Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 04:57 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
The GOP party is really good at isolating people. I'm sure there are many minorities and women who agree with the GOP but taking unfavorable stances towards them on social issues has made them unfavorable.

I'll use me as an example. I'm a woman and an atheist. How many times I have seen the GOP using religion to try to make themselves more favorably, makes them more favorable towards one demographic but makes them much more unfavorable to another demographic.

I think if the GOP wants to be a long-lasting party they need to drop social issues and focus on economics only. AKA a more libertarian stance. Otherwise they will lose and the country will be Dem-controlled.
I really hope the primary election of Donald Trump shows the GOP that pandering to the religious right is not what most Republicans want or care about. And that next time they can put forth a candidate not hellbent on legislating from religious texts AND is not a racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 05:00 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,839,847 times
Quote:
The GOP party is really good at isolating people. I'm sure there are many minorities and women who agree with the GOP but taking unfavorable stances towards them on social issues has made them unfavorable.

I'll use me as an example. I'm a woman and an atheist. How many times I have seen the GOP using religion to try to make themselves more favorably, makes them more favorable towards one demographic but makes them much more unfavorable to another demographic.

I think if the GOP wants to be a long-lasting party they need to drop social issues and focus on economics only. AKA a more libertarian stance. Otherwise they will lose and the country will be Dem-controlled.
I am a Jewish woman and don't understand at all what you are saying. I have friends within the GOP who are woman and who are atheists as well. I have never felt isolated or felt that the principles of the party are unfavorable towards women. I have been part of the committee on the platform as well as part of the State delegations that have voted on the platform.

If you are an atheist, meaning you do not believe in the existence of a supreme being, why would you be concerned about whether or not someone else believes in God or not. I don't care that you don't believe in God, why should you care if I do?

Old 07-12-2016, 05:05 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
:d

Old 07-12-2016, 05:08 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,621,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
If it talks like a racist, and re-tweets like a racist... it seems pretty certain it is a racist. Arguments to the contrary fall on deaf ears.
I guess then that would include Obama, both Barak and Manchelle

Old 07-12-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I really hope the primary election of Donald Trump shows the GOP that pandering to the religious right is not what most Republicans want or care about. And that next time they can put forth a candidate not hellbent on legislating from religious texts AND is not a racist.
I find it amusing that your hatred of people who dont think like you, somehow makes you a tolerant liberal who gleefully points out how "racist" and inclusive the GOP party is, while proudly endorsing the party of slavery, the DNC. Why would you support a party that wanted to keep slavery alive? WHY you racist?

Old 07-12-2016, 05:14 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Exactly what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
I am a Jewish woman and don't understand at all what you are saying. I have friends within the GOP who are woman and who are atheists as well. I have never felt isolated or felt that the principles of the party are unfavorable towards women. I have been part of the committee on the platform as well as part of the State delegations that have voted on the platform.

If you are an atheist, meaning you do not believe in the existence of a supreme being, why would you be concerned about whether or not someone else believes in God or not. I don't care that you don't believe in God, why should you care if I do?
You have a religion so you don't get it entirely. Voting against LGBTQ rights because of what the Bible says (based on what a lot of anti-gay people say) is something I do not support whatsoever. I personally feel that I should not be under the influence of a religion if I personally choose not to be part of it, I'm not part of the LGBTQ community but I feel they should have the same religious freedom (the freedom of legislature not being based on religious text) as we all should.

People have been using religion to oppress those of other religions and the irreligious. It has been going on for centuries, and since you are Jewish you should definitely know about that. Frankly even though it's a little different now it's not too much different. How many things were changed in the 1950s because they were so afraid of atheism bringing communism here? Adding "In God" to the Pledge of Allegiance, on our currency, etc. that should not be there because the church and state are supposed to be separated, all because of the Red Scare. The 1950s wasn't too long ago, many people view atheism as a big no-no and they are mostly part of the religious right, who is a demographic working on isolating me from the GOP. I've noticed that Muslims, Christians, Hindus, etc. have more respect towards other religious even if it's another religion over atheists and agnostics.

Anyway I'm not going to get into an argument because it's not the right forum for it... This is the sentiment that many irreligious feel towards the GOP. That's all I'm pointing out.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:14 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:

I couldn't agree more. On the other hand, the democrats strategy has always been to pin one group against another. That's worked well for them in the past. Not so sure how long they can keep beating the same old drum like the "war against women" among others.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:18 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I couldn't agree more. On the other hand, the democrats strategy has always been to pin one group against another. That's worked well for them in the past. Not so sure how long they can keep beating the same old drum like the "war against women" among others.
True, the Dems aren't perfect in fact their strategy is also terrible, but at least they aren't excluding entire demographics based on social stances.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:21 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I find it amusing that your hatred of people who dont think like you, somehow makes you a tolerant liberal who gleefully points out how "racist" and inclusive the GOP party is, while proudly endorsing the party of slavery, the DNC. Why would you support a party that wanted to keep slavery alive? WHY you racist?
Are you serious? Like, really? You are attacking the Democrats based upon their party platform back in the 1850s!! I can't even. Your party is a party of racism TODAY. You elected a racist to represent your party TODAY. Think about that for a second an reanalyze your argument.

And I don't hate anybody. I'm just sure as heck not voting for a racist.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Are you serious? Like, really? You are attacking the Democrats based upon their party platform back in the 1850s!! I can't even. Your party is a party of racism TODAY. You elected a racist to represent your party TODAY. Think about that for a second an reanalyze your argument.

And I don't hate anybody. I'm just sure as heck not voting for a racist.
Sure, why not, isnt that what you do? Didnt you vote for Barak O'racist? Twice?

By the way..i am a registered independent..not a republican. Seems to me the Republican party seems to think that black people are perfectly capable of getting along without the plantation thinking of idiots like Hillary and Biden..who promise more entitlement to keep dem black folk in economic slavery..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections