Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 11:59 AM

9,611 posts, read 21,142,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
If you supported Bernie, the logical flow is to support who he supports now
Why? Because I don't see anything logical about that at all. Unless by "logical" you actually meant "submissive".

Old 07-12-2016, 12:01 PM

13,291 posts, read 9,813,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
About 6 months ago a friend of mine adopted 2 unwanted kittens. He named them Bernie and Ssanders.

He announced today he renamed them to waffles and p*ssy.
LOL, good for your friend knopp.

But he should have renamed them Madam and President.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Depends if you live in a swing state... if you are, then I hope you reconsider what Bernie says if Trump gets elected.
What does that have to do with it? Has it ever occurred to you that a Sanders supporter might actually prefer Trump to Clinton? Not everyone is a partisan lemming, you know. Or maybe you don't know, which is the problem.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:02 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,840,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
No, that isn't how elections work. All this is is Sanders conceding that he was defeated by Hillary. Nothing more than that. But whatever helps you justify voting for Trump is up to you.

No, he isn't how it works. Just because someone I support endorses someone I don't support doesn't mean I have to vote for them. Clinton will never get my vote because I don't vote for the lesser of two evils. I know you want all of Sanders' supporters to swoon over your Hillary like you do, but don't expect all of us to love her like you do.
So a candidate can't concede defeat while not supporting someone they are morally, philosophically and politically opposed to?

Old 07-12-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
So a candidate can't concede defeat while not supporting someone they are morally, philosophically and politically opposed to?
It's not a given, but in this case Sanders has always maintained that he would support the Democratic candidate if he wasn't nominated.

So while endorsing Clinton does appear to compromise many of his ideals, Sanders apparently felt that it was more important to honor his word.

It does seem to create a moral dilemma.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:40 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,482,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
At his age there is no "longer term".

And the love along with the hate for Bernie Sanders will be forgotten soon enough. By the time the next election cycle rolls around he'll be remembered as nothing more than another also-ran.
I disagree. Over the next decade or so he'll probably be seen as the Vanguard for the Democratic Party moving to the left. The new Democrats are a dying breed. Thank goodness for that.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:43 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,874,910 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with it? Has it ever occurred to you that a Sanders supporter might actually prefer Trump to Clinton? Not everyone is a partisan lemming, you know. Or maybe you don't know, which is the problem.
I've been a strong supporter of Bernie over the last year. I did very early on note that his biggest weakness was his loyalty to the (D) party. I support Trump over Clinton but yet, not enough to actually vote for him. And most certainly not Clinton.

No way I'd vote Clinton. I would at least re-look at Trump if he promised to make Chris Christie no part of his administration. That I believe he would tells me enough to stay away.

Jill Stein 2016. I'd considered writing in Bernie, but no longer. My options are quickly fading. I'm left with Stein or Vermin Supreme.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
It's not a given, but in this case Sanders has always maintained that he would support the Democratic candidate if he wasn't nominated.

So while endorsing Clinton does appear to compromise many of his ideals, Sanders apparently felt that it was more important to honor his word.

It does seem to create a moral dilemma.
By supporting Clinton he is dishonoring his word as a support for Clinton is a support for war. For the continued giving away of the country to Wall Street. He could have said "In my desire to support the (D) party and all we claim to stand for I am remaining in the race".

Old 07-12-2016, 12:58 PM

7,572 posts, read 5,282,695 times
Sanders could have stood on principle and become a pariah in the Senate. At least with Clinton as President he still has the opportunity to enact law that represent his principles into law as opposed to just being a pariah. Being Senator Sanders is far better than just being Bernie the guy up in Vermont who tried to derail Clinton. His decision to endorse Clinton was wise, honorable and in line with his principles.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Sanders could have stood on principle and become a pariah in the Senate. At least with Clinton as President he still has the opportunity to enact law that represent his principles into law as opposed to just being a pariah. Being Senator Sanders is far better than just being Bernie the guy up in Vermont who tried to derail Clinton. His decision to endorse Clinton was wise, honorable and in line with his principles.
No he doesn't. One person can not do that. Just like how we have seen that the (D)'s will not buck Obama on TPP even though they falsely claim to be against it, they will not do that to Clinton either.

Sanders has been neutered.

People Are Furious That Bernie Sanders Just Endorsed Hillary Clinton

Read more: Bernie Sanders Endorses Hillary Clinton For President | The Daily Caller

He no longer has the people behind him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections