
B.S. on Cruz.

Trump Camp: Ted Cruz Is 'The Reason Why Obamatrade' Passed - Breitbart

Cruz was for it. He started his campaign for president and made a few statements that he was now against it but in the end he voted to allow it to move on.
Cruz spoke on the matter during the primaries and said originally when asked he was for free trade but would need to look at the bill before deciding. After reading it he decided not to vote for it. End of story. Spin you 'B.S.' on someone less informed. You are probably one of the voters who gave us Trump. Thanks for that btw, now we may end up with Hillary in the WH nominating more activist liberal judges to the Supreme Court. Nice, real nice.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:47 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,212,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Cruz spoke on the matter during the primaries and said originally when asked he was for free trade but would need to look at the bill before deciding. After reading it he decided not to vote for it. End of story. Spin you 'B.S.' on someone less informed. You are probably one of the voters who gave us Trump. Thanks for that btw, now we may end up with Hillary in the WH nominating more activist liberal judges to the Supreme Court. Nice, real nice.
And the federal court too . Given the age of judges in the circuits and the remaining unfilled slots there is a good shot of anywhere 1-3 of the remaining conservative courts flipping more leftward.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:07 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,874,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
He voted to forward it.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:10 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,723,279 times
In modern times you have two options, vote moderate Republican or vote far-right wing nut crazy. A vote for Clinton is a vote for moderate Republicanism.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:43 AM

33,943 posts, read 22,378,531 times
I guess I'm curious as to why the labor unions represented at the committee also voted for the TPP? I heard that the other day and wasn't sure why they would do that.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:04 AM

13,386 posts, read 4,746,878 times
I like Bernie, but always thought he was off-base about trade protectionism. NAFTA has had a net positive impact on US wages and employment. The impression people have, that NAFTA has caused US to lose jobs and lower wages, is false:

https://www.usitc.gov/publications/332/ec201406a.pdf

TPP would also likely be a positive for the US.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:18 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,599,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I guess I'm curious as to why the labor unions represented at the committee also voted for the TPP? I heard that the other day and wasn't sure why they would do that.
Union leaders are just as easy to buy of than any politico. Maybe easier.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:21 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,599,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I like Bernie, but always thought he was off-base about trade protectionism. NAFTA has had a net positive impact on US wages and employment. The impression people have, that NAFTA has caused US to lose jobs and lower wages, is false:

Yep. You can tell by how much love there is for The Free Slave agreements. Thanks for the link to the official government propaganda paper. Nice use of taxes on hard working people who have to pay for all of the government parasites and corruption. I wonder how all this is going to end?

Old 07-11-2016, 01:10 PM

3,570 posts, read 2,501,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post

I agree with you. What's more, I think there is an emotionally-laden argument that free trade (and free trade agreements, which are not the same thing) destroys jobs. The reality is far too complex for a bumper sticker, which makes it tough sledding for an election. But here's a good stand in: the US has no free trade agreement with China. And the TPP is actively designed to impose eventual labor and environmental standards (plus intellectual property protections) on China, when China tries to gain entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
My guess is that the labor unions recognized that the TPP is the strongest bulwark against the type of low-cost manufacturing that so often is painted as a threat to good American jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections