Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 06:09 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What's next the hater, bigoted by words?
I don't understand this sentence.

Quote:
Why not speak English instead if you know it? The more you use it the more fluent you become in it.
That statement is true of any language.

Quote:
I get the impression that they resent having to speak English.
I imagine they resent being told they must speak English.

Quote:
However, when you have to listen to Spanish everywhere you go it does pour salt in the wound as to how many illegals are here from mostly Spanish speaking countries.
There are probably 50 million people in this country who either speak Spanish or identify as Latino. There are 10-11 million illegal aliens in this country. It seems as if one should differentiate between the language and the socio-economic problem.

It is a beautiful language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 06:30 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I don't understand this sentence.

That statement is true of any language.

I imagine they resent being told they must speak English.

There are probably 50 million people in this country who either speak Spanish or identify as Latino. There are 10-11 million illegal aliens in this country. It seems as if one should differentiate between the language and the socio-economic problem.

It is a beautiful language.

Quote by Theodore Roosevelt :

Old 07-25-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Quote by Theodore Roosevelt
In addition to the quote you cited while Teddy Roosevelt was POTUS, he expressed the same sentiment several times in his post-Presidency.

He clearly felt that it was also in the interests of the immigrant that he learn English, as well as the interests of the USA. He even went so far as to say that immigrants should go back to their country if they don't learn English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Roosevelt
We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...." 1907

"Let us say to the immigrant not that we hope he will learn English, but that he has got to learn it. Let the immigrant who does not learn it go back. He has got to consider the interest of the United States or he should not stay here. He must be made to see that his opportunities in this country depend upon his knowing English and observing American standards. The employer cannot be permitted to regard him only as an industrial asset. 1 February 1916

We must have in this country but one flag, and for the speech of the people but one language, the English language.
4th, July 1917.

We have room for but one language here and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, and American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding house; 27 May 1918
President Roosevelt's sentiment is just as valid today as it was a century ago. A common language makes it much easier to function as a nation.

But while it is a good idea that everyone should learn English, it doesn't mean that they should be required to speak it all the time, or that you should be upset in hearing the language, or that no government official should ever speak in Spanish.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:29 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Maybe in Europe or even in Canada: not the US since MOST "Hispanic" people who've been here for 3 generation or more DON'T even speak Spanish and; a LOT of that kind of Latino looks DOWN on even illegal aliens from LatAm.
Well since the natural process of assimilation means that immigrant populations will acquire English naturally and in time, why do you then advocate for suppressing use of LOTE (languages other than English) and get all huffy about people using Spanish or other languages in public, in private conversations As I've said, it creates more problems in society.

If you've forgotten, Quebec's French language policy is a backlash and direct result of Francophones being suppressed and marginalized in their own province for hundreds of years.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
In addition to the quote you cited while Teddy Roosevelt was POTUS, he expressed the same sentiment several times in his post-Presidency.

He clearly felt that it was also in the interests of the immigrant that he learn English, as well as the interests of the USA. He even went so far as to say that immigrants should go back to their country if they don't learn English.

President Roosevelt's sentiment is just as valid today as it was a century ago. A common language makes it much easier to function as a nation.

But while it is a good idea that everyone should learn English, it doesn't mean that they should be required to speak it all the time, or that you should be upset in hearing the language, or that no government official should ever speak in Spanish.

That's a matter of opinion that I don't have the right to be irritated hearing Spanish being spoken all over the place everywhere I go, doesn't it? It's not just occasionally and it reeks of non-assimilation. I feel like I am living in Mexico but I don't have the option of moving right now and it's all over the southwest.

IMO, since only citizens can vote and they have to know English to become a citizen it makes no sense for a political "candidate" to address an audience in anything other than English.

Last edited by Oldglory; 07-25-2016 at 01:22 PM..

Old 08-03-2016, 12:22 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times
Quote:
California and Texas by virtue of their huge size contain 1 out of 5 Americans. But because they are more diverse, they contain 1 out of 3 minority members.
But once you leave California and the major urban centers of Texas, the country still feels - and probably always will - mostly white (sans Hawaii, of course).

Old 08-03-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
But once you leave California and the major urban centers of Texas, the country still feels - and probably always will - mostly white (sans Hawaii, of course).

It's not about whiteness to me it's about our identifying culture and language.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
It's not just occasionally and it reeks of non-assimilation. I feel like I am living in Mexico but I don't have the option of moving right now and it's all over the southwest.
Non-assimilation. You mean in territory that once belonged to Mexico.

The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, signed on February 2, 1848 and ratified by both nations, ending the Mexican American war , stated that Mexicans in the former Mexican lands, which were now occupied, were to be protected under the laws of the United States and the Treaty. They retained the right to their language, religion, and culture. Their property and land was protected by the law. For the first time in U.S. history that citizenship was extended to a population that was not formally recognized as “white” by the federal government.

Quote:
That's a matter of opinion that I don't have the right to be irritated hearing Spanish being spoken all over the place everywhere I go, doesn't it?
You have a right to be irritable. There is no law against it.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:39 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
That's a matter of opinion that I don't have the right to be irritated hearing Spanish being spoken all over the place everywhere I go, doesn't it? It's not just occasionally and it reeks of non-assimilation. I feel like I am living in Mexico but I don't have the option of moving right now and it's all over the southwest.

IMO, since only citizens can vote and they have to know English to become a citizen it makes no sense for a political "candidate" to address an audience in anything other than English.
Well, you can keep being irritated if you want. It's a free country and anyone can speak what they want.

Well, if they want to be closer to the constituents, they will use whatever language that is expedient. Again, it's a free country and there's no law prohibiting that. You'll find politicians here using Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese depending on the political constituency, here in the SF Bay Area.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Non-assimilation. You mean in territory that once belonged to Mexico.

The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, signed on February 2, 1848 and ratified by both nations, ending the Mexican American war , stated that Mexicans in the former Mexican lands, which were now occupied, were to be protected under the laws of the United States and the Treaty. They retained the right to their language, religion, and culture. Their property and land was protected by the law. For the first time in U.S. history that citizenship was extended to a population that was not formally recognized as “white” by the federal government.

You have a right to be irritable. There is no law against it.

Your clue is "once". It no longer belongs to Mexico. Most of the descendants of those earlier Mexicans are fully assimilated into our society. The ones that aren't are those here illegally. There is no protection of them, their culture or language as they are here illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections