Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a sitting Supreme Court justice comment on a presidential candidate or nominee?
Yes 25 23.58%
No 81 76.42%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 03:48 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,467,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Of laws, not politicians or really any individual.
There is nothing in the Constitution that prohibits...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
OK, so if you don't want to know their personal opinions about stuff, then why are you so adamant that "conservative" judges be sent to the SC? Any judge, nominated by any president, is sufficient. Their role is to interpret the constitution, not promote either a liberal or conservative agenda.
Excellent response.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:57 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,264,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post

were are not talking about the violation of any law.....we are talking about the integrity and neutrality away from politics of the S.C.

There is not a law that prohibits the Chief Law Enforcer of the nation, the President, taking sides in a criminal investigation based on his opinions but it taints the due process of the defendant or the prosecution.....if you don't see why they shouldn't comment in public then I can't help you.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:24 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,223,760 times
I'm proud of the anti-Trumpers and liberals on this thread.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I think she should resign. Her conduct is against the code of conduct for US judges:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...517_story.html

But who pays attention to the rules/rules of law anymore? Rules/laws are for little people after all. Ask Hil. No consequences for the connected/those in power. It's a big yawn to many in our disengaged/uneducated populace. When things like this happen and go unpunished(which I'm sure it will) and polls shows a vast majority of people would still vote for someone even if they were indicted, we got a big problem in our nation/political system/the populace.
So was Thomas's, Scalia's and Alito's:

Justices Thomas and Scalia Violate Judicial Ethics By Headlining Right Wing Fundraisers

Two of THEM are still there!

Old 07-13-2016, 04:43 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,223,398 times
I don't think they should. I don't think it should be illegal, but I do think it should be frowned upon.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Why don't you link to this code of ethics for US Supreme Court Justices you are so familiar with.

Actually, I shall direct you to this article, for the answer is there is not a judicial code of ethics for the US Supreme Court:

Did Justice Ginsburg's comments on Donald Trump violate ethics rules?

Do you want to know why? Look in the Constitution and get back to us.
Correct.

Quote:
The Code of Conduct for U.S. Judges—which applies only to lower federal court judges—says judges should not “make speeches for a political candidate, or publicly endorse or oppose a candidate for public office” or “engage in any other political activity.”

Old 07-13-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
It's for US Judges. You're saying supreme court judges are magically exempt from following such rules? If they are, in law, then I see a big loophole in the rules as this same code certainly should apply to them.

Don't you agree? Otherwise, it's like saying ENT Doctors should follow a code of ethics but podiatrists shouldn't. And that makes zero sense.

The Code of Conduct for U.S. Judges—which applies only to lower federal court judges—says judges should not “make speeches for a political candidate, or publicly endorse or oppose a candidate for public office” or “engage in any other political activity.”

Old 07-13-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
were are not talking about the violation of any law.....we are talking about the integrity and neutrality away from politics of the S.C.

There is not a law that prohibits the Chief Law Enforcer of the nation, the President, taking sides in a criminal investigation based on his opinions but it taints the due process of the defendant or the prosecution.....if you don't see why they shouldn't comment in public then I can't help you.
I know what is being discussed here. Obviously YOU do NOT as the discussion is about Justice RBG, NOT PRESIDENT OBAMA!

I did NOT ask for, nor do I NEED you to 'help' me.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:04 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,305,854 times
Quote:
True. A Supreme Court Justice even ran for president once, suspended his term on the court and went back to the court after he lost.

Quote:
So was Thomas's, Scalia's and Alito's:

Justices Thomas and Scalia Violate Judicial Ethics By Headlining Right Wing Fundraisers

Two of THEM are still there!

Where was the Republican outrage over that? Oh wait, there wasn't any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections