Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 03:24 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Ken Starr's investigation led to Monica Lewinsky, which led to Bill lying about and later admitting his affairs.

Hillary’s, not so smart, game plan resulted in Bill losing his license to practice law for lying under oath to a grand jury and then his subsequent impeachment by the House of Representatives.

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
Gee wilikers, Mr. Mouser. Thanks for the tip! I've never heard of any of that stuff.

I'm still real proud of Mr. Trump and Mr. Gingrich for collecting themselves that impressive group of wives and ex-wives. It speaks well of all of them.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:30 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I really don't understand why he would pick someone with so much baggage. Heavily in debt, divorced wives (one with cancer), low favorables (a few years ago The Most disliked politician in America), and a throwback to the 90s--when he left as speaker pretty much despised. Shows what "great people" Trump surrounds himself with. Also massively divisive. Poor choice.

He's one of those guys who looks ok from a distance, but as soon as he gets out there--he's kind of hated, as demonstrated in 2012. But, it would be good for the Dems.

VP Wannabe Newt Gingrich Still $4.6 Million in Debt - The Daily Beast

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...LoFR_blog.html

Newt Gingrich's Popularity Falling Fast | US News
He really has little choice. Trump doesn't have too many quality options. He could pick someone like Pence but that would be risky. Pence has a high profile after the RFARA passed in Indiana and is very very conservative. That would turn off some of Trumps base and a lot of moderates as well. He could choose Gen. Flynn which I feel is riskier. A pro choice Democrat with no political experience. His comments over the months have made his pool rather limited is the issue here.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:32 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Trump isnt against any of that. He just claims he is. His GOP friends are all part of the globalist 0.1%, they all pushed for NAFTA and he is trying to get them on board his campaign and need their money too (Trump probably isnt even a billionaire).
Maybe he isn't, but he publicly says he is, and a large portion of his voters believe that. What it basically does is removes a line of attack they can make on her. You can't criticize her for supporting trade deals when your VP was the author of the most important recent and disliked one.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:36 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Trump will not pick Newt for VP.

Ivanka doesn't want it.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:38 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Maybe he isn't, but he publicly says he is, and a large portion of his voters believe that. What it basically does is removes a line of attack they can make on her. You can't criticize her for supporting trade deals when your VP was the author of the most important recent and disliked one.
Right. Newt on the ticket effectively takes the trade issue off the Trump campaign table.

Quote:
Gingrich has been a reliable advocate for free international trade, and a critic of both the politics and economics of protectionism.
In 1993, Gingrich supported NAFTA, and later argued for including Chile into the deal, with the eventual goal of having the entire Western Hemisphere as a free trade zone.
In 1994, Gingrich supported passage of GATT, which established fast track authority for the president and the WTO.
In 1998, Gingrich supported MFN status with China. And he supported free trade legislation between the United States and sub-Saharan African nations.
In 2010, Gingrich called for the creation of "Free Cities," Hong Kong-style free trade zones,
Newt Gingrich on Free Trade

Old 07-12-2016, 03:38 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
In a possibly related tell on the Veep choice for the Dems, Elizabeth Warren will speak on the first night of the convention, maybe indicating that she's not the Veep choice.

Looks more and more like Tim Kaine.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:41 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,700,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Very true!

But unless I'm mistaken, if this is true, this could get some 'old school' republicans behind Trump.
hmmm... you might be mistaken. The 'old school' republicans were the ones who forced newt out on that ethics issue. Can't see too many dyed-in-the-wool republicans going for this mashup. And, just in case - in preparation for an announcement that newt is the pick, the dems are probably gleefully going through old footage so they can launch a counter ad the minute it is announced. They will have so much stuff that they'll have trouble deciding on what to use first.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:43 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
In a possibly related tell on the Veep choice for the Dems, Elizabeth Warren will speak on the first night of the convention, maybe indicating that she's not the Veep choice.

Looks more and more like Tim Kaine.
I completely agree but I find it interesting that she's vetting Admiral Stavridis.
My hunch is it's a smokescreen for vetting him for a cabinet position, likely Secy of Defense.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:57 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Default It's Trump-Gingrich

Perfect!

The "party of family values" has running mates who treat wives like used cars.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:01 PM

416 posts, read 260,242 times
Okay, so it looks like i was wrong. I thought for sure the Donald would listen to his son and name Ivanka the Vice President. Now that it appears that won't happen and our good buddy Newt is moving up the food chain, i went scurrying to see what his marital history was/is.

The good news is there's only been three and the current one has been with him awhile (though his affair with her goes back way before he divorced #2). Frankly, i don't care about any of that, i'll leave that to all the right wingers who have spent most of their life chastising Bill and Hillary...i just know they'll be all over this choice due to their high moral fiber (wonder if that helps them crap better?).

This potential VP choice sent my mind to working (sometimes that's dangerous). I think the ultimate outcome would be for Newt to dump #3, Ivanka to shed her spouse and the Newt to wed the drop dead and really, really smart Ivanka. That way they could keep it all in the family and good lord, imagine the blood line when Ivanka and the Newtster start spewing out little ones.

OMG, presidential candidates for centuries to come.

And how about this one for their bumper sticker (i'm only doing this because my new rightie friends told me it was okay to trash politicians): The Dumpster, the Humpster and the Diva.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections